Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Juliette

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by Juliette »

Great topic idea Anja! :)

Frenchwriter if you need any help with a translation, just message me and I'll see what I can do to help! ;)

IMO, Children of the Gods was one of the best pilot I've ever seen. It really set the tone of the series, established the relationships between the characters, made many references to the movie and took time to explain the continuity between the movie and the series.
It's an hour and a half long, so it's like a second movie, a sequel. We get to learn more about what happened in the movie and it anwsers almost every question the movie left unsaid.
It allowed them to really take the time needed to introduce all the new elements (characters, storylines...) that we will see in the future, and even some hints to what will happen later (like B said, the "Oh I adore you already" scene between Sam and Jack). It might not be something you get at first, but when you know the whole series and see that they included hints like that from the begining, you just know that they know what they're doing. And this is what makes some tv shows way better than others :)

One negative point to me is the quickness of Teal'c's turn around. I always thought he could have been harder to convince...
But I think they saw it as if he had already made his decision. He was probably just waiting for the right time to rebel, and when SG-1 came he simply took the opportunity
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

Thank you Juliette and Nila :D
I'm going to try to follow the discussion.

About "Children of Gods", I loved this pilot too.
When I seen the movie (with Kurt Russel), I was very happy with this subject (I love the "fantastic" and "SF" with my writting). The serie is so respectful to the real story of the movie! I read more articles (thank Kate ;) ) about the preparation of this pilot. I know Brad Wright andJonathan Glassner are made a fantastic work of researchs some months before to begin the writing of the pilot.

All characters are well shaped.
If Daniel is as the original, the personality of Jack is totally different but Richard wanted to change it (it was one of his conditions to accept the character), and the contrast is perfect. We need to love him immediately from the beginning.

About Teal'c, we can understand that his decision already existed for long time. And you're right, maybe he was waiting the good moment...
All isn't perfect in this pilot, of course, and sometimes a little long at times, but it works perfectly and presages his success... I love it !
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

First of all, I am really amazed about your comments already. Thank you so much. :D

So, my opinion of "Children of the Gods". First I have to admid I watched the first Stargate movie produced by Roland Emmerich and I loved it. And I didn't know about Stargate SG1 for a long long time. I remember watching the pilot in the end of the 90s, because I had heard, that RDA was in it (I knew hime only as MacGyver at that time), but I wasn't really thrilled, so I didn't even watch the pilot completely and forgot about it.

Thanks to internet and youtube I came along some funny scenes with Jack O'Neill some years ago and they were so great, I bought the complete DVD collection seasons 1-10 and began to watch it. And it showed me, some things need time and maybe a second chance.

I like the character change RDA gave to Jack O'Neill. The sense of humor was very clearly shown in the first scenes (with Hammond about writing a book), also when he used the tissue box to find out, if the gate on Abydos was still buried. Later on Abydos the scene with the moonshine drink....I loved that. But I do not only like the funny things about Jack. When back on earth he took Daniel to his home and revealed that he had been left by his wife and that he would never forgive himself about what happened to his son, you could get a first glimpse of the depth of the character.
Of course the first banters between Sam and Jack were also a highlight.
Teal'c was introduced well, and his disgust of the Goau'ld was shown from the first moment, when he got his orders from Apophis in the gateroom and didn't comply immediately. Later on, when Apophis killed the female soldier after she had been rejected as the new host to his queen, you could see the disgust in his eyes, too. Until the point, when he turned against the Goau'ld, it was a development that took time, and Jack begging him to help him to save the people in the dungeon was the time for him to act.
Daniel acted very similar to the original movie. Always the open scientist,so completely unaware of danger.
It was very touching to see his reaction when he voluntered as a host because he wanted to be with Sha're and he hoped, that he somehow could save her then.
And Sam.....you got to love that woman. I read somewhere that Amanda Tapping wasn't so thrilled about the line "Only because my reproductive organs are in the inside instead of the outside....." I think that line was great. It makes me whooping every time I see it. Because it nailes it....not only in the military but in so much situtations in work life of women every day. So, way to go girl! :lol: :lol: :lol:

B. said that she didn't like the frontal nudity in the scene when Sha're was taken as a host. I didn't bother that much. What I didn't like at all was the slimy snake thing coming out of the priestes's belly...eugh..... I hate this scene until today! :roll:

In the end of course a cliffhanger with Kawalsky infested by a Goau'ld....you want to know how that will go on.

Very good pilot, in the second try I was hooked from the spot.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

It's been great to read everyone's comments about the first episode of Stargate.

Is it time to post comments about the second episode, "The Enemy Within"?
B
AnttiS

Post by AnttiS »

GregMac wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:09 am I still like how Jack picked up the box of tissues to use as a "probe" to prove to Daniel that the message came from him. Daniel's reply helped establish the future relationship the two enjoyed. For example, how many times did we enjoy a "Yes, you DID!"/"No, I didn't!" moment between them!! :lol:
I like how they carried Daniel's allergies over to other episodes. Like in Bloodlines where we first meet Teal's family. As they arrive to Chulak and walk away from the gate Daniel sneezes and then has to run a few steps to catch the other guys.

