Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

JackGywer

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by JackGywer »

I do not want to comment on this episode!
If you can not say anything nice, do not say anything, my motto this week!! :oops: :?
Sorry :oops:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
eurmos

Post by eurmos »

Unfortunately, there are still countries where women are treated as slaves and second class citizens.Even here in America where we are all supposed to be free there are men who treat their girlfriends/wives with little to no respect and expect them to serve their every want. These women live in what is considered abusive relationships whether it is physical or not. They are emotionally abused which in many ways is even worse than physical abuse because the scars are on the inside instead of on the surface. The cuts go deeper when they are mental/emotional cuts and do not heal over time. Both types of abuse can prove deadly. Physical abuse can escalate to the point of homicide and emotional abuse can lead to suicide. We all need to unleash our "inner Sam" and stand up for ourselves or those close to us who are going through this.

Unleash your "Inner Sam"!
Beth
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

JackGywer wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:16 pm I do not want to comment on this episode!
If you can not say anything nice, do not say anything, my motto this week!! :oops: :?
Sorry :oops:
LOL! It was not a favorite of mine either. It felt to me like the writers decided they needed to justify Sam as a member of the team, as if that was ever in doubt. However, I was grateful, at least, that the TEAM did not seem to feel the need for Sam to prove herself. When she was abducted, the rest of the team went after her because you don't leave a team member behind, not because she was a woman. And when she faced combat, Jack had every confidence that she could take care of herself. At least they got it over with early on and she didn't have to keep proving herself throughout the series.

Kate
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

eurmos wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:41 pm Unfortunately, there are still countries where women are treated as slaves and second class citizens.Even here in America where we are all supposed to be free there are men who treat their girlfriends/wives with little to no respect and expect them to serve their every want. These women live in what is considered abusive relationships whether it is physical or not. They are emotionally abused which in many ways is even worse than physical abuse because the scars are on the inside instead of on the surface. The cuts go deeper when they are mental/emotional cuts and do not heal over time. Both types of abuse can prove deadly. Physical abuse can escalate to the point of homicide and emotional abuse can lead to suicide. We all need to unleash our "inner Sam" and stand up for ourselves or those close to us who are going through this.

Unleash your "Inner Sam"!

Well said! Just today Bill Cosby has been convicted of abusing a woman -one of many it seems. The "me too" movement has taken off. I feel sorry for Bill Cosby even though what he did if he did it is disgusting and horrible. But he is 80 years old and will probably die in prison. And I used to think so highly of him. Shows that even paragons of virtue can have hidden traits that are sickening, especially when it comes to how some men treat women.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

It's Friday, so time to start the discussion of the next Stargate Episode: "The Broca Divide".

Please someone get the comments started....I'll chime in later. :D :D :D
B
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

The Broca Divide.....one of my favourites in the first season.

First we get to know the military point of view. The missions are about to find allies and technology to fight the goau'ld. Everything else isn't very important. Col. O'Neill makes it very clear that he is not interested in cultural research when SG1 visits a planet with two different societies; in the Land of Light live people similar to the bronce age, in the Land of the Dark live cavemen like people. It turns out that they are called "The Touched" and are people from the Land of Light who change suddenly into cavemen and have to live then on the dark side of the planet.
The goaul'd haven't been there for at least a generation.
Daniel argues with passion for his point of view to study the societies and gets back up by the president.
But before they can return to the planet a plague breaks out at the SGC and people turn into a cavemen like state. Janet Frasier struggles to find a cure. More and more people get infected, even General Hammond.

The scene between Jack and Sam in the locker room....a classic in my opinion. When she grabbs him, kisses him, his facial expression is priceless.
And we get to know (for the first time) that he has feelings for her. When she asks him "Do you want me?" he answers "Not like that!".
Later he gets infected too and attacks Daniel, because he doesn't want Daniel to talk about "Samantha".

In the struggle to find a cure Teal'c (nice, Janet calls him Mr. Teal'c) and Daniel return to the planet to get blood samples from the people of the Land of Light; Daniel is captured by the cavemen. Tealc returns with a blood sample to the SGC. Janet finds a cure and can heal all the infected people in the SGC.

Really great the scenes between "caveman" Jack and Janet Frasier when he asks her for more sedatives and tries to communicate somehow with her and asks her to experiment on him to find a cure.

They return to the planet, find and cure Daniel (who has been infected in the meantime) and show the people of the Land of Light how to cure all the infected inhabitants of the dark side of the planet.

