New Stargate Movie Trilogy Planned-but no RDA or AT or MS

Anne

Re: New Stargate Movie Trilogy Planned-but no RDA or AT or M

Post by Anne »

bftlovesRDA wrote:Anne - thanks for your comments on this subject. They are food for thought. I understand your points. Just count me as an SG1 fan who is still longing for something more in terms of RDA and cast in some form of Stargate mode. He and the cast were just soooooo good, and not Atlantis and not Universe, just SG1 primarily because of Richard Dean Anderson - were absolutely the best. My fandom is not about Stargate as such. It is about the actors in the TV series that made Stargate the blockbuster that it became. I am a fan of Richard Dean Anderson - in all his projects, but especially about his role in Stargate opposite Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Chris Judge and the rest of the cast.
I am a fan of RDA with all my heart. I'm also - with all my heart - a fan of MS. I love AT as well, but my main focus is on those two. But, for me, the show was made by SG-1 as a team and not just by RDA or MS or AT or CJ. All of them together had the chemistry that gave the show what it needed and what it made it the big success it became. At least that's my view on it. RDA is great. I love him, he's wonderful as an actor and a person, but he's - in my opinion - not the one who carried the show. Maybe his name did, for a while because he came in already being the star. But the show lives through the whole cast in my opinion.
bftlovesRDA wrote: Whenever this new trilogy comes out, it will never be what I have been yearning to see so I will not go to see them unless some miracle happens and the SG1 cast is intertwined in the movies somehow. I doubt that will happen, doubt it can happen, and like you I don't care to see the casts of Atlantis or Universe involved in such movies.
But that's just my point - no one is forced to watch it or even acknowledge it. But can't we just not tear it apart even before we know any details - and let those who want to enjoy it, enjoy it as much as they want? Opposed to saying; I wish this will flop big time? I dislike ST Reboot with a passion, but it is here and ppl love it and there's nothing I can do about it, so... shrugs.

And if Devlin and Emmerich are sulky and want to ignore SG-1, that's their loss and their issue. I don't like that either, but there are fans who agree with them, I'm sure of that.

Actually I'd watch an SGA movie even though I don't like Rodney, but I like the show and it would have potential for a movie. See, for me the Stargate universe isn't ONLY about one actor or four actors. It's about creativity, characters, stories - and SGA belongs to that as well. SGU is something I could not find into so I would not care much about an SGU movie simply because it is not really connected to SG-1/SGA. But while an SGA movie would never be my first choicie, I'd enjoy watching that, too. :)
Anne

Post by Anne »

MacBeth wrote:It's the same with Stargate: the story that was built over all the years of the TV shows, by all the people who worked on them, is much, much bigger and deeper and more powerful than the original TV movie, with its sketchy characters and rather dull plot. I found the movie pretty thin stuff compared to the show, and I have no interest in going back to that skimpy version of the fictional universe I've come to love so much.
I agree with that, but I still think there is no reason for fans being so hateful. We have our Stargate and if they want to reboot their own, then they shall go ahead and
see where it is going to take them. No one HAS to watch it. I just don't like this turn into some fan-wars on social media because there is no use and no point, imho. I think Emmerich and Devlin have their own fanbase, however small it might be or not be. The announcement has just been made and there are no details whatsoever and no dates and no storyline and no nothing. Who knows how long it will take to get off the ground anyway :)
darling

Post by darling »

Anne wrote:No one HAS to watch it. I just don't like this turn into some fan-wars on social media because there is no use and no point, imho. I think Emmerich and Devlin have their own fanbase, however small it might be or not be. The announcement has just been made and there are no details whatsoever and no dates and no storyline and no nothing. Who knows how long it will take to get off the ground anyway :)
I agree 1000%! ;) That's what I wanted to say. Movies and TV series are two different kinds of media. The movies will have their fans and of course the TV series have their fans. Maybe there are fans of both too. ;) But whoever doesn't want to watch the movie: let it be!
I'm not so sure if I will or won't watch it. Depends on the storyline and what they'll do with it. But I can enjoy a good made action film even if it's theme doesn't fit in my Stargate SG-1 world. Don't beat me for that! ;)
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

Thanks, B!

