Jack and Sam's Relationship

bftlovesRDA

Re: Jack and Sam's Relationship

Post by bftlovesRDA »

mac_jack_fangirl wrote:Like these?

YES! Mac_Jack_Fangirl - THANK YOU! Exactly the photos I was searching for! OH MY - they were in love with each other for sure. Sigh. How I wish the writers could have expanded on that relationship even more. Of course, each one had relationships with others - Sam with Pete and the Ambassador and that one other guy from another planet, I forget his name and Jack with Kentia and with Laira and with Johnson of the CIA. But they all came back to each other.

When Carter goes to Jack's house and is about to tell him why she feels she is making a huge mistake in marrying Pete, and Johnson comes out the door with the food, how much I wish somehow Sam could tell Jack at some point the reason she feels she is making that mistake.....sigh again.

But the writers knew best.

(P.S. to Kate and all - thank you for permitting this diversion about the Jack and Sam relationship...it is brief and I didn't mean it to be a cause for division so thank you to all who have put up with it and to all who have enjoyed it....Jack and Sam forever!
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Kti wrote:
bftlovesRDA wrote:Yes, you are right. This photo is just after the one Kti posted (I believe).

Now, I am thinking of another episode where Jack and Sam seem to be in a "special" relationship. It is the one where they are thought to be Zatarks (spelling?) Is it Divide and Conquer? It is when they are both accused of being Zatarks but the truth is that when Jack couldn't save Sam in the Go'ould ship (that they were there to destroy) - because of the barrier that came up - he said he would rather die himself than lose Carter....because he cared about her a LOT MORE THAN HE WAS SUPPOSED TO!

Then, later, when they were deciding what to do about the situation, Jack offers to go through the treatment that might end his life because he thought if that happened it might help them save Sam...and Sam runs after him as far as they let her go - and he is seen walking down the hall turning back to look at her.....pensively. Sam is obviously in distress that he might go through something like that with the possible consequences.

I don't have any photos of these events - maybe somebody else does....but it is a big episode for their deep relationship... :oops:
First, thank you mac_jack_fangirl for this emotional montage :D.
That I call crackle! And more!
But my image of unknown origin can not be associated with 'Divide and Conquer'. Here Jack wears no blue, his hair is 0.1574" shorter :lol: and Sam's a little bit longer.
Kti is an old smartass :roll:. Excuse me!

In 'Divide and Conquer' this scene goes deep in my heart:

Both show more than professional contingent interest in each other.
...'a lot more than I'm supposed to'...

And now... just again "Pippi" in my eyes...
I meant to thank you, Kti, for the photos you posted - such good ones and just exactly what I was looking for too. So, thank you!
B
Kti

Post by Kti »

Anne wrote:
KateR wrote:I suspect Star Gazer's concern, however, is that once a Jack/Sam thread begins, others will feel obligated to begin a Jack/Daniel thread, or still others may feel they need to debate why either thread should not exist. The whole question of shipping can often bring up very unpleasant memories from the past, and those who lived through it once don't want to go through it again.
Ship wars are a nasty thing and those who have witnessed them or got somehow in the middle of them (in just trying to defend what we love against a forceful intolerant group of others) have probably learned their lesson and avoid them. I have for sure. Not getting into that ever again. Fandom should be about the love of the show and everyone should allow others to love what they love even if it's not their cup of tea. But it's not always easy to maintain peace when there's someone in the crowed who believes 'their' pairing is the only one that's canon and steers trouble - most ship wars start with simple discussions about why this pairing and not that one - and then in the heat of the passion of what we love gets out of hand.

That said, I am one of the (few?) Jack/Daniel shipper on this forum and I would never open a Jack/Daniel thread because this isn't a board about pairings/shipping. There are many many places for Jack/Daniel or Jack/Sam lovers on the net where we can enjoy our pairing in fic, vid, discussion and art without crossing wires or having to 'compete' with other pairings. And there are many many multi-pairing sites on the net where all kind of pairings are happily shipping along each other, too.

My issue here - in previous years - was that the Jack/Sam threads on the old board tended to bleed over to the photo/video threads, the thunk thread, the RDA threads and everywhere to a point where it was just not possible to just 'ignore' them. Which made it hard to enjoy the forum as a non-shipper. That has calmed down somewhat to some extend, which is good.

Despite feeling that shipping should belong to webistes about the pairings/characters, I can accept that the majority of fans here seem to be Jack/Sam shipper (or at least the majority of those who post regularly are), so this thread is probably a good idea for those who love J/S to post about J/S - and those who don't want to read/post about J/S can just stay out of it.

Just my two cents :)
Anne, thank's to you. Your lines were very enlightening for me.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Kiti wrote:
Anne, thank's to you. Your lines were very enlightening for me.
Yes, thank you Anne = agree with Kti - your words ARE very enlightening for me also. Thanks to Kti, Caty, Mac_Jack_fangirl, Jemster, Stargazer, and Kate (and anyone else I have left off) for contributing to the discussion.
B
Jemster

Post by Jemster »

KateR wrote:And as long as posts about these opinions remain open-minded enough to accept that not everyone will agree, and as long as threads remain isolated enough that those who choose to may avoid them, I will allow it. But if Star Gazer's fear of the forum becoming a "shipping site" starts to lead to dissension, debates, arguments, and hurt feelings, I will need to end and remove the threads.

I'm asking everyone to either remain open-minded or to enjoy shipping discussions on fan sites devoted to their favorite pairings.

