Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Juliette

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by Juliette »

Politics is definitely not one of my favorites.
First because, just like Jack says at the begining of the episode "Politics isn't my strong suit".
I'm not fond of poltical talks, and I hate Kinsey :x (like most of us I guess.. :lol: )
It's one of those low cost episodes, it has few new scenes, as many are flashbacks.

But at the same time, it's great to see these scenes from previous epidsodes when you haven't seen them for a while :)
And we get news from other worlds! Daniel says that Kynthia said her people were living long and happy lives, it was great to know that :D

I like the fact that it's also a continuation of the previous episode, it would have been a shame if the alternate reality thing was only reduced to one episode and never used again before...

To answer Jerseycoconut, if I were able to travel through time and realities, I would definitely participate :P

So this episode is sad because it could mean the end of the program, and viewers at the time must have been scared it would mean the end of the show too :?
But at least we have the uniform.. ;)
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Juliette wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 pm Politics is definitely not one of my favorites.
First because, just like Jack says at the begining of the episode "Politics isn't my strong suit".
I'm not fond of poltical talks, and I hate Kinsey :x (like most of us I guess.. :lol: )
It's one of those low cost episodes, it has few new scenes, as many are flashbacks.

But at the same time, it's great to see these scenes from previous epidsodes when you haven't seen them for a while :)
And we get news from other worlds! Daniel says that Kynthia said her people were living long and happy lives, it was great to know that :D

I like the fact that it's also a continuation of the previous episode, it would have been a shame if the alternate reality thing was only reduced to one episode and never used again before...

To answer Jerseycoconut, if I were able to travel through time and realities, I would definitely participate :P

So this episode is sad because it could mean the end of the program, and viewers at the time must have been scared it would mean the end of the show too :?
But at least we have the uniform.. ;)

Yes, I would participate to,,,but, I change my mind so often. :oops: :oops: Wonder if I would get slung around all over the place! :lol:
It is nice to see the SG1 team does fight for the continuance of the program. Their not just going along for the paycheck and the fun.
Could Jack be going to see Kynthia again???? I wonder where Sam & Daniel would choose to go. I think Sam would stay on Earth to continue research & Daniel would venture out, with Teal'c to fight the Gou'ald. (Payback for his wife).
Jerseycoconut ;)
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

I am a bit late for "There but for the Grace of God", but as this episode and "Politics" are connected I will comment on both.

First "For the Grace of God". I like this episode a lot. Parallel universe, alternate realities, that is so pure sci fi and I love it.
I love the way the reality in which Daniel comes is so close to the SGC we know and yet so different.

Of course the end of the alternate reality's characters is very sad.
Brilliant scene, when alternate Jack O'Neill realized that sending the nuclear bomb to Chulak was his death sentence, otherwise he could have convinced alternate Teal'c to betray Apophis, I am sure of it.
Also when the audience and Daniel learn, that alternate Jack and Sam were engaged. The way the said good bye to each other was so genuine.

I just don't understand why the alternate characters had to decide against their world and lifes to help Daniel. Wouldn't it have been possible to retreat to the beta side and then dial from there to the world where the quantum mirror stands so that Daniel could go from there back to his reality-without having to sacrifice the other characters? In the end the discussion was academic because the soldiers could not prevent Teal'c and his Jaffa to get to the gateroom anyway. So in the end they all sacrificed their lives to get him back. And Teal'c and his men were killed by the self destruct.

We also get a glimpse of the endless conflict between Jack and Daniel; when Daniel finds the laboraty with the tagged artefacts and starts to explain it to Jack, he just throws a "I don't wanna hear it" to him and gives the order to leave. One sentence like: " Hey, the whole damn place is radioactive" would have convinced Daniel to leave immediately without discussion. On the other side, without the conflict between those two, Daniel would never have acitvated the mirror and would have got the warning of the oncoming attack.

So I come directly to "Politics". It's a clip chow, as we have one in each season. It's the easiest way to save money, and it bores the fans to death normally. So, when I watch this episode I usually skip the clips and stick to the story. And this is one interesting thing in my opinion.
One senator, who thinks that the stargate programm sould be shut down has the power to do so. He claims to be open minded and wants a fair hearing but in reality he came to shut the programm down, this is his agenda. And nothing he hears convinces him otherwise.

So we see and hear SG1 and Gen. Hammond fight for the programm but they don't have a chance because the decision stands before the hearing even starts. Unfortunately we will meet senator Kinsey (who is brilliantly played by Ronny Cox) again and again in further seasons.

So I think, even if it is just a clip show, this episode is important for the further seasons, not only for the upcoming story but also for the further story arc in general.

But it is not one of the episodes I like very much.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Nobody is ever late to comment on an episode Anja ;)

I ablsoutely agree with everything you say!
And just like you, I don't understand why they didn't think of dialing P3R-233 from the beta site.

