Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Jerseycoconut

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Ready for the next episode anyone? :)

Cor-ai

Do I like it the episode? I liked the team sticking together, accepting each others past. :D
I can't remember any funny lines in this episode. It's about what is done during war. War is never funny.

Cor-ai is the trial for the guilty. On the planet of Cartago, it is where the one who suffers a loss, leads the trial and decides what punishment should fit the crime (because the sufferer understands the pain that was inflicted). The village will stand and witness the trial.
The prosecutor, Hanno, has witnessed Teal'c murder his father.
The defendant is Teal'c. His co-council is Col. O'Neill, Sam, and Daniel.
Teal'c is accused of killing Hanno's father as ordered by Apothis, during an attack many years earlier.
Teal'c will not defend himself. 'This one case represents the many I have killed over the years. I will not run'.
O'Neill explains to Teal'c that Apothis ordered him to kill, and Apothis must be the one held responsible and accountable.
This trial is held for the verdict and punishment of the guilty. The team must lessen the punishment from death.
'Teal'c is no longer the same man. He fights now to save people from the Gou'ald.'
Daniel inquires about the history of the people. 'Our defense from the Gou'ald is to run and hide, to vanish like a flock of birds. If one cannot get away from the attack, then no one will leave.' Hanno's father was injured and left with one leg, unable to get away. Apothis ordered Teal'c to kill one of the people. Teal'c chose his father seeing his injury and knowing he would slow the others down. He killed the weakest, to save the village.
Hanno hears the argument as compelling, but this does not negate Teal'c's part. "I will not hear it. It cannot bring back my father. You are guilty, and will die by your weapon like my father did."
Accepting his sentence of death, Teal'c volunteers his symboite for study and experimental study in the fight of the Gou'ald.
O'Neill will not leave Teal'c behind and wants a show of force to free Teal'c. He seeks out Gen. Hammond's help. But, Gen. Hammond's point of view is "We don't get involved in other peoples affairs. He is a war criminal." [Not pro-team SG1 at all]
Jack is so angry. [Which is preformed beautifully!] His own feelings of 'guilt' for the things done during war, sets him off. "I have spent a lot of years in service and ordered to do damned distasteful things. I will not allow him to be executed." [I believe O'Neill has shared with us a part that a soldier does not share with an acquaintance, guilt of war. He is sharing the quilt recognized by a fellow soldier. He must be set free.]
Upon returning to Cartago, Jack and Sam, find the village is under fire by the Gou'ald. The escape route is discovered and the people are cornered.
Teal'c helps fight the Gou'ald, gets wounded, and instead of escaping back to Earth, wants to stay for his punishment.
Hanno sees Teal'c has changed. He declares, my memory has faded. The Gou'ald which I remember has died.
Teal'c is cleared of the charge and tears up. He accepts the forgiveness from Hanno. [and perhaps forgives himself, he doesn't say, not much with words, you know Teal'c.]

[Sorry, it was another book.] :oops:

Jerseycoconut - Peace :D
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Thank you Jerseycoconut for the great summary and comments! Great to read!

My comment will be shorter
At first, I didn't want to watch it again because it felt like a rather boring episode, but I did anyway..
And I actually enjoyed it more than the previous times, thanks to this thread which makes me analyse more the episodes, scenes and characters to build my comment here :)

So this episode is not really about action, we meet a people and its culture, but the main focus is on their notion of trial and justice. It's interesting to see the differences with a trial on earth, an indeed, if the victim is the judge, it cannot be fair...

This episode brings the team even closer to each other: they learn more about each other and still stand together and refuse to leave anyone behind (which is something the people of Cartago understand very well)

Teal'c has really changed, we all can be sure of that from now on
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Juliette wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:00 am Thank you Jerseycoconut for the great summary and comments! Great to read!

At first, I didn't want to watch it again because it felt like a rather boring episode, but I did anyway..
And I actually enjoyed it more than the previous times, thanks to this thread which makes me analyse more the episodes, scenes and characters to build my comment here :)

So this episode is not really about action, we meet a people and its culture, but the main focus is on their notion of trial and justice. It's interesting to see the differences with a trial on earth, an indeed, if the victim is the judge, it cannot be fair...