In the end Sam is embarassed about her behaviour and tries to apologize, but Jack says he wouldn't even remember her behaviour. Clearly a lie as he asks her about her stomach wound and that he was concerned because if it didn't heal properly he was afraid she would "never wear that sweet little tanktop number again". Hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here we can see the special relationship that is beginning to evolve between those two.

I liked especially the great scenes between Jack and Sam and Jack and Janet. Great episode IMHO.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

NiLa wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:21 pm The Broca Divide.....one of my favourites in the first season.

First we get to know the military point of view. The missions are about to find allies and technology to fight the goau'ld. Everything else isn't very important. Col. O'Neill makes it very clear that he is not interested in cultural research when SG1 visits a planet with two different societies; in the Land of Light live people similar to the bronce age, in the Land of the Dark live cavemen like people. It turns out that they are called "The Touched" and are people from the Land of Light who change suddenly into cavemen and have to live then on the dark side of the planet.
The goaul'd haven't been there for at least a generation.
Daniel argues with passion for his point of view to study the societies and gets back up by the president.
But before they can return to the planet a plague breaks out at the SGC and people turn into a cavemen like state. Janet Frasier struggles to find a cure. More and more people get infected, even General Hammond.

The scene between Jack and Sam in the locker room....a classic in my opinion. When she grabbs him, kisses him, his facial expression is priceless.
And we get to know (for the first time) that he has feelings for her. When she asks him "Do you want me?" he answers "Not like that!".
Later he gets infected too and attacks Daniel, because he doesn't want Daniel to talk about "Samantha".

In the struggle to find a cure Teal'c (nice, Janet calls him Mr. Teal'c) and Daniel return to the planet to get blood samples from the people of the Land of Light; Daniel is captured by the cavemen. Tealc returns with a blood sample to the SGC. Janet finds a cure and can heal all the infected people in the SGC.

Really great the scenes between "caveman" Jack and Janet Frasier when he asks her for more sedatives and tries to communicate somehow with her and asks her to experiment on him to find a cure.

They return to the planet, find and cure Daniel (who has been infected in the meantime) and show the people of the Land of Light how to cure all the infected inhabitants of the dark side of the planet.

In the end Sam is embarassed about her behaviour and tries to apologize, but Jack says he wouldn't even remember her behaviour. Clearly a lie as he asks her about her stomach wound and that he was concerned because if it didn't heal properly he was afraid she would "never wear that sweet little tanktop number again". Hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here we can see the special relationship that is beginning to evolve between those two.

I liked especially the great scenes between Jack and Sam and Jack and Janet. Great episode IMHO.

Anja ;)
Fantastic comments, Anja.

I liked this episode very much also.....especially about the interaction between Sam and Jack......the kissing scene in the locker room was "mad"(as in "crazy wild"), but as you say it clearly showed that Jack already in the series had feelings for Sam - since he said to her, (as you say), when she said, "You want me don't you?....he says "not like this!" And I loved the wise crack at the end about Sam's sweet little tank top number......so, he will NOT forget her passionate, but wild, kissing spree. I also loved the scene where when Jack tells Daniel that Sam tried to seduce him (Jack), and Daniel responds, "Oh you poor man...", that was a brief moment of hilarity, IMHO. :D :lol: :D iThen, the infected Jack tells Daniel to stay away from Sam because it's Samantha they were talking about....when Daniel says she cares about Sam as a friend, Jack says, "she's not yours to care about".........and then Jack tries to beat Daniel to a pulp. Very cool scene....... Yes, the relationship that is likely going to blossom between Jack and Sam gets a pretty passionate start right here in this early episode.....even if they were both infected by the virus.

I totally agree about this episode being a favorite = of mine too. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all your comments. Well worth reading them. :D :D :D Hope others will post their comments as well.
Last edited by bftlovesRDA on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

I also wanted to discuss the apparent cut beside and over Jack's left eye.

I wondered if this was something that actually happened to RDA in the filming of this episode because it appears the cut is bandaged right after the attack by the "Touched" people. When did they have time to bandage it that extensively? The screen shots at Gateworld are too dark to show Jack's face right after that attack, but in watching the replay of this episode, the bandage can be clearly seen right after they are attacked and while they are deciding who these people are.

My thought was that maybe RDA was actually injured when they were filming the attack in the dark and they had to write the injury into the script as being there on his forehead with the bandages in place even though they didn't really have time nor did they show others putting the bandages on the side of his eye. Just wondering about this.

I know RDA was asked about injuries during the filming of MacGyver but I have never heard what he said or if he said anything about real injuries during the filming of Stargate.

