Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Juliette

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by Juliette »

The Nox is also one of my all time favorites.
To me this episode represents the essence of Stargate SG-1.

It has everything the show stands for: meeting new cultures, technologies, getting to know them better, learning from them, but also the fight against Apophis (which is the background story of almost all episodes of the early seasons, one of the reasons why they go on offworld missions) and the military aspect of the program with the scene at the beginning of the episode.

If I had to show one episode to someone who doesn't know the show, apart from the pilot because it lays the foundations of the show, it would be The Nox :)

I really wish we had seen them more often, their wisdom could have been useful in some cases :roll:
Their wisdom was actually used once in the Tollan trial episode, and we got to learn about their race on several occasions (mostly with them being one of the main races of the galaxy) I just wish we had seen more of them and their funny vegetal hair :D

O'Neill's "No, you can't keep him" makes me laugh everytime because it's exacly what I told my friend many times when we were doing internships in primary school (elementary and kindergarten). Everytime she sees a cute kid she's like 'Oh I want him/her!" and I go full O'Neill mode on her: "No, you can't keep him" :lol:

My other favorite lines are like everyone else here:
"Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way"
and
"The very young do not always do what they are told"
because they are both carrying a strong message and can both be used in daily life (espcially the 2nd one when you are facing a group of kids that won't listen to a single word you're saying :lol: )
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

It's friday!

Let's move on to the next episode....Brief Candle, one of the episodes RDA liked most.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Brief Candle is an episode I love and hate at the same time.

I know RDA has remarked about this being a favorite episode of his because he got to be made up to look so old and got to play a really old geezer. But the makeup DID make him look so old and ugly that I didn't like that part of the episode so much. It's probably the only episode in which RDA doesn't look good! But it was necessary for the story to work so in that way, it was okay. And it gave RDA a chance to do some really amazing acting (although he did amazing acting in all the episodes.)

SG1 travels to Argos, a civilization of "beautiful" people who age rapidly and who fall into a deep sleep at sundown and awaken at sunrise. At the beginning of the episode, Daniel delivers a baby for one of the couples.....amazing Col. O'Neill with that talent. We find out that the baby ages very very fast, bringing some alarm to SG1.

The part I love the most about this episode is Col. O'Neill's interaction with Kynthia who seduces him with cake that is "only for" him and with a provocative dance. They end up in bed together showing us a fine view of RDA bare chested and indicating he was naked in bed. :oops: :oops: :oops: Then it seems Kynthia has somehow drugged Jack to where he has the same condition as the rest of the Argosians, where he falls into a deep sleep at sundown. One implication is that he may have "caught" the condition from having sex with Kynthia.....something to think about. I love it when Sam comes in on Jack who appears in his half naked state and he asks, "What happened?" and Sam says, "To them or to you....." Jack then says, "We'll talk about that later...." Then when Jack collapses into the deep sleep, he says, "damn, she drugged me...." (with the wine and the cake) and then he says, "from now on we stick to rations...." When Jack wakes up he goes to the village fountain and sticks his head in the water because he feels "hung over". I love that scene also.

The story goes on with Daniel learning about the history and background of the Argosians who are called "the Chosen". Meanwhile Sam is learning about how rapidly they age, focusing on the baby who has already aged to be the equivalent of several years old after only one day. Kynthia for instance is 31 days old.

It turns out that Pelops a Goa'uld from their history created some kind of virus to experiment on the Argosians. Daniel determines that viruses are often spread through bodily contact. Sam says some are and some are airborne. But Daniel says only one of them passed out the night before and that was Jack, the implication being that Jack now has this rapid aging virus. Jack denies having the virus at first.....but he understands that the virus is deadly.....as he sinks to the ground and passes out again. Jack then says, maybe it wasn't the cake and Sam says, maybe it was your physical contact with Kynthia......thereby indicating it was when Jack and Kynthia had sex :oops: :oops: ......oh my!

Sam goes back to the SGC with blood samples for Dr. Frasier to analyze. It turns out Jack has many more little particles in his blood than the Argosians do,.,..probably because he started out older. When Sam returns, Jack's aging process has started = and he says to her, "Don't keep the elderly waiting, it's rude.". :) ;) ;) ....Sam says it isn't a virus but Dr. Frasier didn't know right then what it was.

Sam tells Jack that at the rate he is changing by the end of two weeks he'll be the equivalent of 100 years old......he says, so in two weeks, I'll be dead. :( Sam: "Not if I can help it.".....she is determined to find a way to save his life.

Jack sends his team back through the gate = saying, to Tealc who wants to stay with O'Neill, that "I don't need company, I need a cure."....and "Don't you dare say goodbye because you damn well better be coming back and soon.".....