This episode brings the team even closer to each other: they learn more about each other and still stand together and refuse to leave anyone behind (which is something the people of Cartago understand very well)

Yes, Juliette!
I agree. It takes me sometimes a second time watching to get to the heart of the episode. And even then, it can have a second meaning behind it.
I enjoy the stories (near real or someone's imagination) because it can bring me to see the various way others live and think, and perhaps, I can even reconsider my 'sheltered way' of thinking.
Thanks for the great comment!

Jerseycoconut :D
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Jerseycoconut wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:04 pm
Juliette wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:00 am Thank you Jerseycoconut for the great summary and comments! Great to read!

Yes, Juliette!
I agree. It takes me sometimes a second time watching to get to the heart of the episode. And even then, it can have a second meaning behind it.
I enjoy the stories (near real or someone's imagination) because it can bring me to see the various way others live and think, and perhaps, I can even reconsider my 'sheltered way' of thinking.
Thanks for the great comment!

Thank you Juliette and jerseycoconut for your wise and good comments on this episode. It is not one of my favorites, but the overall theme as you said, jerseycoconut, about guilt in time of war, is a fairly deep one. Teal'c and Jack have the main roles and each plays their part so well.

Thanks again for your comments.

And here are some screenshots from Cor-Ai: (thanks to Gateworld).

B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Maybe we should get to the next episode: Enigma

In this episode, we meet the Tollans, a technologically advanced people.
Some of them need saving, so SG-1 does so, even after one of them told Carter "don't help us" after grabbing her arm..

Turns out they are pretty stubborn, they do not wish to share their culture, their hisory, and of course their technology (except for Narim who is a sweet guy). Narim even explains to Sam why they are reluctant to share their technology: they gave it to the people of the neighboring planet, who ended up destroying themselves, and caused Tollan's destruction as a consequence.

So earthlings are called primitive again! :lol:
I never really liked the Tollans, although they are an important part of the series, probably for their stubbornness, but I completely understand their reasons, and in their place, I think I probably wouldn't share either ^^

It's also the first time we meet Maybourne, also a future important character, never liked him either :roll:

We see some old friends: the people from the land of light, and I didn't remember but we do see the Nox here.. well, at least one of them: the girl we will see some seasons later during a 'trial' on the Tollans' new planet

My favorite line is Jack's "God I love those people!" with a big cute smile on his face, talking about the Nox. Oh Jack, we love them too! ;)

So an episode composed of many discoveries which establish several promising story arcs for the future of the show. A great episode :)
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Great images B. Ready for the next episode?

Enigma

I liked this episode, because it can hold hope that all can change. ;)
Stargate Command, the whole team, receive the MVP award for their ability to overlook the shortcoming of this new people.

SG1 journey to a planet and discover it has had a catastrophic volcanic eruption. They risk their lives to rescue the survivors dying at the gate and bring them back to Earth. The Tollen leader is unappreciative, and arrogant; quite baffling. :shock: :o

Recalling the episode, these 'highly knowledgeable' people . . . .
* watched half their team die at the gate instead of dialing out to another planet and save themselves :? :shock: :o
* their initial request of SG1 was, 'Don't save us' :o
* once on Earth, any suggestions for relocations are unacceptable and insult, not only Earth, but other planets who offer them help, "your too primitive.." :? :shock: :oops:
AND* They were not preemptive to seek their own help when they knew their planet was dying for generations :roll:

The Tollen used no 'common sense' with all their superior intelligence. But, SG1 and Gen. Hammond overlook all the insults Omoc can dish out and even rescue them further from Col. Mayburne (at great professional risk) and continue to try to relocate them. Col. Mayburne, of the National Intelligence Agency, came to incarcerate the refugees and use them for study and thieve their advance technology for weapons of war. :oops: :roll:

Sam gets close to Narim, shows him life on Earth (and how we kiss. ;) ) Daniel wants to learn Omoc's culture and befriends him. :) Omoc allows Daniel to walk thru walls with him using some advanced technology. I think Daniel is the turning point in Omoc's thinking of Earthlinks. He tries explaining theory of advanced light travel and Daniel admits it's beyond him. :oops: To know one's limit gets Omoc respect. ;) :)
After explaining Mayburne's intent is not all American's intentions, they contact the Nox with Omoc's technology.
[My favorite part] :D Lya, of the Nox comes to the SGC to accept the Tollen to her planet. Col. Mayburne has hissy fit when the Tollen proceed to the Gate. Lya comments to SG1, "Your race has learned nothing - but, you have." She uses her abilities (of course with no force or violence) and welcomes the Tollen to their new home. :) :)
In the words of Col. O'Neill, "God, I love those people!". ;) Yah for the Team! :D :lol: :D Yah for the Nox! :D :P :D

Jerseycoconut ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thank you Juliette and Jerseycoconut for this discussion of "Enigma", the next Stargate Episode.