Also true, Politics is not the best one, but it's still one of the necessary episodes for the following seasons :roll:
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Ahh, the last episode of season one, it's been such fun!! :P

Within the Serpent's Grasp

Against orders, SG1 rallies with Daniel to dial the Gate to check out the address of 'the destroyers.' :) :) :) :) (previous episode)
Turns out to be an advanced Goa'uld fighter ship, headed to Earth to destroy it. :o (Just like it happened in the alternate reality.)
Skaara, Col. O'Neill's friend, is on board, is now addressed as Klorel, son of Apophis, & has Goa'uld. O'Neill & Teal'c try to capture him (to save him), but it doesn't work, and they get captured instead. :oops: :cry: As punishment, for betraying Apophis, Teal'c's symboite is going to be removed (he will die a slow death). :o Col. O'Neill is still trying to reach Skaara on some level to delay this punishment.
Sam & Daniel are planting C4 all around the ship, which is the back-up plan.
The ships have entered the Earth galaxy and radar has picked them up around Saturn.
The president has ordered SGC to be set up as the command center for the invasion. (Good thing they didn't bury the Gate as ordered a day ago!) :P
Carter & Daniel shoot their way in to rescue Jack & Teal'c. :) :)
Klorel (Skaara) tries to fry Daniel's brain, and Jack has to shoot him to help Daniel. :cry:
Looking at Earth now, the ship is shown in it's entirety. It's a 'huge mother' ship with a pyramid on top, and the explosives are set to blow. :o
. . . to be continued. . . .

This last episode to season one, the title, 'Within the Serpent's Grasp,' can refer to the politician's who want to control SGC; or, SG1 stuck on the Goa'uld ship which is coming to destroy Earth.

Season one SGC visited many planets, learned much about science & technologies, explored new cultures, made new allies, changed understanding about the universe, and established that the SGC is Earth's first line of defense.
What fun we had watching them do it!
Love the people and the characters who they act out.
The writing & plots, wardrobe & props gives us just enough to image . . . . there's got to be "more out there."
Yes, continued in Season Two . . .

Jerseycoconut :lol:
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Jerseycoconut wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:15 am Within the Serpent's Grasp
Season one SGC visited many planets, learned much about science & technologies, explored new cultures, made new allies, changed understanding about the universe, and established that the SGC is Earth's first line of defense.
What fun we had watching them do it!
Love the people and the characters who they act out.
The writing & plots, wardrobe & props gives us just enough to image . . . . there's got to be "more out there."
Yes, continued in Season Two . . .
I agree with everything jerseycoconut :D
This season sets the tone of the whole show, we discovered many things in the depths of the universe, and realize that many more are ut there waiting to be discovered.
This season ends with this episode that is directly linked to the previous ones and promises us a thrilling new season to come.

Can't wait to watch season 2 again and read your comments :D
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Short hiatus * * * Ya'll ready for Season 2 * * * :lol:

The Serpent's Lair

Last season left with Sen Kinsey shutting down the funding of SGC. The team of SG1 unexpectedly gating to a ship (not a planet) which is set to attack Earth just like in Daniel's alternate reality.

Gen. Hammond has set up the SGC as a command center for the fight of the incoming invasion of the Gou'ald.
Arrogant Col. Samuels, has decided his plans to send a naquadah enriched warhead will take out the attack vessels and all will be well.
On board the incoming ships, undercover, is Bra'tac ;) , who finds SG1, frees them and will assist them to blow up the ships. :P
Klorel (who was shot dead by Col. O'Neill in order to save Daniel), is revived by the sarcophagus and is still struggling with Skaara (who remains loyal to Jack).
The shields which surround the attack vessels, stop the warheads. :o The failure is seen on Earth's radar. :oops:
Gen. Hammond sends teams of Earth's 'best and brightest' thru the Gate to the Alpha Site.
Col. Samuels, coward that he is, request to be sent to the site. This request, seen for what it is - coward, is denied by Gen. Hammond. (~payback~) ;)
Back on board the ships, Col. O'Neill & Bra'tac swap warfare techniques from each other as they work to blow up one ship, then transport over to & sabotage the other.
During the fight, Daniel, gets severely wounded. :( Jack doesn't want to leave him behind. (I think he would have been ready to drag his dead body with him). But, Daniel insist, "I'm dead anyway. I'm only going to blow up in the other ship." He insist on staying to watch the teams back. :(
Without additional C4, the team devise a plan to take out the second ship's shields and hope the first explosion will extend over to the unshielded one (which they are on).
Apophis and Klorel (who is a big disappointment to dad) transport themselves off the ship (more cowards).
SG1 use the Death Gliders to escape as both ships explode. :D :D
The explosion can be seen by the people of Earth & SGC. :o :D :o
SG1 is now adrift in the upper atmosphere which will cause them to burn up. :o
But, adrift they take in the quiet and the beauty of the 'blue planet' above them for which they just risk their lives to save. :)
Ahh, but, Houston sends a ship to rescue them. :D :D
Cheers all around at SGC. :D :) :D :) :D :)
Bra'tac meets Hammond of Texas. :lol: Gen. Hammond has a surprise for the team. It's Daniel!! :D He crawled wounded into a sarcophagus, healed, then gated off the ship, just in time! Jack soo happy to see him, hugs the scientist, and call him, "space monkey!" Hugs all round! :D :) :lol: :D :) [For me that was the best scene in the episode, although there are many in this one]

And if allowed to continue (the SGC is still not approved for operation),it is a great example of what the team, the Gate, allied aliens, could accomplish for Earth. Enemies against us, ya, but, now there is hope and a universe to explore & learn from. ;) :D

Jerseycoconut :D
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I can't believe I forgot to come post my comment after I watched th episode a little while back...
So thank you jerseycoconut for the great summary ;)

I don't have much to add, it's a great episode to start a season. It shows how much the SGC is needed now to protect Earth against these new alien enemies, and that some people will need to reconsider their opinion of the program... :roll: