Your favorite Stargate episode from every season

Mac/Jack#1fan

Re: Your favorite Stargate episode from every season

Post by Mac/Jack#1fan »

MacBeth wrote:Did you watch Stargate Atlantis at all? I tried, but I just couldn't get into it.
Nope, I've never even tried SG Atlantis. I've never tried Stargate Universe either. RDA himself has said that he thinks SGU is very complicated and kinda....deep and confusing. He said there are so many parallel universes...he couldn't keep up with what was going on. So, if its that complicated of a show...I think I'll pass on it.
Back to SG Atlantis... I don't think I would really care for that one either. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime, I don't know. But for now, I'll pass :D

I think I'll just stick with my Stargate SG1 :D
(I just love that title, because its kinda fuuny, its the same thing twice, Stargate Stargate 1 :D )
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Last edited by Star Gazer on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

I faithfully watched SGU for its entire first season, although it got more and more difficult to slog through as it became apparent that the characters were deliberately built to be unlikeable, and that they were always going to be that way -- no redemption, no team-building, no trust earned or merited. And this was, supposedly, Stargate. Except that it had nothing of what I loved about Stargate. It did have some really interesting scriptwriting . . . talk about damning with faint praise.

After the season-ending cliffhanger, when it was left uncertain whether or not most of the cast were even still alive . . . I realized I didn't care. With the exception of Eli, none of them had ever been really worth caring about. Some of them, I wished Jack and Teal'c had simply shown up and shot in the first few episodes.

I was in the audience at MTM, when RDA asked what people thought about SGU, which he hadn't seen at all at that time. There was a general groan. Many of us had tried . . . and most of us felt badly let down.

I'm told that SGU got "a lot better" in its second season. Well, that was a year too late for me. I also noticed that the people who were praising it online with the most enthusiasm often prefaced their comments with "I never really liked Stargate, but this new series, this is great!" So -- the new series drove away most of the existing fans, and replaced them with (former) non-fans. This is reminiscent of dumping your spouse in hopes of getting a date with someone who sneers at you. Such a great idea.
Anne

Post by Anne »

I really enjoyed SGA even though I never got into it as much as SG-1. I don't read SGA fic either, but it was a good show with good team building and good story telling and it was still Stargate. I think one of the reasons why I could not get fully into it was Rodney because I wanted to shoot him whenever he opened his mouth. I know many people like him, but I just... even though I can truly say that I recognized the huge character development he made during the show and that he really improved and changed in some ways, I never got over my issues with him. I loved Carson and Keller. I also really liked Ronan and Shepherd. And I loved season four when Sam was in charge because I think she really got to shine as a commander. I think I never loved Sam more than in that season when she was on SGA.

I'm with Beth on SGU. I tried. I even watched the second season, but... none of the characters were loveable (yes, with exception of Eli maybe) and I need that in a show. I need chracters I can relate to or love. I need my heart to be in it, otherwise it's not working for me. I don't care if it's complicated or deep. I watch shows to really get into it and I can do complicated. But if the cast is not doing it for me, than I can't go on watching. And that's funny - I actually do have a friend who never liked SG-1 or SGA but really got into SGU and was pretty sad it ended. :lol:
Caty

Post by Caty »

And I thought it was my fault ...
To read that you also didn't like SGU makes me feel much better. I think it was terrible!
There were only the few episodes with Rick that makes me watch it at all.
But not all of them, otherwise you could visit me in a padded cell by now ;)

SGA was SGA, it was not SG1 but it was o.k. and the first episode with Rick was the best. :D
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Anne wrote:I'm with Beth on SGU. I tried. I even watched the second season, but... none of the characters were loveable (yes, with exception of Eli maybe) and I need that in a show. I need chracters I can relate to or love. I need my heart to be in it, otherwise it's not working for me. I don't care if it's complicated or deep. I watch shows to really get into it and I can do complicated. But if the cast is not doing it for me, than I can't go on watching.
I felt the same way about SGU. There wasn't a single character I found likeable enough to care about. I stayed with it all the way to the end, out of loyalty, but none of the characters grew on me. I found Rush to be particularly unlikeable and flat, and since it was the first thing I had ever seen Robert Carlyle in, his character was influencing my impression of him as an actor.

Then Once Upon a Time came on the air and I was blown away. In every scene, Carlyle was brilliant, and no matter what incarnation he was playing, whether Rumpelstiltskin or Gold, there was so much depth, there were so many subtle nuances, he even managed to make the Dark One "likeable". And talk about complicated - plots don't get much more convoluted than Once Upon a Time. So I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that it must have been some combination of producing or writing or directing, or maybe it was just that undefinable "chemistry" that failed to bring to life the characters that these actors were capable of playing. At least for me, it just never clicked.

Not to make this a Once Upon a Time thread - I just wanted to point out what was an eye-opening contrast to me. I realize that this is a "favorite episode" topic, so I'll have to think about that. I do know, however, that Solitudes and Abyss will be right at the top for me.

Kate
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

Try as I may, I couldn't pick just one in some seasons. So here goes:

S1 Solitudes
S2 1969, The Fifth Race
S3 Learning Curve, 100 Days, Point of View
S4 Window of Op, Beneath the Surface
S5 Meridian
S6 Abyss, Smoke & Mirrors (because of the "special guest star")
S7 Heroes, Lifeboat (I think MS was fantastic in this)
S8 Threads
S9 Origin (These were the only two I've seen)
S10 Shroud
If you can't say anything nice.....

Annelies

Post by Annelies »

I agree Pam, MS was fantastic in Lifeboat!!!
Lots of love,

Lies

nicolemj@otenet.gr

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

Here's my list, though it's hard to choose.

Season 1 -Hathor and Solitudes
Season 2 - Message in a Bottle and 1969
Season 3 - A Hundred Days and Shades of Grey
Season 4 - Divide and conquer and Window of Opportunity
Season 5 - Wormhole X-treme
Season 6 - Abyss and Paradise lost
Season 7 - Heroes and Lost City
Season 8 - It's good to be King - Threads - Moebius
Anne

Post by Anne »

Oh, how could I forget Lifeboat and It's good to be King? Both excellent eps! But there you go - just choosing one per season just doesn't work "g"