Juliette wrote: " So an episode composed of many discoveries which establish several promising story arcs for the future of the show. A great episode :)"

Yes, I agree this episode is a basis for several future story arcs that carry through the entire series. So, in that way it is important. I guess I just don't like the relationship that Narim has with Carter.....simply because I am a Sam/Jack ultra fan. So for that reason, this is not one of my favorites.

Jereseycoconut wrote: " In the words of Col. O'Neill, "God, I love those people!". ;) Yah for the Team! :D :lol: :D Yah for the Nox! :D :P :D"

I love those words of Col. O'Neill also and the reason he spoke them.

Here are some screenshots from this episode:

B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Another Friday! Another episode! Almost the end of season one.

Solitudes

This episode is one of my favorites.
The possibility of loosing someone in Gate travel and to what end SGC will search to find them is explored.

Best job of acting by both Amanda Tapping & RDA!! Awards to each! :D :D

"Incoming traveler" but, somethings amiss. :?
"System overload" :o :shock: Daniel and Teal'c thrown thru the base Gate. Col. O'Neill and Sam end up in a dark, frozen underground cave next to an unfamiliar gate. :o
Jack has broken leg and other internal injuries. :( Sam painfully splints it. They ration food, batteries, water, etc. and work on rescuing themselves.
They find the DHD frozen under a sheet of ice and have to chip away at it until it is accessible.

Back at the SGC, they work on locating and rescuing the two missing teammates. Teal'c and Daniel work on all the theories of function and which is the best possible exploration of rescue. They check out each Gate address from last destination and back to Earth).

Sam and Jack attempt to dial out but, do not have enough power. Supplies are gone, both are hypothermic. Both try to keep hope up. They lie together to combine body heat. Jack jokes, 'It's my side arm!' :lol: The relationship between Sam and Jack is close, but , as close as (my guess), teammates. Sam remembers to reset the DHD, Jack has gotten weaker. :( Still not enough power for the DHD, only vibrations.
Trying to activate the Gate sets off earth shaking waves which can be felt by Daniel and read by USGS. ;) . [https://earthquake.USGS.gov/earthquakes/map] ;)

Daniel gets the idea of a second Gate on Earth. 8-) SGC gets confirmation of seismic activity located by McMurdo Base. :o

Sam and Jack go to plan B. That is to climb up the egress and seek help. Sam climbs but sees only an ice planet. With no hope, she slides violently back inside. :( :cry: They lay next to each other. Jack so weak, slipping away, calls for Sara, his ex-wife. :cry: Sam answers as if she were Sara to comfort him. 'You can sleep now.' ' It's been an honor to serve with you.'

Rescue arrives!! :D :) :D They go home! :D General Hammond looks at the Gate (I can image him thinking, "Another one!?!" :shock: )

RDA acts sooo excellent in this one, and with very little movement. His facial expressions, tremors in his voice, really make you believe he is in pain and freezing to death. Excellent job also to Amanda for getting frustrated and spending her all!

bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Bravo, Jerseycoconut, for your summary of SOLITUDES, one of my very favorite episodes also!

I totally agree with you that both RDA and Amanda Tapping did an especially outstanding job of acting in this episode.

It was so sad to see Jack going downhill physically but he managed to keep his spirits up in some ways.

When he gets to the lowest point, when he says, "Sam, I'm dying. Follow my order, please....." it makes my heart melt.

Then when he says, "It's been an honor serving with you....." = another tear filled moment.

Then when he calls out Sarah's name and Sam says, I'm here......(as if she were Sarah).....well, another angst filled moment.

When Sam finally says, "You can sleep now."......we know that apart from Gen. Hammond and Teal'c and Daniel's last minute intervention, it would have been over for Jack......so again, all these scenes tug on the heart.

My only complaint is that I wish they could have gone on longer and focused more on the healing process that would have had to have taken place....that would have been a good part of the story too.

Here are some screenshots from this awesome episode: (Since it is dark in most of the episode, some of these are hard to see clearly.)

B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

B,

Great images! Most of this episode was about the face and yes, all that heart 'tugging.' :D
Hate seeing injured, especially our favorite people!

Jerseycoconut