Post by Irina »

YES, KATE!🌹🌹🌹👏
Screenshot from my smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (mobile version site):

"It's very difficult to say "goodbye" to someone who means so much... "
("To be a Man")
JackGywer

Re: Website Redesign

Post by JackGywer »

Why do I get notifications of responses to my posts here that are more than a month old?
Two answers from you, Kate, that you already gave in August :? :?:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

JackGywer wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:27 am Why do I get notifications of responses to my posts here that are more than a month old?
Two answers from you, Kate, that you already gave in August :? :?:
Oh, sorry. I have been working very hard to get a template working and uploaded, and I'm very near to inviting people to test it out again. But in order to upload it, I had to delete all the previous folders that I had uploaded before with samples. So last night I went back into this thread and changed the links so that they would connect to the new sample and not give an error message for the missing pages. I didn't realize that the board would register it as a "new" post.

In any case, since you asked, the new version of the website that I am trying to create is now here:

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new

I think I have solved most of the problems, except that the Video Gallery is acting strangely on my phone. The caption should disappear after a few seconds so that the video will play (and it does that on my computer), but on my phone the caption remains and blocks the video from playing. :roll: So I'm still working on a solution for that. But if you want to explore and test it out, give it a try. I'll post again when I'm ready to "announce" that it's ready for feedback and recommendations.

Thanks!

Kate
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I've moved this thread from "Off Topic" to "News And Announcements" so it can be spotted by those who don't regularly visit off topic conversations.

And it has now finally reached the point of actually being an "announcement." :) I've just sent out the following email to the Updates mailing list. Now is the time for suggestions, before I start converting a few thousand pages! :shock:
Updates at RDAnderson.com:

RDA has returned from his trip to France. He shared a couple notes while he was there, which I have added to the Updates page, and he has promised to share some photos, which I will add when they arrive. I have also updated the page with photos and a video link from his appearance at the Lyon Game Show.

In the meantime, I have been working to redesign the website. Thanks to the help, suggestions, and feedback I've been getting, I've finally been able to create a template that I think will work. Right now the template is simply a collection of a few dozen partial pages, with only a few active links on each page - just enough to test out the various layouts I will need to complete the site and to make sure they are all working as they should. You'll find the sample template here:

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new/

I invite anyone to check it out and to let me know how it performs on various devices. Once I’m comfortable that all is working properly, I’ll begin the long conversion process.

The most important improvement (besides the fact that the code is no longer obsolete) is that it is now designed to be responsive, meaning that it will automatically resize and rearrange for easy viewing on any device from a large widescreen monitor to a small cell phone. For this reason, guests who typically visit by phone may want to bookmark and use this temporary URL instead as it grows. I intend to keep both the current and the new sites updated until the majority of the site is converted, at which time I'll move the new site to the rdanderson.com address.

Some new/improved features you might like to explore:

The Photo Gallery and Video Gallery are sortable, making it easier to find and enlarge pictures. Only a few sample pictures and videos are available at the moment, but they will be expanded shortly. The Video Gallery has been streamlined to include only mp4 files, and I want to be sure they are accessible to everyone.

The Search feature should still connect to the current site, and the Social Media icons in the footer should be working properly now.

Google Translate has now been added, making it possible to read the site in multiple languages. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the translations, but this may be a helpful feature for many. Please let me know if you would like me to add a language that isn't currently listed.

I will be adding new items to the Store page, but you will already find a link there to purchase MacGyver on Blu-ray from Amazon. (Using ANY link on that Store page to access Amazon and to make a purchase, whether the purchase is ultimately related to RDA or not, will generate a few pennies to help support the expense of maintaining the website - thank you!)

And finally, you should find a little favicon image in your browser tab to identify the site. The rest will follow as I make the final tweaks and work through the conversion.

Thank you for your support!

Kate
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

KateR wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:29 pm I've moved this thread from "Off Topic" to "News And Announcements" so it can be spotted by those who don't regularly visit off topic conversations.

And it has now finally reached the point of actually being an "announcement." :) I've just sent out the following email to the Updates mailing list. Now is the time for suggestions, before I start converting a few thousand pages! :shock:
Updates at RDAnderson.com:

RDA has returned from his trip to France. He shared a couple notes while he was there, which I have added to the Updates page, and he has promised to share some photos, which I will add when they arrive. I have also updated the page with photos and a video link from his appearance at the Lyon Game Show.

In the meantime, I have been working to redesign the website. Thanks to the help, suggestions, and feedback I've been getting, I've finally been able to create a template that I think will work. Right now the template is simply a collection of a few dozen partial pages, with only a few active links on each page - just enough to test out the various layouts I will need to complete the site and to make sure they are all working as they should. You'll find the sample template here:

I invite anyone to check it out and to let me know how it performs on various devices. Once I’m comfortable that all is working properly, I’ll begin the long conversion process.

The most important improvement (besides the fact that the code is no longer obsolete) is that it is now designed to be responsive, meaning that it will automatically resize and rearrange for easy viewing on any device from a large widescreen monitor to a small cell phone. For this reason, guests who typically visit by phone may want to bookmark and use this temporary URL instead as it grows. I intend to keep both the current and the new sites updated until the majority of the site is converted, at which time I'll move the new site to the rdanderson.com address.

