Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

bftlovesRDA

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by bftlovesRDA »

It's Friday!!!!!

Time for a discussion of the next Stargate Episode of the week = "First Commandment".

I'll start just by saying this episode is not one of my favorites. :( :( :(

Others please chime in on this discussion. :D :D :D
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Same as B, not my favorite but it has a lot of funny stuff!

It's got one of the classics:
"Does it say "Colonel" anywhere on my uniform?" when the uniform actually does not show any rank :lol:

And these lines between Daniel and Sam:
"This tastes like chicken."
"So what's wrong with it?"
"It's macaroni and cheese."
:D :D

I loved Jack's reaction when Sam recalls her time with Hanson, he seems annoyed, or jealous I don't know... :lol:

Oh and Teal'c's "friendly smile" is amazing too! :lol:

So to me this episode is not much about the story, which is kind of basic (but it was only the beginning after all), and more about the humor we can find in many scenes which make it a good one to watch :)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Juliette wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:39 pm Same as B, not my favorite but it has a lot of funny stuff!

It's got one of the classics:
"Does it say "Colonel" anywhere on my uniform?" when the uniform actually does not show any rank :lol:

And these lines between Daniel and Sam:
"This tastes like chicken."
"So what's wrong with it?"
"It's macaroni and cheese."
:D :D

I loved Jack's reaction when Sam recalls her time with Hanson, he seems annoyed, or jealous I don't know... :lol:

Oh and Teal'c's "friendly smile" is amazing too! :lol:

So to me this episode is not much about the story, which is kind of basic (but it was only the beginning after all), and more about the humor we can find in many scenes which make it a good one to watch :)
Thanks for your comments, Juliette.

You're right about the funny lines, especially about the one where Jack says, "Does it say "Colonel" anywhere on my uniform?" THAT IS A CLASSIC line!

The basic story is one of a regular man (Jonas Hanson) deciding he was "God" for these cave dwelling (cone head :roll: :roll: ) people. The episode is full of Biblical terms, like "savior", "belief", "seven days", "temple", "salvation", "worship", "sacrifices","Abraham", "devils","demons", "hell" "Lord", by implication - the Bible - and, of course, the "first commandment" which is stated by Jack at the very end of the episode and then corrected to state it wasn't the first commandment he was thinking of - it was the one about not killing. The first commandment, as stated by Carter, is the one about you shall have no other Gods before me, ergo the title of the episode is appropriate for Hanson's megalomania.

We learned that Sam had been engaged to Hanson earlier = and I thought it was funny when she said, when talking about what did she see in a guy like Hanson, she said, "I guess I always had a soft place in my heart for the lunatic fringe...."

I thought it was a bit interesting that on a planet where the sun beat down on the people and exposed them to extreme radiation it was cold enough to see your breath.,...guess you could have that kind of cold on a planet with lots of sunshine but just thought it was interesting and not sure if it was about the fickle Canadian (cold) weather for filming that episode or what.

I thought the part about the machine that made the sky turn orange (put a shield over the land) was sort of weird. Can't put my finger on why I thought that, but just did.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I also got tired of seeing their skin all covered with sun scorched spots...but that's just me. :roll: :roll: :roll:

So, I thought this episode was just "okay", not a favorite at all.
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

bftlovesRDA wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:17 pm I thought it was a bit interesting that on a planet where the sun beat down on the people and exposed them to extreme radiation it was cold enough to see your breath.,...guess you could have that kind of cold on a planet with lots of sunshine but just thought it was interesting and not sure if it was about the fickle Canadian (cold) weather for filming that episode or what.

I thought the part about the machine that made the sky turn orange (put a shield over the land) was sort of weird. Can't put my finger on why I thought that, but just did.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I think the visible breath is just a Canadian thing they could not get rid of and probably just ignored it :lol:
I mean.. this planet seems to be very hot, I don't see anyone shivering, more sweating and hiding from the sun ^^
So it looks like a oops to me ;)

The strange thing with that machine is why it even exists. Did the goa'ulds care about their slaves to invent such a device? Seems odd..

Oh and yes, those 'cone heads' were scary! :?
Last edited by Juliette on Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

The First Commandment

First of all, I have to say , I like this episode.
It contains a lot of funny quotes.

A team is missing and Sg1 is sent to see what happened.
They find one member (Conner), another one is dead and it is supposed to be the fault of the commanding officer of the team.
Supposedly he has become megalomaniac and considers himself to be God. He enslaves the inhabitants of this planet and forces them to build a temple, with people dying in droves, but it does not matter to him. The conditions on this planet barely allow life, the sun burns during the day without a break and makes people blind and the skin burn.

Does it say "Colonel" anywhere on my uniform?

Only at night can one move safely outdoors, that Hanson and his people use to abduct Conner, after she learned of the arrival of Sg 1.Image
Hanson lets him tether in the blazing sun and Jack and his team create a plan for his rescue.

Sam has had a relationship with Hanson in the past and believes she could defuse the situation and volunteers to enter the lion's den
without Jack's knowledge.
she has the chance to kill him, but she can not.
While Sam talks to Hanson, Jack tries to rescue the captured Conner, but gets caught and dragged to Hanson.

Hanson forces Sam to bring the device to work, which he keeps hidden in the cave by threatening to shoot Jack.
Sam manages to get the device up and Hanson thinks he can strengthen his power, but what he does not know is that there is a second device needed to create the shield, to protect the planet from the agressive sun.
Daniel and Teal'c find the second device and make it work, too.
Hanson has meanwhile gathered his people in front of the Stargate and wants to execute Jack and Conner by throwing them into the activated gate, which he placed in the horizontal, he tells his people to send the demons back to hell.