Also about those tissues in Children of the Gods another funny one from Jack,

TECHNICIAN
The object should now be through the Abydos Stargate.

HAMMOND
Now what?

O'NEILL
Now we wait. If Daniel's still around, he'll know what the message means.

SAMUELS
What if the aliens get it?

O'NEILL
Well, they could be blowing their noses right now.

:-)

-AnttiS
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

bftlovesRDA wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:28 pm It's been great to read everyone's comments about the first episode of Stargate.

Is it time to post comments about the second episode, "The Enemy Within"?
B, fire away....I am looking forward to your comment. :D

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hi, Anja. Thanks for the go ahead to discuss the 2nd Stargate Episode, "The Enemy Wihin"

First, I had a question = in this episode, General Hammond started the auto-destruct sequence several times when the Goa'ulds are banging on the iris of the Stargate. I don't remember him doing that in future episodes except on one or two special occasions. Did that seem like an extreme reaction which maybe was not included in future episodes because it was so extreme?

Anyway = this is IMHO another good episode in that it follows up on Episode 1. It was very creepy to me in that episode that Kawalsky had become possessed by a "snake" in his neck/spine. That is the main plot to this episode.

The other plot is Teal'c being interrogated by an Air Force officer with the threat that he would be taken off for "tests" like a damned guinea pig (as Jack stated.) Teal'c is not yet on SG1 so this all is going on before that event occurs.

Some interactions I remember include:

Jack = "So what's the bad news, General?"
Gen. Hammond = " Not much for small talk, are you, Colonel?"
Jack = "How was your weekend. Get any fishin' done?" (love that exchange)

Teal'c continues to affirm his decision and determination to pledge his allegiance and his warrior skills to this world. Jack continues to affirm that he is absolutely positive Teal'c will not switch back his allegiance after deciding to help save Jack's team and the people on Chulak.

Another exchange is that between Jack and Teal'c about why the people in charge don't trust him = Jack says," to be honest I think they are afraid of you." And Teal'c says, "Why is O'Neill not afraid?" Jack: "I saw you stand up to a god = and you refused to kill = in that moment I learned all I need to know to trust you."

So this episode is establishing Teal'c's loyalty to this world and its goals...and its defense.....that will last throughout the series (well with one episode's exception....)

The other plot picks up with Major Kawalsky having a bad headache and being examined by a doctor (not Dr. Frasier who is not yet in the series) who is eventually murdered by Kawalsky. Then he goes to the embarkation room and stands at the stargate where he doesn't know why he got there. He has blacked out. Jack finds him there and gets him back to the infirmary where Dr. Warner (a character who appears in later episodes) examines him and says he wants to do an MRI.

(A little tiny note is that we get the explanation for what a DHD is in this episode.....it's "like a telephone" according to Carter.)

Meanwhile the Air Force officer = Kennedy= is there to interrogate Teal'c. Jack: "Permission to barge in, sir". Jack comes in and Kennedy says he was hoping to meet Col. O'Neill since his mission report from Chulak made for the most engrossing reading of his career. (Goes back to the first episode).

(Another side note: We learn how to spell Teal'c's name in episode.....:-)

We also get an explanation of how the beings of this world evolved here = and I am not very clear on how they say this occurred....maybe others can clue me in.

Back at the Kawalsky story = Daniel finds the dead doctor in his bunk room. Doc Warner finds the MRI shows the "snake" in Kawalsky's neck/spine - and of course, Kawalsky's eyes glow......so if we had any doubt, we now know he has become host to a Gao'uld = referring back to the first episode's events.

Kawalsky attacks Sam - in the elevator - but Jack finds him there and gets him to the infirmary again. Kawalsky is pleading with Jack to get this damn thing outa him. Jack says, if we do that, Teal'c says you might die. Kawalsky: I don't care. Jack: They want to talk to it...we need to offer it life in order to save you. Kawalsky - no, I want you to kill it! (I would be voting with Kawalsky).

IN this episode, we learn from Teal'c about what Gao'ulds are like = pointers that will be important throughout the series.

We also learn about the Tauri = something that will also be important throughout the series.

(My side note = so the evil beings are the snakes, right? Or are they the "gods" who are hosts to the "snakes"? Or both?)

Interchange between Kawalsky and Jack:
K: Take my hand.
(Jack: Does so.)
K: I want to be cremated.
Jack: Can we not talk about this?
K: If not now, when am I going to talk about it?
Jack: If you don't make it, can I have your stereo????? (LOL)

Teal'c allows the doctor to test sedatives on him with his "snake" grossly coming out of his abdomen.....I always have to shield my eyes for the snake out of the abdomen scenes......and Teal'c's efforts help the doctor know what to use for the surgery on Kawalsky.