Some new/improved features you might like to explore:

The Photo Gallery and Video Gallery are sortable, making it easier to find and enlarge pictures. Only a few sample pictures and videos are available at the moment, but they will be expanded shortly. The Video Gallery has been streamlined to include only mp4 files, and I want to be sure they are accessible to everyone.

The Search feature should still connect to the current site, and the Social Media icons in the footer should be working properly now.

Google Translate has now been added, making it possible to read the site in multiple languages. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the translations, but this may be a helpful feature for many. Please let me know if you would like me to add a language that isn't currently listed.

I will be adding new items to the Store page, but you will already find a link there to purchase MacGyver on Blu-ray from Amazon. (Using ANY link on that Store page to access Amazon and to make a purchase, whether the purchase is ultimately related to RDA or not, will generate a few pennies to help support the expense of maintaining the website - thank you!)

And finally, you should find a little favicon image in your browser tab to identify the site. The rest will follow as I make the final tweaks and work through the conversion.

Thank you for your support!

Kate
I don't have the time to check everything right now . But on my PC , I really like the way the pics of updates appear now and the fact that you can see them all (one after the other ) ...many thanks , Kate !
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

Wouahhh !!! I love the new design. You've made an enormous work Kate !

I don't see all details now, but all I seen until now is very well on my Phone... Photos and texts are big (size), to move pages is fast...

You can take a rest now Kate... Take care..
💕
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Hi Kate. I am sorry, I nearly completely missed the whole redesign thing. And as I don't have any knowledge about programming websites I can't help a bit. Normally I turn on my pc and if it works everything is ok for me....if not I have a HUGE prolem. :oops:

After your last update mail I checked out the new website design on my laptop, my tablet and my cellphone (I have a Samsung Galaxy J7).

So far everything works fine on alle devices except the video gallery on my phone. As you described, the captions stay where they are and even when the video starts it blocks the view from the video.

And I found out that in the menu point "Charity" it is not possible anymore to donate directly to the Challengers Boys and Girls Club. But it seems that this is no problem from your website, it's the decision of the Challengers Club not accepting donations via Network for Good anmore.

But Kate, the new design is amazing and wonderful. I am very happy with the website design as it is, but the new design is even better. I love the way the photo gallery works, going from one picture to the next, even on cellphone and tablet the perfect match for the size of my device. GREAT WORK! You're the best! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

NiLa wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 pm After your last update mail I checked out the new website design on my laptop, my tablet and my cellphone (I have a Samsung Galaxy J7).

So far everything works fine on alle devices except the video gallery on my phone. As you described, the captions stay where they are and even when the video starts it blocks the view from the video.
I have a Samsung Galaxy and it does the same thing for me, too. I don't know if it's strictly a Samsung issue or if it does that on iPhones and other devices too. The problem is that the newest "lightbox" app that makes the pictures enlarge works differently with videos, and there is no way to turn off the autoplay. I find autoplay annoying, but in addition it means it will use up bandwidth on every video, whether you plan to watch it or not. So, I used an older version of the lightbox for now, hoping they will update that feature. Still, the caption is SUPPOSED to disappear, and it does on a computer, so I don't know why it remains on a phone. The only solution I have found so far is to just keep the captions short. But I did also find that if you click the video to play it and THEN turn your phone horizontally, the caption will disappear and the video will open full screen. So I'm sticking with that solution for the time being.

Right now I'm working my way through updating the Filmography, and the goal is to have ALL of the entries linked to a video in the Video Gallery (except for MacGyver and Stargate, which are available to buy, and General Hospital and Emerald Point which will eventually just have a selection of scenes.) So I've been working my way through my old VHS tapes and hoping they all still play.
And I found out that in the menu point "Charity" it is not possible anymore to donate directly to the Challengers Boys and Girls Club. But it seems that this is no problem from your website, it's the decision of the Challengers Club not accepting donations via Network for Good anmore.
Yes, I noticed that too. It would have been their decision, but I'm going to leave the link there in case they change back again. And you can always use the other link to donate directly. What annoys me about that Charity page is that Network For Good relies on Flash, which many browsers won't use by default, so on my browser I have to "OK" Flash every time I go to the page.
But Kate, the new design is amazing and wonderful. I am very happy with the website design as it is, but the new design is even better. I love the way the photo gallery works, going from one picture to the next, even on cellphone and tablet the perfect match for the size of my device. GREAT WORK! You're the best! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you! That's good to know. Little by little I'm working my way through the pages. Filmography and Video Gallery are up next. :)

Kate
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

WOW, I really like the new design and I love the new photo gallery, very clear and quick access from what you are looking for.
Everything works wonderfully on my devices. Good job Kate :D

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

JackGywer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:50 am WOW, I really like the new design and I love the new photo gallery, very clear and quick access from what you are looking for.
Everything works wonderfully on my devices. Good job Kate :D
Indeed . Great job, Kate !