Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Jerseycoconut

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Hello Ya'll, :D

Thought 'Cold Lazarus' was a good example of how fine an actor RDA is.
He not only played Col. O'Neill, but a double of himself with just a slight change of persona to successfully shape shift into this new individual.
RDA puts his crafting experience into his stance, voice, squinting, the control of facial muscles and wrinkles, even the expression of the thought process of how a stranger would express 'Col. O'Neill'.

Yep, gotta love him and his work!! :D :)

Jerseycoconut
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Cold Lazarus is one of my all time favourite episodes.

I agree with Jersycoconut, that was great acting from RDA.

He played Jack and double Jack totally convincing. You could see, how double Jack has to orient himself to our world and the persons who surround him. The sarcasm is gone, he is more soft. And the scenes in the end, when Jack and double Jack talk directly to each other are well done. Same goes for the scene when double Jack transforms into Charlie. It is heartbreaking to see Jack how he looks at his son and tries to pull himself together.

Every time I watch the episode I am totally in it. It is so touching to see double Jack relive Charlie's accident and experience real Jack's feelings.
I also like the way he tries to heal not only Jack but also Sara, when he finds out that she is sad. Altough he has no idea, how he should do it, he tries to help her. He apologizes for Jack's inability to talk to her and grieve together with her when Charlie died.

I always wonder if Jack and Sara have found the time to talk those events over....the stargate....the duplicating of Jack and Charlie....When Jack and SG1 enter the hospital and Sara realizes that the Jack she has spent the day together with isn't the real one he tells her she should know all about it, but not right now. It would have been also a chance for them to work things out about Charlie's death....and maybe a chance to come back together again.

There are of course also some funny scenes in the episode.
When the real Jack returns back to earth and is put into the holding cell. When he shouts into the camera "Get me the hell outa here!" and throws a pillow into the camera, that is hilarious.
Also Teal'c trying to get his first impressions from earth, turning the TV on and his reaction on the news and the music video are great.
Daniel and Sam going with Teal'c into the gateroom and ask him to fire his staff weapon at a crystal to prove Sam's theory about how the crystalls were destroyed. Sadly they unwillingly kill another alien by doing so, later on it becomes clear, that the crystalls are some kind of life form.

The main part of the episode focuses on Jack and Sara. It is very touching and when I saw it for the first time I was in tears; not only for Jack and Sara, but also for double Jack, who tried to correct his mistake when he injured Jack and had to learn that Jack's deepest pain was not physically but a broken heart.

I absolutely love that episode.

Anja ;-)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

A great if very sad episode, which I love very much but can only look at, if I am in a certain mood.
RDA played both roles brilliantly, the well-known Colonel Jack O'Neill, who plays many of his true feelings through jokes and sarcasm. and its absolute counterpart, the Double Jack, which reveals the feelings and sensations hidden by the original Jack.
Very emotionally implemented and my heart broke in some places of the episode.

We met Sara, his wife, a very sympathetic young woman who certainly deserves better than what life gave her.You could clearly see, she still loves him and Jack loves her too, we'll see it clearly in a later episode.
Did they ever speak out? It would be nice to both. Jack blames Charlie's death for leaving his loaded weapon lying around. Can hardly believe that he was so negligent.
But, that's the story! It is shown that they are a happy family and a few seconds later everything is different.

The marriage breaks because Jack can not talk about it, withdraws into himself.

The first time I sobbed, when the double Jack sat in the former room of Charlie on the floor and mourned "his son"

I always wondered what Sara was thinking because Jack was so different, acting strangely.
Probably she was just glad that he had finally come to her and dealt with her and Charlie's death.

What must that have been a shock for Sara to see the right Jack and then "her son"

The scenes in the hospital were heart-rending as the Double Jack turned into Charlie and he put his hand on Jack's heart, telling him he was living inside him.

But I also laughed in the episode.
When Teal'c saw in the TV what it seems to be on Earth and later wanted to take his staff weapon when they wanted to go to the hospital.

LOL
[SG-1 is going off base, Teal'c is taking his staff with him]
Gen. Hammond: Teal'c, you'll have to leave that here.
Teal'c: I have seen your world. I will need it.
Gen. Hammond: Can't let you take your weapon, Teal'c. You—all of you—will be operating in public so you can't do or say anything that reveals the existence of the SGC or the Stargate.
[Hammond hands Teal'c a Chicago hat]
Teal'c: Chicago. The windy city. Home of the Black Hawks, the Bulls and the White Sox.
Col. O'Neill: Don't forget the Cubs.

Col O'Neill has been placed in a cell and is being observed through a video.
Col O'Neill: Come on, get me out of here! Tell you what. Let me put it nicely.[gets on a chair and gets his face into the video] Get me the hell out of here!
Gen. Hammond: If that isn't O'Neill, I want to know who the hell we're looking at.

My conclusion: Successful episode that makes you think.
Although I sometimes found the double jack a bit scary, I liked the soft side a lot.
I personally like Sara very much, a certainly great woman who has a very, very similarity to Sam.
Jack's favorite type of woman? :mrgreen:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Cold Lazarus, one of my favorite episodes too!
A very emotional one, and it still has some humor (even from Teal'c, which is very unusual :lol: )

As many of you said, this episode is one more opportunity to admire RDA's astonishing acting skills!
He just played that emotional part, that's so far from the real Jack, so truthfully, I am amazed :)
I agree with JK, it was so believable that double Jack even got a bit scary sometimes :roll:

In Charlie's room I liked the allusion to the actual situation with the poster with crystals on it ^^ and the fact that he also had posters and drawings of planets on his walls, it was a great nod ;)

It was nice to learn more about Jack's past, I wish we had seen Sara more often in the show
We never knew how they explained to her what she had seen and lived that day, if they made something up or if they told her the truth
AnttiS

Post by AnttiS »

Hey All,

I believe this is one of (the many) episodes what made SG-1 as great as it is. It involved everything from the story based on the original movie and Jack's past to Teal'c commenting on sports in Chicago :-) RDA's performance on this episode was also on point. I also really like the actor who played Sara in this episode, so all in all good work by the team!

