New Stargate Movie Trilogy Planned-but no RDA or AT or MS

bftlovesRDA

New Stargate Movie Trilogy Planned-but no RDA or AT or MS

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Just read this on GateWorld.com - http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/05/f ... logy-news/

Look at comments and add your own if you can.

My comment here is I will NEVER go to see a Stargate Movie unless RDA is in it. Period. I hope this Trilogy without him flops. :evil: :evil:

(Obviously, I am not happy that a Stargate movie - let alone a Trilogy - is being planned without the presence of the person who MADE Stargate the tremendous HIT that it was. The original movie was okay, but the TV Series with RDA in the starring role is the ONLY reason Stargate truly became as popular as it has been, IMHO.) :( :(

Other comments are welcome.

P.S. I truly long for the day when Richard Dean Anderson is back on the screen either in Television program or Movie (whenever he is ready to do this. Been waiting for such news. This Stargate Trilogy news - without RDA - cuts like a knife!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
B
Caty

Re: New Stargate Movie Trilogy Planned-but no RDA or AT or M

Post by Caty »

MGM have the script for a 3rd SG1-Movie, why don't they make this?
Stargate without Rick is no Stargate!
Who cares for Russel? :evil: :evil:
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Agreed. Could care less about Kurt Russell.

This is so crazy! :evil: :evil: :evil:
B
Caty

Post by Caty »

Really! Rick gave Jack O'Neill (with 2 ll's) the character and his humor, Russel acted bullish, there was not much compassion in his play.
He couldn't play Jack O'Neil (with 1 l) less sympathic.

Rick was so different, he made Stargate the way we love it!
They can't ignore so many years of TV-series and start again at Abydos? Abydos was blown up by Anubis, everybody knows ;)
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Agreed again. Kurt Russell had NO sense of humor. His Stargate movie was ok for the first "try" but it was the Television series (as you say - so MANY years of it) that MADE Stargate what it became - a spectacular broadcast with tremendous interaction between RDA, Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, Teryl Rothery, and Don Davis (rest in peace).

But without question, Richard Dean Anderson was THE reason Stargate succeeded as it did. They kept expecting a movie sequel but it never happened because, IMHO, the idiots at MGM just didn't "get it" when it came to the movie package. I know RDA had semi retired - but I think he would have come out of retirement if MGM had made the right offer.....

Maybe millions (we can dream) of RDA fans will complain to the people planning this trilogy and get it dumped in favor of something with RDA in it......if that is at all possible. Don't know if it is or not.

If not, I am just holding out hope that Rick will come back to acting in some kind of starring role in TV or Movie program. He is SUCH A GREAT ACTOR - his talents are sorely missed by this RDA fan at least..... :cry: :cry: :cry:
B
Anne

Post by Anne »

Wow.

MS actually told us about it on FedCon and the audience was pretty reserved about this, but no one came out as aggressively as most of the comments I've read on twitter etc (and here) - and I didn't even read much of them.

Basically I agree. SG-1 is my Stargate and RDA, MS, AT and CJ are SG-1. No one else can ever replace them or play them. I dislike the ST reboot for the very same reasons - Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley are Kirk, Spock and McCoy and no one else, period. I did watch both ST Reboot movies and they left me shuddering with unease and sad and angry because it seemed they kind of 'raped' everything I love about the original ST and the 'new' originals are shallow and copies and nothing more. And not even good copies imho.

That said, however, I can only speak for myself and my personal feelings about this and I can blissfully ignore the new reboot of ST and whoever is happy with them may be happy with them and trek on while I pretend they don't exist. Because, hey, no one is forcing me to acknowledge them or watch them or talk about them etc. It's my choice to just shrug it off and leave them behind - even if it took me a while to get there.

This new Stargate project has barely been announced and there are literally no details out yet as to how it will play out, what's going to happen, in what form they are going to bring it back etc etc - and already fans are running up a storm and getting heart attacks over this - why?

There are a lot of fans of SG-1 who are angry and sad etc etc about this new Stargate that won't have the original cast in it. But there are probably also equally as many fans who have waited for the return of the movie Stargate because they didn't love the series. Why can't they co-exist and just leave each other be? No one is forced to watch this new Stargate and no one is forced to accept it as part of SG-1. But why can't we just sit back and wait and see what's going to happen?

Because I think we have to face the fact that even IF there's going to be another SG-1 movie it won't have RDA in it as a leading role anyway. It will be a Cam Mitchell SG-1 movie with maybe a cameo of Jack, just like Continuum. And we already had that and it didn't really leave me satisfied or happy regarding the Jack O'Neill part. RDA is retired and I'm afraid that, unless he's able to take care of his health issues and really wants to be back into the acting mode, he won't come out to play again for more than a 'hi and bye' part. I'd be the first one to be delighted and excited and HAPPY if I was wrong, but I don't see it happening, sorry.

