Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

User avatar
bftlovesRDA
Posts: 5961
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by bftlovesRDA » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi, JK. Yes, I think we have caught "the love RDA fever"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B

User avatar
JackGywer
Posts: 5316
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:52 pm
Location: Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by JackGywer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:00 pm

bftlovesRDA wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:49 pm
Hi, JK. Yes, I think we have caught "the love RDA fever"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So can the next convention come? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de


I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.


J.K.

User avatar
karinedauphin
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:55 am
Location: Amiens (France)

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by karinedauphin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:19 pm

bftlovesRDA wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:32 pm
So here is Jerseycoconut/Irene in all her NOX costume glory! Isn't she beautiful? What an outstanding costume - she got many compliments on it from fellow convention goers and a few photos of her were taken by them. Well done, Irene!

Image
Great costume, Jersey, you probably had much fun !!!
You look fabulous

User avatar
Jerseycoconut
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:00 pm
Location: NC, USA

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by Jerseycoconut » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:17 am

Thanks for the complements everyone.
Such a good time. Now that I've been thru it, know what to expect!
One after effect, don't want to see anything 'pink' for a while. :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
KateR
Site Admin
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by KateR » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:16 am

bftlovesRDA wrote: I can't wait to see Kate's photos from the Q&A. That will happen later today after she gets home...... :D :D :D
I'm impressed by how fast you think I edit photos.

The photos from the Q&A didn't come out quite as well as I was hoping. I shot in RAW plus the highest resolution JPG, but I didn't have a strong zoom, so the pictures are a little grainy, and surprisingly, after much effort, the JPGs seemed to come out better than the RAW. In any case, I've uploaded what I have. The last picture from Gus is my absolute favorite. :lol:

My trip to Raleigh was a kind of last minute decision. Since it's within driving distance, it was a logical place for us to meet, but I wasn't sure that RDA would have enough free time to get away, so we were playing it by ear.

Saturday was by far the busiest day of the convention. I never heard official numbers, but someone said they thought 100,000 people were there. It wasn't easy to make your way through the crowds, and when I arrived, the line just to get into the building was wrapped around the entire city block. So yes, the lines for RDA and for all the big names were very long. I was surprised by how small the Q&A was, though, and I'm not sure if it was a miscalculation or intentional. It was held in one of those ballrooms that can be divided by room dividers. The panels for people like Wil Wheaton and George Takei and the cast of The Office completely filled the double room (and David Tennant was at capacity with a line waiting outside). But for RDA, they closed off the room divider, so the crowd was about a third of the size that it was for the others. The room was full, but I wonder if people had tried to come in later and couldn't get in. I had a pretty good seat on the aisle and not too far back, but unfortunately I was on the right side, and the line of people with questions was on the left, so he always seemed to be facing away from me. And those who have tried to photograph him before know how much he moves around and how hard it is to get a reasonable focus and shutter speed before he moves again. :roll:

On Sunday, the crowd was much much smaller, and no long line to get in. The autograph lines were shorter, too, and monitored so that he could get an occasional break. I mostly wandered around on my own, attended a few other panels, and wasn't able to find Bettie and Irene until near the end of the day while they were in line for another photo, but at least we had a chance to talk as they waited.

RDA had said earlier that he wanted to meet me for dinner on Saturday after his panel, but he went back to sign more autographs after the panel, so I just waited nearby as he finished up. He needed a few minutes to freshen up, so we met back at his hotel to have dinner at the restaurant there. As he came back down to the lobby, he had just received a text from Amanda Tapping and he was texting her back. It was sweet to see that they do still keep in touch regularly. He passed on my "hello" to her, and later during dinner she texted back sending hugs to both of us.

I was tired, and he was exhausted, but we had a lovely, long dinner with plenty of time to catch up after so many months. By then it was getting quite late. My hotel was several blocks away, and neither of us liked the idea of my walking back late at night alone. The doorman said that it would be difficult to get a taxi so late, and I don't have Uber, but RDA does, so he called an Uber to send me safely back to my hotel.

So it was a lovely weekend and definitely worth the trip. And good news for RDA - although the weather was hot, the humidity was uncharacteristically low, so it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable in that respect as Miami and Knoxville had been. He may rethink summer conventions in the South in the future, though. :D

Kate

ergomac23
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:48 am

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by ergomac23 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:10 am

thank you Kate or the photos and experience :D ......

:lol: :lol: :lol: i think everyone who knows RDA knows he cant sit or stand still very long :lol: :lol: :lol:

it is so cool to hear that he keeps in touch with Amanda and he is so sweet to make sure you got to the hotel safely what a great friend :)

thank you again Kate your hard work is always appreciated :D

User avatar
tvero80
Posts: 3915
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by tvero80 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:08 am

Thank you Kate for your report and photos ! I must admit I didn't know who Gus Allen was …(an actor) .Very funny pic! :D
Image

Veronica LAKings

User avatar
bftlovesRDA
Posts: 5961
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by bftlovesRDA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:16 am

KateR wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:16 am
bftlovesRDA wrote: I can't wait to see Kate's photos from the Q&A. That will happen later today after she gets home...... :D :D :D
I'm impressed by how fast you think I edit photos.

The photos from the Q&A didn't come out quite as well as I was hoping. I shot in RAW plus the highest resolution JPG, but I didn't have a strong zoom, so the pictures are a little grainy, and surprisingly, after much effort, the JPGs seemed to come out better than the RAW. In any case, I've uploaded what I have. The last picture from Gus is my absolute favorite. :lol:

My trip to Raleigh was a kind of last minute decision. Since it's within driving distance, it was a logical place for us to meet, but I wasn't sure that RDA would have enough free time to get away, so we were playing it by ear.