Again, just wondering.....Did anybody else notice this?
B
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

The Broca Divide

This is one of my absolute favorite episodes.
They bring a disease from the mission on a planet, everyone who participated in the mission sick gradually.
The affected become aggressive, showing progressively more and more primitive behaviors.
Their physical appearance even changes, taking on the appearance of primitive cavemen.

We learn, Jack and Sam have feelings for each other.
Sam attacks her commander in the locker room and starts kissing him wildly (poor Jack :lol: )

For the first time, Doctor Fraiser appears,really good performace. Great start!
Liked the character immediately.

The interaction between Janet and Jack are really great.
Jack helps Janet solve the puzzle by asking her
more sedative. For the first time you can see how stubborn he can be and what a soft heart Janet has.
Through Jack's stubbornness,
Janet finds out that the more sedative she uses, the more can Jack suppress the primitive impulses. Jack does not physically change as much as others! Why? Is it possibly due to the ancient gene? Could be an explanation that you can use only many years later.
Jack insists that she experiment with him, she refuses first (Love this scene)

What is interesting is the fact that both Janet and Daniel do not get sick and get the answer later, it's part of the solution. Why Teal'c does not get sick can be explained immediately, his symbiont protects him.
Teal'c and Daniel return to the planet to get a blood sample from an immune person.
You can see in this episode, Daniel is a thoroughly social person with a good heart.
He puts himself and the mission in danger by helping a girl and so gets captured and eventually falls ill with the "virus".
Shockingly, I found the hardness of Tuplo to his daughter.
For him and the rest of the people in the Land of Light she was lost-dead.
You can not imagine that, but they did not know what to do and had to protect the rest of the people,
because they thought it was a curse.
Horrible.

Teal'c gets a blood sample (the donor gave it not entirely voluntaryand) returns to Earth without Daniel.
Great scene when Teal'c visits Jack in his cell and apologizes to him for leaving Daniel behind. Image

Janet can figure out what's causing this disease and find an antidote. Immune is only those who have hardly any histamine in their blood.
That explains why Daniel and Janet did not get sick. Both suffer from histamine intolerance.
ImageImage

She tests the antidote to Jack. And it works!
Jack is the old one again, which he immediately proves!
What did I laugh, Teal'c facial expression-priceless!

Teal'c: Col. O'Neill?
Col. O'Neill: [imitating Desi Arnaz] Lucy, I'm home!
Teal'c: I am not Lucy.
Col. O'Neill: I know that. It's a reference to an old TV—never mind, open the door.
Teal'c: I will summon the doctor.
Col. O'Neill: No, come on. I'm fine. I'm back to being myself. Just open up.
Teal'c: I cannot be certain that you are back to being yourself. You referred to me as "Lucy."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After all have received the antidote, they return to the planet! They find Daniel, give him the antidote and convince the inhabitants of the Land of Light that they have a cure for the disease.
It was hard work convincing that it was a disease and not a curse.

The end made me smile!
Sam tried to apologize to Jack for her earlier behavior.
Jack pretended he did not know what she was talking about.
And than that:

Capt. Carter: [uncomfortably] About my earlier behavior... I wasn't myself, and—
Col. O'Neill: Oh, Carter, I don't even remember your earlier behavior.
Capt. Carter: You don't?
Col. O'Neill: No, I was infected too, remember?
Capt. Carter: [relieved] Right! Good, I'm—I'm glad.
Col. O'Neill: By the way, how's the wound?
Capt. Carter: Wound?
Col. O'Neill: I understand you got stabbed in the stomach?
Capt. Carter: Oh, yeah, that—that was nothing. With any luck, there won't even be a scar.
Col. O'Neill: Well, good. I was concerned.
Capt. Carter: You were?
Col. O'Neill: Sure. [smiles] If it doesn't heal properly, you'll never wear that sweet little tank top number again.
[She stops in her tracks at that, and he keeps on walking.]

Absolute praise to the costumes and make up in this episode!
The make-up artists have done a terrific job.
Through and through a great episode and is and remains one of my favorite episodes.

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Absolutely love your comments (the narration of what went on in this episode) and the screencaps that go with them, JK.

Thank you for the effort to put that summary together!

I totally agree with you - this is one of my all time favorite episodes too.

Jack is especially good in his "infected" state = and I love the kindness of Tealc when he lowers the Colonel down on his bunk and puts the blanket over him = after Jack gets the injection of the antidote to the disease.

All in all, a fantastic episode and an excellent commentary! Thank you. :D :D :D :D
B