I wish them luck and success - whether they are going to ignore the series or not - and I'll decide whether or not to watch it when it comes out and I know more about it. I don't need a Jack/Sam happy ending, I don't need a half-baked Jack O'Neill back on screen and I def. don't need another movie featuring the season 9 or 10 SG-1 (as much as I love Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, I really don't want to see another two hours of Mitchell getting beaten up or whatever). So unless they make it a VERY Daniel-centered movie I do not need that SG-1 back either. If I can't have the 'original SG-1' in a movie, then I'm just happy with what I have and read fanfcition.

But again - that's my view on this and I understand that ppl are sad and angry etc. I just think turning this into a fan war on social networks is wrong because I believe that both versions of Stargate have a right to exist and can co-exsist.

My two cents.

I'm stepping off my soap box now :)
darling

Post by darling »

Uh, very special emotions about that news I see...

I can understand that there are many people who are upset with a movie without RDA and all the other well-known members of SG-1. They did an awesome job so that there are thousands of fans all other the world (as you can see here ;) ). The movie wasn't half that popular.. not a bit.

But...

First there was the movie. There wouldn't ever been the series without this tiny little trashy fucking movie. ;)
And I can understand that Roland Emmerich wants to make a new one because he has so much more possibilities to realize this project even better than in the past. Of course he uses the enthusiasm for the series that is still in people's mind. They will remember SG-1 and go to the cinema. That's for sure.
But I think that there is a big difference between the movies and the show as we know it. I think you can't compare these two different medias.

It's a new level of Stargate.
Maybe not a good one. ;)
But we'll see.
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

I saw the news when it first came out, and I remain unimpressed. Emmerich's attitude seems to be "I don't like what they did with MY story, I don't care that it was incredibly successful, ran for years, and has a huge and devoted fanbase -- MY STORY is different and now I will TAKE IT BACK and DO IT RIGHT and everyone will see how awesome I am!"

I've watched other media properties that were made with an attitude of "The fans are WRONG and I will prove it! I will change everything they love and do something completely different and SHOW THEM HOW WRONG THEY ARE BWAHAHA!" The projects tend to fall on their faces. (Stargate Universe, anyone?)

Zlotoff has been trying to do a MacGyver reboot for years, and he can't get the project off the ground. He inserted himself into the comic book project, and it came out generic as hell -- it didn't win any new fans, just had the existing ones shrugging and wishing for RDA. He seems to believe that, as the original creator, he has the ultimate understanding of the character, and his view will trump everyone else's.

Except that he only created the initial idea -- others built it into something immense, with RDA at its heart. That's what's still alive, decades later. That's what has become an image and an idea that is recognized all around the world.

It's the same with Stargate: the story that was built over all the years of the TV shows, by all the people who worked on them, is much, much bigger and deeper and more powerful than the original TV movie, with its sketchy characters and rather dull plot. I found the movie pretty thin stuff compared to the show, and I have no interest in going back to that skimpy version of the fictional universe I've come to love so much.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Anne - thanks for your comments on this subject. They are food for thought. I understand your points. Just count me as an SG1 fan who is still longing for something more in terms of RDA and cast in some form of Stargate mode. He and the cast were just soooooo good, and not Atlantis and not Universe, just SG1 primarily because of Richard Dean Anderson - were absolutely the best. My fandom is not about Stargate as such. It is about the actors in the TV series that made Stargate the blockbuster that it became. I am a fan of Richard Dean Anderson - in all his projects, but especially about his role in Stargate opposite Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Chris Judge and the rest of the cast.

Whenever this new trilogy comes out, it will never be what I have been yearning to see so I will not go to see them unless some miracle happens and the SG1 cast is intertwined in the movies somehow. I doubt that will happen, doubt it can happen, and like you I don't care to see the casts of Atlantis or Universe involved in such movies.

Another thing is that I don't think such a movie trilogy in any way acknowledges the powerful and awesome acting portrayal that RDA gave for 8 years. Somehow, he has been ignored by "the media" and by the major screen companies in ways that I don't think are fair to him or his contribution. Now this snub.

Well, I am still holding out hope that RDA will be able to come out of retirement for some project or other which will highlight his acting skills again. He is too valuable a talent to keep "under wraps" forever.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Darling said:
I can understand that there are many people who are upset with a movie without RDA and all the other well-known members of SG-1. They did an awesome job so that there are thousands of fans all other the world (as you can see here ;) ). The movie wasn't half that popular.. not a bit.
I agree with that statement 100%.

Beth said:
I saw the news when it first came out, and I remain unimpressed. Emmerich's attitude seems to be "I don't like what they did with MY story, I don't care that it was incredibly successful, ran for years, and has a huge and devoted fanbase -- MY STORY is different and now I will TAKE IT BACK and DO IT RIGHT and everyone will see how awesome I am!"
And I agree with that statement also 100%...... THAT is the impression I get for this new trilogy project. :evil:

Thanks for your other comments. They shed a lot of light on the subject.
B