Saturday was by far the busiest day of the convention. I never heard official numbers, but someone said they thought 100,000 people were there. It wasn't easy to make your way through the crowds, and when I arrived, the line just to get into the building was wrapped around the entire city block. So yes, the lines for RDA and for all the big names were very long. I was surprised by how small the Q&A was, though, and I'm not sure if it was a miscalculation or intentional. It was held in one of those ballrooms that can be divided by room dividers. The panels for people like Wil Wheaton and George Takei and the cast of The Office completely filled the double room (and David Tennant was at capacity with a line waiting outside). But for RDA, they closed off the room divider, so the crowd was about a third of the size that it was for the others. The room was full, but I wonder if people had tried to come in later and couldn't get in. I had a pretty good seat on the aisle and not too far back, but unfortunately I was on the right side, and the line of people with questions was on the left, so he always seemed to be facing away from me. And those who have tried to photograph him before know how much he moves around and how hard it is to get a reasonable focus and shutter speed before he moves again. :roll:

On Sunday, the crowd was much much smaller, and no long line to get in. The autograph lines were shorter, too, and monitored so that he could get an occasional break. I mostly wandered around on my own, attended a few other panels, and wasn't able to find Bettie and Irene until near the end of the day while they were in line for another photo, but at least we had a chance to talk as they waited.

RDA had said earlier that he wanted to meet me for dinner on Saturday after his panel, but he went back to sign more autographs after the panel, so I just waited nearby as he finished up. He needed a few minutes to freshen up, so we met back at his hotel to have dinner at the restaurant there. As he came back down to the lobby, he had just received a text from Amanda Tapping and he was texting her back. It was sweet to see that they do still keep in touch regularly. He passed on my "hello" to her, and later during dinner she texted back sending hugs to both of us.

I was tired, and he was exhausted, but we had a lovely, long dinner with plenty of time to catch up after so many months. By then it was getting quite late. My hotel was several blocks away, and neither of us liked the idea of my walking back late at night alone. The doorman said that it would be difficult to get a taxi so late, and I don't have Uber, but RDA does, so he called an Uber to send me safely back to my hotel.

So it was a lovely weekend and definitely worth the trip. And good news for RDA - although the weather was hot, the humidity was uncharacteristically low, so it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable in that respect as Miami and Knoxville had been. He may rethink summer conventions in the South in the future, though. :D

Kate
OH, Kate, what a splendid account of your weekend in Raleigh! Yes, the weather was so much better than it had been a week earlier (85 degrees and low humidity compared to 98 degrees and high humidity) so RDA brought good weather with him to Raleigh.

Saturday was indeed the most crowded. I am sorry you had to stand in that long line to get in. A VIP pass (these had sold out early during the sign up period) or a "fast pass" which I was fortunate enough to get because of my walking disability (which was evident by the use of my walker) got you to the front of these long lines in every event except for the Q&A panel.

I am so glad you got to have dinner with RDA. You were kind not to say it, but RDA told me at the autograph table on Sunday that the service at the Hotel restaurant was "terrible". I was so sorry that was true. Glad you had a good relaxed time to talk, though, and that is so neat about him and Amanda Tapping connecting while he was there. And it was very good that he got a Uber for you to take you safely back to your hotel.

I was so happy that you found me in the photo op line on Saturday and then (after searching all day for us) found Irene and me on Sunday. Thank you for autographing your book alongside RDA's autograph of it.

Your photos of the Q&A are fantastic!!!! Thank you so much for taking them and posting them!!!! Yes he started out standing (and moving around) and you were also able to get some rare shots of when he was actually seated. He was sooooo cute, sweet, and funny at the Q&A (well at all the events). I know he had to be very tired for the Q&a since it was held late on Saturday after the mobs he endured at the Autograph table and in the photo op booth. So, his great positive presence at his panel was even more remarkable.

Well, am very very happy you thought your time in Raleigh was well worth it. I do hope he will come back to Raleigh (despite the heat) - for a chance at a better dining experience and for another chance to meet and greet the throng of loving fans from all over the country who converged on Raleigh to see and be with him. I had several conversations with other fans who were there JUST to see Richard Dean Anderson, no one else at that huge convention. That was the same for Irene and me. And it was well worth it for us too! :D :D :D
B

User avatar
JackGywer
Posts: 5316
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:52 pm
Location: Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by JackGywer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:15 am

KateR wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:16 am



And those who have tried to photograph him before know how much he moves around and how hard it is to get a reasonable focus and shutter speed before he moves again. :roll:

Kate

How true! And special camera settings do not help synonymous. I tried everything. But your photos have become good.

I have to admit, I had to google what "Uber" is. I had never heard it before. Learned something again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
thanks for your detailed report :)

Love the photo with Gus Allen ..... a really good one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de


I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.


J.K.

User avatar
tvero80
Posts: 3915
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Galaxy Con in Raleigh NC July 26-28

Post by tvero80 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:51 am

JackGywer wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:15 am
KateR wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:16 am

And those who have tried to photograph him before know how much he moves around and how hard it is to get a reasonable focus and shutter speed before he moves again. :roll:

Kate
How true! And special camera settings do not help synonymous. I tried everything. But your photos have become good.
Catch me if you can ! That's his motto :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image

Gus Allen did ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image

Veronica LAKings

Post Reply