Thanks,

Kate

I agree with Kate. I also would like to keep this thread isolated from the rest of the board and if it bleeds over in any way it needs to go. I, for one, am probably not going to post very much in this thread but I will read it from time to time. Keep it respectful people. :-)

Michelle
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Now that we have the great pictures that go with this topic, I really don't have any more to say on the subject except what I have said which is that I just wish that the writers had found a way to incorporate more of the relationship between Jack and Sam into the scripts.....but I can understand why they did not do that. That's all I really want to say on the subject.
B
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Ladies, please don't not post on this thread just because I'm not a "shipper." I certainly did not intend to spoil anyone's fun and I probably should not have written anything to begin with. Kate very effectively summed up my objection to "ship threads;" however, my (unpleasant) experiences have not been limited to Stargate. Nevertheless, I apologize if I made anyone feel bad or even uncomfortable with my remarks; I am a huge supporter of allowing one's creativity to be expressed without censor and I apologize if anyone here feels as if I was trying to control or - even worse - suppress their expression. Karen
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Star Gazer wrote:Ladies, please don't not post on this thread just because I'm not a "shipper." I certainly did not intend to spoil anyone's fun and I probably should not have written anything to begin with. Kate very effectively summed up my objection to "ship threads;" however, my (unpleasant) experiences have not been limited to Stargate. Nevertheless, I apologize if I made anyone feel bad or even uncomfortable with my remarks; I am a huge supporter of allowing one's creativity to be expressed without censor and I apologize if anyone here feels as if I was trying to control or - even worse - suppress their expression. Karen
Hi, Star gazer - thanks for those kind words...but I don't feel as if you were trying to suppress my expression, for instance. I really started this thread to find incidences of Jack and Sam's heartfelt relationship and now that we have all the photos of all the instances, that is satisfying to me. Others may want to comment more and I hope they do. I'll comment now and then if others do.

One comment is that I watched "Grace" last night and found the incident where Sam is off on that ship alone and Jack is missing her and he expresses his concern for her several times just with his looks- his expressions are priceless. Then in the locker room when Teal'c comes in and Jack first doesn't want to hear from him and then says, "All right - WHAT?" and Teal'c says that when Jack and Maybourne were off on that moon (in Paradise Lost), that Sam felt the same "frustration" as Jack was feeling now.....I had forgotten this scene took place in this episode. Of course there is much else in "Grace" that indicates they have this relationship when on the ship Jack visits Sam in that "reality" when Sam says something like, "What if I gave up my career in the Air Force" and we are waiting for Jack to say something profound, when he says, "I would never ask you to give up your career."......but that is another indication of how deep is their relationship. Her father indicates she is missing something in her life and that something is, IMHO, JACK! Sam even says so when she says that as long as she is putting her hopes and dreams on Jack, knowing she can't attain that which she longs for the most, she can't be hurt by anyone else....another indication of that deep love for Jack.

But what does it mean when Jack says, "I am not that complex." and "I am a safe bet." I am not sure what that means.
B
mac_jack_fangirl

Post by mac_jack_fangirl »

bftlovesRDA wrote:
But what does it mean when Jack says, "I am not that complex." and "I am a safe bet." I am not sure what that means.
If you want to go through 11 pages of comments, you might enjoy this.... :)

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/282-Grace-(713)

Hope it's okay to post links to other forums.....
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks for that link. I am going through those pages and am finding the answers (of those posters) to my question.
Here is the conversation (and I realize it's between Carter and the "Jack" part of herself....but it still is Jack doing the talking....It is still confusing to me....maybe because I am a die-hard shipper. But then there is "the kiss" which tells all I need to know about Sam's true feelings for Jack. But if he is telling her to just let him go so she can be "happy", well it is a crusher.

CARTER: Came to give me a pep talk?

O'NEILL: That's what friends are for.

CARTER: Friends?

O'NEILL: Hey. This is you talking here. Might as well be honest.

CARTER: What if I quit the Air Force? Would that change anything or is it just an excuse?

O'NEILL: I would never ask you to give up your career.

CARTER: Because you don't feel anything for me?

O'NEILL: Carter.

CARTER: I'd let you go right now if I knew.

O'NEILL: That easy?

CARTER: I didn't say it would be easy.

O'NEILL: Then what's stopping you if you really wanna know?

CARTER: I'm trying.

O'NEILL: Maybe it's not me that's the problem here. Let's face it, I'm not that complex.

CARTER: Me?

O'NEILL: Sam. I'm a safe bet.

CARTER: As long as I'm thinking about you, setting my sights on what I think is unobtainable, there's no chance of being hurt by someone else.

O'NEILL: Jacob was right. You deserve more. I will always be there for you, no matter what. Believe me.

CARTER: So what now?

O'NEILL: Go save your ass.

Here is one response: Jack is a "safe bet" because he's unobtainable (due to regulations that forbid romantic relationships between two officers).

Because Jack and Sam can never be together as they are, Sam doesn't have to risk the possible pains/disappointments that a relationship in the "real world" encompasses. Especially in a relationship that means more to her than any other she has previously experienced......

And here is another interpretation -bascially the same thing.
I thought 'safe bet' meant that they couldn't have a relationship so it was 'safe' for her emotionally to fall for him cos it would never go anywhere, as opposed to a real boyfriend who might want more - like commitment, marriage and all that dangerous jazz.

I understand that take on it - but my take is that it's a safe bet because he loves her and there is no doubt about it.....but she cannot have him as things are....so it is "safe" for her to stay tied to him emotionally since she doesn't have to risk the pain of losing someone else. But as she said, giving up on Jack would not be "easy" :? :? :? ......and giving up on their relationship is not easy for us shippers either! Any other comments are welcome.
B