Jack and Sam's Relationship

Kti

Re: Jack and Sam's Relationship

Post by Kti »

My feeling tells me I'm sitting on the Gustloff!
Caty

Post by Caty »

Why that? It's only one thread ;)
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Caty wrote:
Star Gazer wrote:Are we a "shipping" site now?
YESSSS! This is the Shipping thread on this website ;)

Ship, ship hooray ;) :lol: :lol:
Then count me out, please. I'm sorry, but "shipping" inevitably migrates towards dissension and hurt feelings, and seeing that happen here would break my heart.
Jemster

Post by Jemster »

Star Gazer wrote:
Caty wrote:

Then count me out, please. I'm sorry, but "shipping" inevitably migrates towards dissension and hurt feelings, and seeing that happen here would break my heart.
Then simply don't pay attention to this thread. And it's not like we're going to be dissing anyone else's preference..that would be rude and uncalled for. If Kate doesn't think this is appropriate then we'll stop. Either way, have a great day!

Michelle
Caty

Post by Caty »

Star Gazer wrote:
Caty wrote:

I never ment something like that to happen! I don't want to hurt anybody but deep in my heart I'm a shipper, I love those scenes and I read tons of shipping fanfiction. Just can't help myself ;) :oops: :oops:

I don't see there any problem and any reason for dissension or to hurt other people. NEVER!
I love you all like family and that will never change.
"

(Buddha)
Kti

Post by Kti »

Star Gazer wrote:
Caty wrote:
I've been thinking about the definition of 'shipping-site.'
First, I translated it for the purposes of sending. In Catys ship I naturally thought of the thing on the water. Makes no deeper meaning and is also my problem.
I havent seen 'Shipping' in the meaning of make fun about someone. I can not imagine that anyone here would like to do another hurt or that here is fertile ground for something like that.

However, I believe that at the stargate page may be a little Jack-irony too, as long as it doesn't ends in sarcasm.

Before I write me around the head and neck, I was saddened by your post yesterday. We want to search only for the indications of a deeper affection between Jack and Sam. Should it concern the comment concerning my image of unknown origin, so I can assure you that this was an attempt to make a joke.

Just as I do not understand all the fuss, I do not understand why I have so responds to your comment yesterday. Now this is really ridiculous and I'm ashamed to admit it, but my tears have come, because I ... oh now do not care!

I would be very grateful Star Gazer, if you would tell me what makes the stone of contention for you;).
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Kti wrote:Just as I do not understand all the fuss, I do not understand why I have so responds to your comment yesterday. Now this is really ridiculous and I'm ashamed to admit it, but my tears have come, because I ... oh now do not care!

I would be very grateful Star Gazer, if you would tell me what makes the stone of contention for you;).
I'll try to explain before this becomes an uncomfortable debate.

For those not familiar with the word, "shipping" comes from the word "relationship" and is used among fans who see a particular (usually romantic) relationship between two characters.

In the Stargate world, there are generally two main types of "shipping" - those who see a romantic relationship between Jack and Sam, and those who see a romantic relationship between Jack and Daniel. Fans who have been in the fandom since the beginning have often been witness to some very angry arguments between these two groups, to the point where there have actually been websites and forum campaigns dedicated to "proving" why the other group is "wrong," and the fandom was split into bitter quarreling factions.

Many of the fans who visit this website are Jack/Sam shippers, but there are also a number of regulars who are Jack/Daniel shippers, and still others who see only friendship among the four characters and no romantic relationship at all. And thankfully this forum has usually been able to stay above the nasty online feuds among the factions. As long as those who feel one way or the other are able to acknowledge that not everyone will agree with them, and as long as "shipping" threads remain separate so that those who do not agree can easily avoid them, I don't have a problem with it.

I suspect Star Gazer's concern, however, is that once a Jack/Sam thread begins, others will feel obligated to begin a Jack/Daniel thread, or still others may feel they need to debate why either thread should not exist. The whole question of shipping can often bring up very unpleasant memories from the past, and those who lived through it once don't want to go through it again.