Back at the SGC, they determine the blood agents are mechanisms, nanocytes. who are replicating. When Sam is trying to work on the nanocytes, sonme of them eat through her rubber gloves and show signs of trying to spread....yikes! Dr. Frasier suggests that perhaps there is something on the planet that makes the nanocytes work in the blood of the infected ones.

Back at Argos, Kynthia explains that Jack ate the marriage cake and came to her bed - meaning that by all their customs she and Jack were married!!!! Jack tries to explain what Pelops (the statue of the god they think has given the chosen ones "life") actually used the Argosians as an experiment to shorten their lives.....not to give them life. That Jack WAS 40 years old which is thousands of days.

The next scenes shows Jack aging is proceeding rapidly both in his looks and in his voice. Kynthia wants Jack to come back to the village but Jack is angry and says to let him spend his last days as he chooses, thinking back on his life which has been spent as a military man, a warrior, to which his wife can attest. Kynthia asks if he still loves her and he doesn't respond......but Kynthia says now because of her he will never see his wife again.....Jack does respond to Kynthia, "You meant no harm." :) (Kindness even in his condition) Kynthia then says, "Then let me give what I have taken." and she kisses Jack. :oops:

Back at the SGC, Gen. Hammond fears the spread of the nanocytes and says the investigation into these organisms must stop. Daniel reminds Hammond that such a decision is condemning Jack and the Argosians to death. Hammond says Jack is one of the finest men he has ever served with and that it would be a great loss to the country if he were gone - but that he is sure Col. O'Neill would make the same decision Gen. Hammond is making now should he know the situation with the nanocytes and their potential spread.

At Argos, a very old Jack watches a video he has been sent in which Sam is explaining they are doing computer simulations to find out more about the nanocytes but that travel to Argos has been banned by Gen. Hammond for the foreseeable future. A touching moment comes when Teal'c says he has learned a lot from O'Neill - thank you! And Sam says Good-byes really suck. Evidently this is goodbye.

The people of Argos bring gifts of food to Pelops (the statue of their god) and are asking for Pelops to help them give them life. Jack is very angry at this stupidity...and says Pelops is using them as slaves. Finally they understand what Jack is saying and they say they will no longer be one of the chosen....and they tear down the statue of Pelops after which the "god" does not strike them down and the people rejoice.

Jack and Kynthia are walking on the beach with Jack saying, "So you like older men, do you?" Jack teaches Kynthia how to play Tic Tac Toe.

Then a funny scene where Kynthia says, "will you spend the rest of your life without making love?" Jack responds, "Oh God, I hope not. We'd probably just pass out..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's after dark and they have not fallen asleep = which Jack notices and asks why not?

Jack asks Kynthia "how important is this rule that Pelops had about not leaving the village?" Kynthia responds it is Pelops first law! Jack says, it may be as simple as getting the hell out of Dodge. He analyzes that there must be some variable.

Jack and Kynthia go back to the temple where the broken statue of Pelops is there. Jack finds a mechanism out of the broken statue. And then Jack says, "excuse me, I've got a phone call to make." Next thing we see is Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c returning to the temple through the Stargate there. Jack = "Welcome back, kids. It's damn good to see you again!"

Then another funny moment - Jack says, "Aside from a little prostate problem we won't go into, it's not so bad." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam says the mechanism Jack has found is a transmitter which is putting out two frequencies = one to activate the nanocytes and the other one to shut it all off at the end of the day. Sam has brought some equipment to send out signals and the Argosians wake up before the sun sets.

What about Jack? He says (another funny moment) "I'll probably move to Florida into a retirement home of some kind. Sam explains that Jack should return to normal within a week or two. Kynthia - "that is wonderful news." Jack :lol: I was kind of lookin' forward to some shuffleboard with the fellas. "

Kynthia - then you are leaving. Jack: Sweet Kynthia. I've learned so much from you....I'll treasure every day of my life because of you. He kisses her on the cheek.

The end.

All in all an excellent episode - I just don't like Jack being so "ugly".......but that's just me.
B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Brief Candle

Dancing, eating, drinking, sex, sleeping, colorful attire, and beauty everywhere - what a utopia! :D ;) :lol:
Yes, I love/hated the episode also!
100 blissful days! // Treasure every moment!
No, I didn't like O'Neill's anger. Perhaps it was grief realizing his life days were cut short. :cry:
I guess without knowing how many days we all have left, we should choose start and end each day with love, happiness, and be in peace!

Jerseycoconut :)
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Well B has explained everything I feel about this episode..
I love the story, I find it very interesting. It is based on greek culture, something we see a lot in the early episodes but not as much later on. It's the first time they encouter nanocytes and an experiment being made on people without their knowledge (but unfortunately not the last time!)