If there is a Stargate reboot (and there's no guarantee that it will actually be done), I'd be quite happy to be proved utterly wrong. Maybe Emmerich will make something truly wonderful. But I have no basis for believing he will -- quite apart from any personal fannish frothiness I might have in terms of loving the cast of SG-1.

I haven't gone tromping around online denouncing the idea, and I don't plan on doing so. But I am entirely skeptical. I simply don't think the project he's described so far is a promising one.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks for the comments all - that's why this thread was started.

Would love to see what others also think - what are their opinions on the subject. All opinions are valued.
B
Jemster

Post by Jemster »

Personally, I won't go see the movie in the theaters. Maybe watch it on DVD (Redbox is a popular vendor for that here in the western US) but not giving Emmerich and Devlin much of my money (or any) if I can avoid it. I can appreciate their tenacity - they never gave up - but it sounds like it was because of sour grapes. SG-1 was getting all the focus and they (in my opinion only) are sort of riding SG-1's popularity and banking on the fan's being thirsty for anything with the Stargate name on it.

Will be interested to read the reviews when it does come out.

Michelle
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Michelle wrote:
Personally, I won't go see the movie in the theaters. Maybe watch it on DVD (Redbox is a popular vendor for that here in the western US) but not giving Emmerich and Devlin much of my money (or any) if I can avoid it. I can appreciate their tenacity - they never gave up - but it sounds like it was because of sour grapes. SG-1 was getting all the focus and they (in my opinion only) are sort of riding SG-1's popularity and banking on the fan's being thirsty for anything with the Stargate name on it.

Will be interested to read the reviews when it does come out.
Exactly my thought re: why and how they are going to do this "trilogy". I realize they started it all with the original Stargate movie. And they have a right to do whatever they want with it. But they ARE going to be riding on (as you say) SG1's popularity no matter what their finished product turns out to be.
B
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

They are clearly taking advantage of SG1's popularity because the movie wasn't so successfull as SG1, and this isn't exactly fair.
I doubt that they would've had the idea of a trilogy if SG1 never existed, but of course they can do what they want.

I personally don't feel like watching it in theaters, DVD or TV or any other form.

I don't mean to start any fan war, but I seriously doubt that it can be successful simply because usually movies n. 2, 3, 4 etc. aren't as good as the original n. 1.

I might be wrong, but we'll see what happens.
Claudia
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

Well there may be one good thing that comes out of this:

Keith Homel posted in Stargate Chicago Convention 2014-Final Farewell

"Keith Homel 10:17am Jun 8
Adam JUST announced on stage that because of the SG reboot he's going to have a poll at the con as to whether there should be more SG cons!!!!!! Final Farewell? Maybe not so much."

Adam is one of the big shots at Creation Entertainment that does a lot of the SciFi cons. If this reboot helps keep the Stargate con going, I'm all for it. Then maybe one of these days RDA will come to Chicago.
If you can't say anything nice.....

bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Claudia wrote:
They are clearly taking advantage of SG1's popularity because the movie wasn't so successfull as SG1, and this isn't exactly fair.
I doubt that they would've had the idea of a trilogy if SG1 never existed, but of course they can do what they want.

I personally don't feel like watching it in theaters, DVD or TV or any other form.

I don't mean to start any fan war, but I seriously doubt that it can be successful simply because usually movies n. 2, 3, 4 etc. aren't as good as the original n. 1.

I might be wrong, but we'll see what happens.
I am with you, Claudia. Unless by some miracle this "trilogy" involves the SG1 cast, I will not watch it - as you say - either in theaters, DVD, or TV. I hope it flops. I apologize to those who are "Stargate" fans. But I am a Richard Dean Anderson fan through and through and don't care about anything that does not involve him playing a big part in it....and that's just the way I am.
B