Questions and answers about Stargate

NiLa

Re: Questions and answers about Stargate

Post by NiLa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:21 am

Hi Barbara....that was my problem at first, too.

You will get used to it....RDA is very convincing in his role....as always :D

Anja ;)

BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm working my way through Season 7. I thought "Heroes" was positively brilliant, especially the second part.

But, my question is about "Chimera." I liked Pete Shanahan at first. But then, behind Carter's back, he contacts a friend at the FBI and tries to find out more about Carter. He even follows her to work and interferes in her mission. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem to mind that he followed her to work! In fact, she gets permission to tell him all about SG-1. I found that totally unbelievable and was really annoyed by it. I don't see how she can trust him.

So I was just wondering if this has ever been discussed and what other people think.
Barbara

eurmos

Post by eurmos » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 pm

BarbaraB wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm
I'm working my way through Season 7. I thought "Heroes" was positively brilliant, especially the second part.

But, my question is about "Chimera." I liked Pete Shanahan at first. But then, behind Carter's back, he contacts a friend at the FBI and tries to find out more about Carter. He even follows her to work and interferes in her mission. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem to mind that he followed her to work! In fact, she gets permission to tell him all about SG-1. I found that totally unbelievable and was really annoyed by it. I don't see how she can trust him.

So I was just wondering if this has ever been discussed and what other people think.
I believe that they granted her permission to take him to Cheyenne Mountain because of all that he witnessed at Daniel's. He saw the alien tech that Sarah used. Maybe they thought it was better to tell him the truth. I thought it was pretty shady of him to contact the FBI as well. She made a point of telling him that what she did was classified. He should have left it at that. For me that would be a definite deal breaker in a relationship.
Beth

BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:08 pm

A definite deal breaker! If the writers and producers wanted Pete to find out the truth about Carter, they should have found a better way to do it.
Barbara

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:23 am

I have a slightly different opinon on Pete and what he did. I only got annoyed at him at a much later point in season 8, but that's another story. You have to keep in mind that he is a cop and I guess that once a cop always a cop. Meaning, he wanted to make sure Sam is 'clean'. Maybe he's been a burned child, I am not sure (can't remember if they ever touched on that) and just wanted to make sure his new girlfried isn't involved in anything shady. I am not saying what he did was okay - because it wasn't from the perspective of trust in a developing relationship - but in a way it was understandable (to me). Also, I guess the reason Sam didn't really mind, or didn't get overly mad about what he did was that she probably understood that AND probably would have done the same if things had been reversed, simply because in her line of job she couldn't be careful enough about with whom she hooks up. So I guess if she had any suspicions or any weird vibes coming from Pete she would have checked him out as well. That's just my two cents of thought.

BTW I'm actually pretty sure that Jack would check out background information on any 'outside relationship' he might have started (if he ever had) with someone he just met just to be on the safe side. In their line of work you can't be careful enough. And while Pete is not in their line of work, he had enough reasons to at least want to be sure the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with was not some kind of ... whatever he thought she might be :D

BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Because of the nature of their work, I would be OK if Jack or Sam felt it was necessary to check out someone he or she was dating. I guess my objection with Pete was that Sam told him her work was classified, so he went behind her back to check her out and then interfered in her mission. He could have gotten killed, or caused the death of someone else.

I just started watching Season 8, so I'll be looking for whatever it was that annoyed you about Pete!
Barbara