PS. Still can't wait until we get to episode The Nox :-)

-AnttiS
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks, AnttiS and everyone for your terrific comments on Cold Lazarus.

Guess it's time for the discussion of the next episode: "The Nox".

Let the comments begin,..,.,.,., :D :D :roll: :roll: :D :D
B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

THE NOX!
This is one of my favorite off worlds to visit. :)
The fairy like creatures of this planet live simply. They extend long years with meditation, generating a strength that yields gifts enabling them to restore life, read minds, make things go invisible.
When SG1 team and the Gould converge on this world to both appropriate technology, a battle ensues which reveal the Nox and their abilities.
The Nox, without prejudice, heal the wounded and convey all to leave.
Somehow as knowledgeable as they are, these folk have no understanding of evil and get a lesson from the Gould's detrimental intent.
The SG1 team are concerned the Gould will seize the knowledge of the Nox, enslave them, and destroy their world. Col. O'Neill pleads for them to bury the gate.
The wise Nox, show the SG1 team they have nothing to worry about. He reveals the people can conceal whole villages at will and elevate them out of harms way. ' Some ways are better than earths'. (How diplomatic and what and example.) However, they will bury the gate to avoid further intrusion.

I think the whole Stargate team, actors, music composers, wardrobe, writers preformed outstandingly with this episode to bring us to another world. I wish they would have created additional adventures to this planet for the series to explore.

My favorite line was when Col. O'Neill sees Sam is charmed with meeting the youngest Nox and says to her, "No, you can't keep him". :lol:

Jerseycoconut :D
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

"I think the whole Stargate team, actors, music composers, wardrobe, writers preformed outstandingly with this episode to bring us to another world. I wish they would have created additional adventures to this planet for the series to explore.

My favorite line was when Col. O'Neill sees Sam is charmed with meeting the youngest Nox and says to her, "No, you can't keep him"."

Great synopsis, jerseycoconut of a very good and interesting episode. The Nox. We learn later that the Nox are one of the four main races of space.
Their peaceful ways must mark them as one of these great races.

Their hair was a bit weird but that fit into the nature theme of the episode.

It would have been neat to have another episode of a visit to this planet but at least they portrayed a member of the Nox as being important in at least one other episode along with the explanation about the Nox by the Asgard that O'Neill meets in "The Fifth Race".

All in all a very good episode, IMHO.
B
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

The Nox! I love the Nox.

If the Stargate was for real, that would be the world I would love to visit myself. I so like those guys.
They are so much more evolved than us and part of their wisdom is that they live in perfect harmony with nature and in peace. They chose to live that way although they are so technically evolved that they can make their cities fly and mentally evolved that they can appear or disappear at will and can make other things disappear, too.
Also they can revive their dead.

They have a much longer lifespan than humans and maybe this is what makes them wise, too.
As one of them said: Knowledge takes time. We teach the young to be wise.

This is my favourite line of the episode:

"Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way."

In other words: Be tolerant!

This is what I want to shout to all the intolerant and dumb people around the world who have nothing in their minds than to force their way of life, their believes and cultures on other people and have no problem with killing others who don't want to adopt their point of view. Why can't we just live in peace and harmony? Life is too short to make it to hell for others. :x

Second favourite line:

"The very young do not always do what they are told."

Sometimes, when my kids drive me crazy, I try to think of that line instead of hitting the roof. But sometimes I just fail. After all I am not a Nox, just a mother....not always wise. :D :D :D

Although the Nox are tolerant with each other they are not with the human visitors. They want them to go back to their world. But SG1 had a chance to get knowledge from them, but Daniel screwed it in my opinion, when he refused the first attempt from the old Nox he was walking with (when he offered him some of the tree juice). Maybe if he had gone along with it a first connection could have been built. But that is just speculation.....

Interesting is also the very beginning of the episode. That is the part one maybe forgets too quickly; the Stargate program is a military program and costs billions of dollars. So the politicians and military leadership who know of the program want it to benefit....which means superiour technology, not getting to know older earth based cultures (as Daniel explains).

Other interesting point we tend to forget is that Daniel is (at least in the beginning) only part of SG1 because he wants to search for Share and Skaara. How desperate he is we see when SG1 discusses the possibily of attacking and abducting Apophis after they have discovered him.

So, all in all a very intersting and well shot episode. One of my favourites of the first season.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
AnttiS

Post by AnttiS »

Hey everyone,

If there is one episode that stands out for me it is the Nox. There is a personal story behind this all. Without going
into too many details here, I was suffering from really (REALLY!) bad insomnia. Back then I used to try to sleep
on the couch, and many times, I started watching a SG-1 DVD. The DVD's are great (at least the versions I have) seeing as
if you select play all, they loop around after the last episode gets played. So they were looping around a lot for me :-)
I can still remember how I finally fell asleep (many times) to the music of the episode 'The Nox' and then got a little
helpful rest before I had to wake up and go to work.

I'm happy to say, that the insomnia days are now over, but I still get an oddly happy feeling when I hear the
musical score of this episode. I keep the SG-1 soundtrack on my phone and now it works as a distraction if I need to block
out some noise when traveling or just want to listen to something while walking.

-Antti

The very young do not always do what they are told.
Something worth taking home