Hanson claims he could turn the sky orange to demonstrate his power, but when the device is activated, nothing happens. Daniel explains why it does not work, that you need a second device and demonstrates it. People are beginning to doubt Hanson.
ImageImage
Daniel persuades the natives that Hanson is not a god and the humans throw Hanson into the activated gate.

Sam doubts herself and her actions. She could have killed Hanson but could not. Jack tells her "killing a man is not a badge of honor" and would only make her become Hanson. (Maybe not the soldier speaks in him, but a caring friend)

Jack points to the Sixth Commandment, in contrast to Hanson's distortion of the First -No-Murder.
O'Neill: Look, I'm not an expert on this thing. I generally remember a commandment, I think it's the first one.
Carter: I am the Lord, your God, and you shall not take any other gods before me?
O'Neill: Okay, it's not the first one.

My conclusion, a successful episode. There are undoubtedly better episodes, but seriously much worse! Considering that it's one of the early episodes, I'm more than happy with it.

Note in the end - I love him in the potato sack outfit ;)

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Thanks, JK, for your comment and the nice screenshots. I really love them. :D

I like the episode also, although it is not one of my favourites.

First of all: Here for the first time, the humor, that is so special for SG1 shows itself. You all mentioned the classic line "Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?" Just one example. There are many more, situations and lines.

The episode gives also a nice sight into the team dynamics. Although Jack is the leader, he doesn't bite Sam's and Connor's head off when they clearly disobey an order (returning to earth to report Hammond). He is open for their suggestions. Later, when he is on recon, and Sam just marches (against orders again) into the camp to stop Hanson, he never critizises her for that. He even comforts her in the end, when she doubts herself, because she couldn't shoot Hanson altough she had had the chance to do so.

What I think is remarkable, too, is, the sentence: Killing a man is not a badge of honor.
It shows Jack's human side. He is a soldier, he will kill his enemies, if he has to, it is part of his job, but he is not enjoying it.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thank you, Anja, and JK, for your comments on this episode.

Especially love the screenshots that you posted, JK. And I know you liked the potato sack clothing for Jack.....but I did not like it at all......so we can just agree to disagree on that...... :( :( ;) ;) :roll: :roll:
B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Juliette, yes I like the 'funny' quotes added in also. :D
JK, love the screen shots. :D

This episode is not a favorite of mine. :|
I think the writer wanted to show how the SG teams can influence other worlds, by showing the dark side of Earth's human influence.
Hanson, an SG team who earlier was sent to this planet, looses mental stability on his mission and wants to be worshipped as a god to a primitive people. He demands all to obey, enslaving all and putting to death non-followers.
I don't like leaders who use their position to corrupt others and others who choose to follow this leader without objection. That's one of the reasons it's not my favorite episodes. :x
SG1 follows up on Hanson's team and finds his fall into madness.
"Not any one thing' changed Hanson into this madness. Previous war experience, the sun's destructive influence on the body, his dreams of being a controlling leader, and the indigenous people's need for hope in a leader all had a hypnotic, combined effect.
Carter knows of Hanson's control first hand, being an ex fiancé of his. She attempts to 'get to him' (to bring him back) but gets taken by him.
SG1 tries a different route. They make contact with one of the people, they gain approval, and gives them hope for freedom.
The final struggle takes place at the Stargate.
SG1 brings truth to the people about all of Hanson's lies. They fix and turn on a device that frees the people from the sun's environmental destruction which has them living in darkness and in caves. They free them by ending Hanson's rule.
At the Gate where is all began, SG1 leaves the people in a better place in spite of the initial influence of malice.
I'm glad it ended in a good place between the two worlds. Lessons learned on both sides. :D

Jerseycoconut
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Jerseycoconut wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 pm Juliette, yes I like the 'funny' quotes added in also. :D
JK, love the screen shots. :D

This episode is not a favorite of mine. :|
I think the writer wanted to show how the SG teams can influence other worlds, by showing the dark side of Earth's human influence.
Hanson, an SG team who earlier was sent to this planet, looses mental stability on his mission and wants to be worshipped as a god to a primitive people. He demands all to obey, enslaving all and putting to death non-followers.
I don't like leaders who use their position to corrupt others and others who choose to follow this leader without objection. That's one of the reasons it's not my favorite episodes. :x
SG1 follows up on Hanson's team and finds his fall into madness.
"Not any one thing' changed Hanson into this madness. Previous war experience, the sun's destructive influence on the body, his dreams of being a controlling leader, and the indigenous people's need for hope in a leader all had a hypnotic, combined effect.
Carter knows of Hanson's control first hand, being an ex fiancé of his. She attempts to 'get to him' (to bring him back) but gets taken by him.
SG1 tries a different route. They make contact with one of the people, they gain approval, and gives them hope for freedom.
The final struggle takes place at the Stargate.
SG1 brings truth to the people about all of Hanson's lies. They fix and turn on a device that frees the people from the sun's environmental destruction which has them living in darkness and in caves. They free them by ending Hanson's rule.
At the Gate where is all began, SG1 leaves the people in a better place in spite of the initial influence of malice.
I'm glad it ended in a good place between the two worlds. Lessons learned on both sides. :D

Jerseycoconut
Nice commentary, Jerseycoconut. THANKS for posting.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hello, everyone.

Guess it's time to discuss the next Stargate Episode = Cold Lazarus.

This episode is a favorite of mine because it shows a side of Colonel O'Neill that is not seen in other places in the series. It takes up evidently where the original movie left off in terms of dealing with the death of his son.

Hope others will leave their comments....I will chime in later with more of mine.
B