My feeling is that there are enough scenes that fans can use as examples to "prove" any relationship they want, or no relationship at all. And as long as posts about these opinions remain open-minded enough to accept that not everyone will agree, and as long as threads remain isolated enough that those who choose to may avoid them, I will allow it. But if Star Gazer's fear of the forum becoming a "shipping site" starts to lead to dissension, debates, arguments, and hurt feelings, I will need to end and remove the threads.

I'm asking everyone to either remain open-minded or to enjoy shipping discussions on fan sites devoted to their favorite pairings.

Thanks,

Kate
Caty

Post by Caty »

Thanks Kate :D

I'm used to the term "shipping", for both ways Sam&Jack and Daniel&Jack (there are also Sam&Janet and Daniel&Janet shipper) but I can't imagine to go in any serious argument about that. I just love the shipping fanfiction, deep in my heart I am helplessly romantic ;)

And I must confess, I've also read some Daniel&Jack-fanfictions :oops:

It's just fun and we all are here because we love Rick and everything that makes Jack happy makes me happy, too :D
And don't forget, Rick and Jack are different people :lol: :lol:
"

(Buddha)
Kti

Post by Kti »

Thank you Kate!
And I still had specially asked my English neighbors yesterday !!
Meanwhile Caty has also explained to me that with the 'shipping.'
Thanks to your lines I can now understand the fears.
However, I can not imagine why a discussion about this topic can get out of hand. I do not feel that anyone here does not accept the opinions of others. I find it interesting when someone in a scene interpreted something completely different than me.
I also do not want any discussion that hardens! There are much better things to do and discover here.
I just want it correct: I'm sorry Star Gazer, when we have awakened old bad memories. I apologize for my incorrect definition and overreaction. I had just a bad day and been looking forward to this thread and then... for me, this is now history and I hope that your fears are unfounded.

Now I'm going to practice english vocabulary ;).
Anne

Post by Anne »

KateR wrote:I suspect Star Gazer's concern, however, is that once a Jack/Sam thread begins, others will feel obligated to begin a Jack/Daniel thread, or still others may feel they need to debate why either thread should not exist. The whole question of shipping can often bring up very unpleasant memories from the past, and those who lived through it once don't want to go through it again.
Ship wars are a nasty thing and those who have witnessed them or got somehow in the middle of them (in just trying to defend what we love against a forceful intolerant group of others) have probably learned their lesson and avoid them. I have for sure. Not getting into that ever again. Fandom should be about the love of the show and everyone should allow others to love what they love even if it's not their cup of tea. But it's not always easy to maintain peace when there's someone in the crowed who believes 'their' pairing is the only one that's canon and steers trouble - most ship wars start with simple discussions about why this pairing and not that one - and then in the heat of the passion of what we love gets out of hand.

That said, I am one of the (few?) Jack/Daniel shipper on this forum and I would never open a Jack/Daniel thread because this isn't a board about pairings/shipping. There are many many places for Jack/Daniel or Jack/Sam lovers on the net where we can enjoy our pairing in fic, vid, discussion and art without crossing wires or having to 'compete' with other pairings. And there are many many multi-pairing sites on the net where all kind of pairings are happily shipping along each other, too.

My issue here - in previous years - was that the Jack/Sam threads on the old board tended to bleed over to the photo/video threads, the thunk thread, the RDA threads and everywhere to a point where it was just not possible to just 'ignore' them. Which made it hard to enjoy the forum as a non-shipper. That has calmed down somewhat to some extend, which is good.

Despite feeling that shipping should belong to webistes about the pairings/characters, I can accept that the majority of fans here seem to be Jack/Sam shipper (or at least the majority of those who post regularly are), so this thread is probably a good idea for those who love J/S to post about J/S - and those who don't want to read/post about J/S can just stay out of it.

Just my two cents :)