It has a lot of humor too, my favorite moments are mostly at the beginning:
When the woman is about to give birth, Jack looks at Sam and she anwsers "What?! Don't look at me, I don't know what to do!" :lol:
and Jack's compliment to Daniel "You never cease to amaze me with all your talents" :P
I also love when Jack comes out of the house walking like he's hungover and sticks his head into the fountain.. his face is priceless! :lol:

Many moments make this episode worth watching (oh I forgot to mention the bare chest moment :D well.. should we say bare chest or bare everything with only a bed sheet on?? :roll: :lol: )

The down side of this episode to me is when Jack is being seduced by Kynthia.. I don't know why but I feel so uncomfortable watching this.. I feel so uneasy for him :oops: Espacially towards Sam, because we can see the way she looks at him in many episodes, but in this one we can clearly see that she really is affected by the whole situation and really wants to get things back into order.
And the other thing is watching him get older and older... I know RDA loved filming this (for all the convenient reasons he explained several times.. :roll: ) but it is tough to watch in my opinion :?

So I still love the episode, I just have to adapt my feelings for this one ;)
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Thank you all for your interesting comments and so many screenshots.

I like Brief Candle very much. Ok, the old Jack was really ugly, but I love the performance RDA did here. He is a so convincing old guy.
The way he shuffled, the way he held himself, his old man's voice. It is really great.
But, although being like a hundred year old guy, he still has his personality, his sarcasm and humor, that doesn't change.

I also liked the humor in the scene between Daniel and Teal'c when they find out about the writings. Daniel asks about the writings, Teal'c points out, that the writing is in fact a Goau'ld dialect, and when Daniel asks why he hasn't told him before, he gets the answer: "Because you never required."
I just love such things. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the episode's message:

Treasure every day of your life :!:

How often do we forget that due to stress in our daily lifes....

So every time I think of this episode I remember this and try to be positive.

Anja ;)
MacGyver
Anja ;)
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Next week, next episode, "Thor's Hammer"...who wants to start?

Anja ;)
MacGyver
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hi, Anja = thanks for moving us on to the next episode, Thor's Hammer.

I can start because my comments will be very brief.

I did not like this episode.

Why not?

There was just too much mumbo jumbo (talk) that I did not totally understand about Thor's Hammer - what it was exactly.

And there was too much just walking around both by Teal'c and Jack and by Daniel, Sam, and Kendra.

The ugly Unas was, of course, frightening and Jack's and Teal'c's encounter with "it" were tough and made for good fights, especially with the Unas continuing to regenerate itself.

But the labyrinth was a little bit confusing to me = but that's just me. Somehow Daniel and Sam and Kendra find their way into the presence of Jack and Teal'c.

With the help of a force field that Teal'c pushes the Unas into, it finally dies. Then they manage to destroy the force field and therefore find a way out of the labyrinth.

I was not ever sure exactly where/what was Thor's hammer...but again that's just me.

Maybe others have a better view of this episode. I just didn't particularly like it. But that's just me..... :D :D :D
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Do others have any comments on Thor's Hammer?
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I like this episode.

Thor's Hammer is different from the other episodes before it.
It has adventure and brings new knowledge, with a new mythology to explore, and new alien species : the big bad Unas and a species kind to humans: the Norse Gods, which we will learn about later on.
Jack and Teal'c also find ways to have humor in their misfortune, giving us many funny quotes like "Is Junior okay?" which is something that will remain through the whole series :D
"Teal'c, I think we just got the answering machine"
And the "Are you considering the same tactic as I? / Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" talk is really fun too :lol:

Thor's hammer is represented several times:
The big tower which analyses anyone who comes through the gate and beams goa'ulds into the labyrinth,
The symbol carved over the exit of the labyrinth,
and the exit itself, shaped as a hammer, where the device that kills goa'uld is, probably hidden inside..

I like the concept of it and the fact that it gave hope to Daniel, meaning it is possible to save a host from the controling goa'uld.
Too bad it had to be destroyed, but it would have been too easy to have this device around ^^

In my opinion it could have been avoided because the hammer destroys the goa'uld by getting them stuck. When Teal's gets stuck in it, Jack pushes him back into the room and he is okay. It happens again when Teal'c tries to maintain Unas into the hammer, Jack pulls him back into the room.
I can't help but think that if Jack had pushed him outside instead of back inside, Teal'c would have been doing well too and his symbiote would be fine, since the device was meant to stuck goa'ulds and there would be no human to push them out of it..
But again, for the purpose of the story, it was meant to be destroyed, so that the later situations that would require this device could be a little more challenging ;)