MacGyver Reboot

CMac

Re: MacGyver Reboot

Post by CMac »

I just watched his interview in New Zealand, and he was saying that MacGyver wouldn't work now with our current technology. Well, I have one way that it could--but only if they brought RDA back from "retirement" like they did Jack O'Neill in Stargate.

Here's the premise: The US undergoes an EMP terrorist attack, similar to the one planned in Easy Target. Everything is wiped out--phones, electrical systems, etc. MacGyver has to come back as a consultant to figure out how to make things work again, help people out, get the infrastructure running again...you get the idea. That might be interesting, but again I don't see it happening. :(
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

I like your idea, CMac. I would vote for anything that brings RDA back on screen.
B
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

CMac wrote:I just watched his interview in New Zealand, and he was saying that MacGyver wouldn't work now with our current technology. Well, I have one way that it could--but only if they brought RDA back from "retirement" like they did Jack O'Neill in Stargate.

Here's the premise: The US undergoes an EMP terrorist attack, similar to the one planned in Easy Target. Everything is wiped out--phones, electrical systems, etc. MacGyver has to come back as a consultant to figure out how to make things work again, help people out, get the infrastructure running again...you get the idea. That might be interesting, but again I don't see it happening. :(
Wow GREAT script!!! Sounds good CMac! !
Lots of love,

Lies

eve59

Post by eve59 »

it is a very good idea to script

CMac

Post by CMac »

That's why I get paid the big bucks. ;) Just kidding! :lol:

No really, though--as a writer, I like to think of ideas like this. I've always thought we would need someone like MacGyver if anything that disastrous should occur. Consider how many of us are so reliant on technology that the old "arts", trades, and ways of doing things have been almost largely forgotten. We would definitely need someone with an imaginative and resourceful mind to help us recover.

Sadly, I don't see myself writing this concept because it's not my genre. If anyone else would like it though, please feel free to use it. I am very generous with my ideas. :D
themacgyverproject

Post by themacgyverproject »

I like your idea -- that's really good!

And here are my full thoughts on the reboot.
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... -idea.html
CMac

Post by CMac »

I read your blog, and I'm glad that you don't mind if they redo the show. To each his own, as they say. If people do get enjoyment out of it, that's fine. Who am I to judge?

As for me though, the idea of a redo still sickens and appalls me. :x I'm sorry if my words sound a little strong, but that's how passionate (and protective?) I am of the original MacGyver.
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

If I remember correctly there was a big brew-ha-ha when they announce the making of Star Trek Next Generation. I don't think the word reboot existed back then, but Trekkies all over the world didn't want to see the original cast replaced. But...look what that did for the Star Trek franchise. I'm with you. After giving this some thought, I think I'll give it a chance.
If you can't say anything nice.....

Anne

Post by Anne »

PamK1950 wrote:If I remember correctly there was a big brew-ha-ha when they announce the making of Star Trek Next Generation. I don't think the word reboot existed back then, but Trekkies all over the world didn't want to see the original cast replaced. But...look what that did for the Star Trek franchise. I'm with you. After giving this some thought, I think I'll give it a chance.
I agree with this, but - and here is where I personally do see the difference - ST TNG was not a Reboot. It was a Spin-off or even a 'sequel' if you will. The original cast was not 'replaced' - TNG had its very own platform and story and a different time period. Like SGA it took off from the original and moved forward with new characters and new (or in some ways new) stories. It was an adding, not a replacement. So was DS9 and Voyager (which I enjoyed most of all the ST series).

The real ST Reboot is the new Kirk/Spock/McCoy etc cast which simply do not exist in my ST TOS world - but it has grown into a big success as well.

This MacGyver Reboot is trying to mess with an already existing well-loved and well-known character, giving him a new face, a new backstory (maybe) and twist and turn our known canon of Mac much like the ST Reboot has done with my beloved TOS cast and canon. I will not watch this because for me it will be unbearable to watch. But it might be a big success and might keep the franchise alive, who knows? When it comes down to it, keeping the franchise alive will be beneficial for us 'old' Mac fans as well as there might be a new interest in the old show too which could mean new merchandise etc. But it's a huge 'if' of course -we just have to wait and see what is going to happen.
CMac

Post by CMac »

You know, this is slightly off-topic, but it relates to this discussion. I just heard today that Harrison Ford is doing another Indiana Jones, and he's older that RDA by a few years. He was also just in the most recent Star Wars, reprising his role of Han Solo. If he can do that in his 70's, why can't RDA be Mac again in his 60's? I mean granted, he might not have any interest and it's his life, but I imagine he would work great as MacGyver again. There are just some characters that cannot be played by other actors--Indiana Jones is one of them, Han Solo is another, and MacGyver also belongs on that list. It's different with a character like James Bond for some reason. He seems almost interchangeable. But Mac? No--it will and must always be RDA! :D