Questions and answers about Stargate

xena

Re: Questions and answers about Stargate

Post by xena »

KateR wrote:
darling wrote: Thank you so much for the explanation!
But as Kti I wonder why there is "Jack" instead of "Jonathan". :?
Officially the correct name has to be "Jonathan", hasn't it?
It depends on your source. They never had very good continuity on that.

I don't remember offhand in which episodes they called him Jonathan. In Entity, the computer personnel files give his name as John O'Neill. Later, in Fragile Balance, we get a glimpse of his security ID, and that gives his name as John J. O'Neill. Later, that ID was destroyed by the props department and replaced with another ID that gives his name as "Col. O'Neill, Jack." Both his IDs keep the same birthday, though: October 20, 1952.

Just as a little aside, I probably told this story before, but the props department works ahead of the episode filming, obviously, to have the props ready in advance. Fragile Balance was, I believe, the first episode filmed for season 7 (even though it aired third), so that meant the props department was working before everyone had returned from hiatus. They needed to know RDA's height and eye color (not sure why, because that doesn't actually show up on the ID badge, but maybe it was meant to be on some other document for the episode), and RDA wasn't there to ask. So I got this email from Vancouver, saying that they were working on ID documents for O'Neill and asking me for RDA's height and eye color so they could get the prop ready. I didn't know what it was for at the time, but I wish they had asked me about his birthday, too, because I don't think October 20 (Libra) suits him at all. Three days later he would have been a Scorpio - much more like Jack. ;)

But for things like these, the props department does not always check with the front office for continuity, so there may be conflicting information about certain details. It's like trying to figure out MacGyver's birthday - too many conflicting hints!

(Oh, and another story about the props department having a little fun... Did you know that one of the official certificates on General O'Neill's office wall was signed by Major General Angus MacGyver? :lol: )

Remind me, though, how many times was Jack called Jonathan?

Kate
thaks a lot kate for the explanations. i did not know about jonathan..
and signed as mac is really funny :lol:
xena

Post by xena »

Kti wrote:In German there is a saying so, no idea if that's correct to translate: 'There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.'
I once again read somewhere that M. Shanks was not as compliant with the representation of Daniels and therefore wanted to get out.
Well his other acting ambitions were not so successful, so he was then purely written again.
This is a good thing! It would have been missing something! This love-hate relationship between Daniel and Jack .. and they really appreciate each other enormously.
thanks kti!
i did not know this either..
i believe michael shanks was definitely very succesful in sg1.. but surprisingly (for me) corin nemec was really succesful too. i mean he was to fill daniel jackson on the team, and he did. he did not copy daniel but was a nice different character.. i really loved him and did not want him to leave the show..
Caty

Post by Caty »

xena wrote:
Kti wrote:In German there is a saying so, no idea if that's correct to translate: 'There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.'
I once again read somewhere that M. Shanks was not as compliant with the representation of Daniels and therefore wanted to get out.
Well his other acting ambitions were not so successful, so he was then purely written again.
This is a good thing! It would have been missing something! This love-hate relationship between Daniel and Jack .. and they really appreciate each other enormously.
thanks kti!
i did not know this either..
i believe michael shanks was definitely very succesful in sg1.. but surprisingly (for me) corin nemec was really succesful too. i mean he was to fill daniel jackson on the team, and he did. he did not copy daniel but was a nice different character.. i really loved him and did not want him to leave the show..

... and that's the difference between Corin Nemec and Ben Browder. Browder always acted as Mitchell like a copy of Jack O'Neill. That couldn't work. If he invented Mitchell as a special character with definitely other attitudes like Jack, I guess he would have been more successfull.
Just my two cents ;)
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
xena

Post by xena »

I WONDER...
when did this scar on his eyebrow came and how? i believe it happened during sg1 times but how and exactly when.. :roll:
Kti

Post by Kti »

xena wrote:I WONDER...
when did this scar on his eyebrow came and how? i believe it happened during sg1 times but how and exactly when.. :roll:
http://rdanderson.com/archives/2003-09-11.htm
Stand somewhat further below.
When ?! Just my guess: so to '1969' :?: Until 'Show and Tell' she was at least not yet to see.
Caty

Post by Caty »

Kti wrote:
xena wrote:I WONDER...
http://rdanderson.com/archives/2003-09-11.htm
Stand somewhat further below.
When ?! Just my guess: so to '1969' :?: Until 'Show and Tell' she was at least not yet to see.
It was much earlier, just remember "The Broca Devide"

But now, as I look at the picture, I'm not so sure. The scar we are talking about is a little more to the right, I guess :?
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
mac_jack_fangirl

Post by mac_jack_fangirl »

Caty wrote:
It was much earlier, just remember "The Broca Devide"

But now, as I look at the picture, I'm not so sure. The scar we are talking about is a little more to the right, I guess :?
This should also be on the THUNK thread :D :D
Kti

Post by Kti »

Now it is really a mystery to me! I once made ​​a scar check!
Incidentally, I noticed for the first time, that on my Edition 'Thor's Hammer' and 'Hathor' is on disc 6 of the second season (not declared on the cover) and on the first season. This makes even more mess :?!

Okay! 'The Broca Divide' a little too far to the left.

1969 fits better, but still not perfect.

Immediately afterwards, in 'Out of Mind' (although who knows if that is chronologically now) ...

And at the beginning of 'The Broca Divide' ... did I have dirt on the monitor? What's this?

So that will not be writing a thesis, I'll stop my guesses and only say that they will just makes him even more interesting!
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Kti wrote:Now it is really a mystery to me! I once made ​​a scar check!
Incidentally, I noticed for the first time, that on my Edition 'Thor's Hammer' and 'Hathor' is on disc 6 of the second season (not declared on the cover) and on the first season. This makes even more mess :?!

Okay! 'The Broca Divide' a little too far to the left.

1969 fits better, but still not perfect.

Immediately afterwards, in 'Out of Mind' (although who knows if that is chronologically now) ...

And at the beginning of 'The Broca Divide' ... did I have dirt on the monitor? What's this?

So that will not be writing a thesis, I'll stop my guesses and only say that they will just makes him even more interesting!
Good summary of the "eye scar"---or it should be "eye scars". I can't see all the pictures clearly but do know there were at least two different eye scars and it does just make things more interesting!
B
Kti

Post by Kti »

For a long time I'm looking for the DVD on the behind-the scenes special is where RDA presents his knees for the crew.
I think have checked them all and can not find it. The scene on youtube myself constantly jumping to highlighted musically. But I would like to hear his comment! If anyone has the answer, I would be very thankfull :D.