Oz Comic Con in Melbourne, Australia - July 5-6

tvero80

Re: Oz Comic Con in Melbourne, Australia - July 5-6

Post by tvero80 »

Many thanks for the updates Kate. It's almost 'live' as if we were there too :)

V
zuzik2301

Post by zuzik2301 »

Thank you so much Kate!
If you want to know where your heart is look to where your mind goes when it wanders
Caty

Post by Caty »

WOW! So much new stuff! Thank you Kate :D :D
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Am still waiting and hoping for a youtube video of the Oz ComiCon in Melbourne, Australia - of RDA's panel (if he had one - surely he did). If anyone knows how to get a video of that event, please let us know. Thanks.
B
LilyC

Post by LilyC »

Hey guys! I was a volunteer at this years Oz Comic-Con. This is my first post in this forum, so I won't go into my RDA 'journey' here, but I thought you'd all enjoy my take on the weekends events, and my encounters with Rick.

I was working on Stage 1, where the bigger guests do their panels. I had signed up to volunteer well before RIck was announced as a guest, and when it was announced I was over the moon excited! Rick's panel wasn't until 5pm Saturday evening, so I used my break time to sneak up to the autographing area and catch a peek of him lol! He honestly looked great, I actually think he looks a lot better in person than in the recent photographs of him. He's aged really well and I personally think he carries his extra weight nicely. He definitely looked good for someone who was likely exhausted! So 5pm rolled around, and I was giddy with excitement. I'd worked my arse off all day, so I was fairly exhausted myself. My main job of the day had been running the microphone during panels, so by the end of the day I was getting pretty good at it. Then the intro video starts playing, applause, and in he walks. He was hilarious! It was a great crowd, the jokes he told were gold and everyone had a really relaxed and fun time. Every time I had an attendee with a question, I'd wave my hands around or jump up and down so that he could find them easily (a lot of people asking questions did the whole "I'm over here!" Thing, which is pretty redundant when you're on a stage in front of a lot of people). I was doing my best to get questions from attendees spread throughout the room, not just those at the front. At one stage near the end, Rick asked the attendee to hold on and said "I just wanted to talk to the sweet young lady there with you," (I about died), "Could you take the next question from someone in the back?" I nodded and saluted him, and then he realised what he said and added, "Ha ha, in the back, get it?" To which I died laughing.

I shook his hand as he left that panel and said thanks. Crossed paths a few more times later that evening, as I was sent up to the autograph cue to help with the lines. Rick was actually due to leave after his 5pm panel, but he hadn't been able to get through the sheer number of people, so he stayed back to finish signing. How nice is that?! It kind of turned into a race between him and Robert Englund (the original Freddie Krueger) and Rick won and we all had a bit of a cheer haha. On the Sunday, I got my picture taken with Rick. He was super busy, but so nice and happy to chat as much as time would allow. I showed him my Stargate tattoo which he said was cool, and then he remembered me from the panel the night before and thanked me for being a good sport :)

The overwhelming impression I got from him was that he is a truly genuine, caring, humble person. That weekend was one of the best experiences I've had!

bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

LilyC wrote:
Hey guys! I was a volunteer at this years Oz Comic-Con. This is my first post in this forum, so I won't go into my RDA 'journey' here, but I thought you'd all enjoy my take on the weekends events, and my encounters with Rick.
Hi, LilyC - so sorry - did not see your post until now. THANK YOU for the great report of RDA's appearance at the Oz Comi Con in Melbourne, Australia. You wrote about it so well.....feel like I was "there" with you as you retold the events. Glad to read that he looks even better in person than he does in pictures. Also, glad that you got to get a picture with him - you both look great! :D Sounds like you worked very hard that day and you deserved to get the photo with him!

Thanks again for the report and welcome to the forum. Hope you will post more often.
Last edited by bftlovesRDA on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
j-sky

Post by j-sky »

Thank you, LilyC,
for your interesting report and nice photo with him :).
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Same here .I hadn't seen your post before (?!). It reminds me of Duesseldorf so much (though on the photo I was much,much,much closer (oh god, when I think of it...)

Thank you very much for sharing LilyC.

V
Caty

Post by Caty »

First: Welcome LilyC to the most wonderful forum in the world ;)

Second: Thank you so much for your report. That was very interesting to read and I'm glad, that you had such a good time and Rick also.
He is a wonderful man :D
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

Welcome here LilyC :D and thanks for sharing your experience at Oz Cominc Con.
As you said, he's really a genuine, caring and humble person ;)
See you around :D
Claudia