It looks like the docs get the Gao'uld out Kawalsky's spine and that he is okay. But we find out that he isn't okay and later he attacks Teal'c. Kawalsky and Teal'c fight it out on the ramp to the Stargate and Teal'c ends up having to kill Kawalsky because he still had a bit of the "snake" in him and he had merged with the Gao'uld....so the surgery was not successful after all.

Jack: "My friend died on that table."

Scene switches to General Hammond on the phone with the President. Talking about Teal'c. Bottom line result, Kennedy loses his argument to take Teal'c with him for "study" and, evidently at the approval of the President, Teal'c joins SG1. There for the first time we see all four members of SG1 going through the Stargate.

So, this episode is a foundational one for the entire series.....with regards to many things = especially with regard to just who the Goa'uld are, who the Tauri are, what happened to Kawalsky from the first episode's events, and all about Teal'c's pledge of allegiance to the Tauri world and how he came to be a part of SG1.

That's enough! Apologize in advance for the lengthy comments. Kate's summary of this episode and of all the episodes is so eloquent and concise = this one was elongated.

Can't wait to hear what others say about "The Enemy Within".
B
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

THE ENEMY WITHIN

One of my favorite scenes from this episode, always funny!
(Even though there is not much to laugh about in this episode)

O'Neill: You know, I'm kinda partial to P3A-575. You don't mind taking P3A-577, do you?
Kawalsky: No, I'll take 577.
O'Neill: I'm not married to it. I want to be fair about this. How 'bout we flip for it?
Hammond: How about you go where I tell you.

This episode has two storylines.
In one, Jack tries to convince General Hammond that Teal'c should be part of his team. He is convinced that Teal'c is trustworthy. The military and the government have their doubts and hold the Jaffa in custody. (Okay, I can not say it's not right to do that, from the military point of view!
But it made my heart melt for Teal'C) :(

Jack tries to explain to Teal'c why people act that way. An Colonel from the Pentagon joins the SGC to assess the situation.
Teal'c can finally prove (here both strands of action come together) that he is trustworthy, has the same goals as the Tau'ri and gets the chance to become an official member of SG 1.
:D

In the second storyline of the story we have to watch as Major Kawalsky, obsessed with a Goa'uld, tries to escape through the gate and died.
After realizing he was hosting a Goa'uld, they went out of their way to free him. With Teal'c's knowledge and help, they removed the symbionts of Kawaslky's spine. The operation succeeded, at least they let us believe that. A short time later, we realized it was a misconception. After attacking Teal'c in the infirmary, Kawalsky tried to escape through the gate. Teal'c just barred him by holding his head in the open wormhole while O'Neill shut off the gate. As a result, both Kawalsky and the Goa'uld died in him.

Kawalsky's death

Tragic episode. Grandiose pictures provided the scenes in which Major Kawalsky tied to the stretcher the Goa'uld embodied in him and then swung back into his own self. The horror was written in his face. :shock:
(Probably in mine as well, when I saw it for the first time)

He is fighting

In this episode we also get to know Dr. Warner, who will reappear in some episodes. (Not my favorite doctor! Please remove someone the stick from his butt!) 8-)
I would have liked to have seen more of Major Kawalsky, but his death did not mean it is not impossible, as we learn later;)
(Thanks god)

The worst part is certainly, Jack saw his friend die cruelly.
My friend died on the table.
(Emotionally rather no difference, right?)

My conclusion: It was never one of my favorite episodes, but I learned to love her when I saw her again some time ago!
it was a WOW effect!!

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

AnttiS wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 pm
GregMac wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:09 am I still like how Jack picked up the box of tissues to use as a "probe" to prove to Daniel that the message came from him. Daniel's reply helped establish the future relationship the two enjoyed. For example, how many times did we enjoy a "Yes, you DID!"/"No, I didn't!" moment between them!! :lol:
I like how they carried Daniel's allergies over to other episodes. Like in Bloodlines where we first meet Teal's family. As they arrive to Chulak and walk away from the gate Daniel sneezes and then has to run a few steps to catch the other guys.

Also about those tissues in Children of the Gods another funny one from Jack,

TECHNICIAN
The object should now be through the Abydos Stargate.

HAMMOND
Now what?

O'NEILL
Now we wait. If Daniel's still around, he'll know what the message means.

SAMUELS
What if the aliens get it?

O'NEILL
Well, they could be blowing their noses right now.

:-)

-AnttiS
Good comments, AntiiS. The "blowing their noses right now" is a great Jack wisecrack..... :D :D :D
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

JK,

Thank you soooooo much for the screenshots that go with your excellent comments.

I agree with you that there was not much to laugh at during this episode and that it was not a favorite of mine either.....to begin with anyway.

I thought Kawalsky's epic struggle with the symbiote within was difficult to watch = as you described = especially when he was tied to that table.

Anyway, thank you again so much for the photos. They make the comments come alive! :D :D :D
B