Website Redesign

BarbaraB

Re: Website Redesign

Post by BarbaraB »

Sorry I wasn't able to make the chat last night. But I just want to say that I LOVE the new design and photo gallery. I only use the website on my PC (Chrome browser), and everything looks great. Kate, you have done a remarkable job and I can only imagine how many hours you have been working on it.

Thank you! :D
Barbara
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Sorry I haven't been participating in discussions here lately, but I have been very hard at work on updating the website, beginning with the Filmography and the Video Gallery. There will be a lot to share very soon, but in the meantime, I have hit another snag...

Last night, my Chrome crashed, so I rebooted and went to bed. This morning I logged in again, and my website is not appearing properly. If I shrink it down to "phone size" it is fine, but at full screen, I get only the banner at the top and a screen full of dark blue, then if I scroll down below the blue, the rest of the site appears. It's as if it can no longer read breakpoints. At first I assumed I had done something wrong with my CSS code, but after much trial and error, I discovered that the site is just fine on Firefox - it is apparently strictly a Chrome issue.

So, I uninstalled Chrome, rebooted, and reinstalled Chrome, hoping that would fix it, but it is still exactly the same. WTF???!!

If this is strictly a problem on my computer, then I'll be forced to go back to Firefox, but if this is happening on other people's computers using Chrome at full screen, then I have no idea how to fix it. :( :( :(

Any ideas??

Kate
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

I also use Google chrome and have to tell you the same thing about me. The photo board above, just blue screen underneath and when I scroll down I'll see the rest of the page sometime :( :o :shock: :?

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

I use Microsoft Edge . No problem for me . Nothing has changed .
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

JackGywer wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:54 am I also use Google chrome and have to tell you the same thing about me. The photo board above, just blue screen underneath and when I scroll down I'll see the rest of the page sometime :( :o :shock: :?
Well that sucks.

Yesterday I walked over to our local computer repair shop to ask, and he brought up the website on his computer, using Chrome, and it was fine. So I was convinced that it was just a problem with settings on my computer.

I thought I might have accidentally changed something on the version of the website that is on my hard drive, but the online version has not changed since I uploaded the latest update with RDA's dog pictures, and it was fine then.

If this is a Chrome problem, then there is nothing I can do about it. :( :( :(

Is this happening for everyone else??

Kate
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

I use Google Chrome and everything looks fine on my desktop.
Barbara
DanielMB

Post by DanielMB »

Hi,

I've been helping Kate with issues she comes across while developing the website. I was able to track down the issue, and we do have a fix that will be rolled out. It's specific to Chrome, in particular, with the latest version of Chrome (To the best of our knowledge).

I don't pop into the forum frequently, but figured I'd just post an update for everyone.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

DanielMB wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:47 am Hi,

I've been helping Kate with issues she comes across while developing the website. I was able to track down the issue, and we do have a fix that will be rolled out. It's specific to Chrome, in particular, with the latest version of Chrome (To the best of our knowledge).

I don't pop into the forum frequently, but figured I'd just post an update for everyone.
Yes, many many thanks to Daniel and to Brian, who have helped me break through several brick walls in trying to figure this out. And thank you to the people who try out the pages and respond so that I can find and fix problems before it's too late to do anything about them.

It does seem that when my Chrome crashed, it updated to version 70, which is where the issue was, and which explains why the page worked up until then and still works for people using Chrome 69 and before.

I've made the correction, and I'm just hoping that is the permanent fix and it doesn't create new problems. Of course, who knows what will happen with the next browser update!

Is this working better now? Nothing else funky happening? (I had to force the page to reload, but it's working for me now.)

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new/

Thanks!

Kate
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

KateR wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:13 am

Is this working better now? Nothing else funky happening? (I had to force the page to reload, but it's working for me now.)

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new/

So nothing has changed for me, still the same :? :roll:
Version 70.0.3538.67
google chrome has updated.

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

JackGywer wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:23 am So nothing has changed for me, still the same :? :roll:
Version 70.0.3538.67
google chrome has updated.
You mean it's the same weird blue screen? It did that for me, too, at first. Try holding down "shift" or "control" when you reload the page to force it to clear the cache and refresh. So far the tweak Daniel suggested seems to be working.

I appreciate you letting me know what you are seeing, though! You are the only person to respond who is apparently on Chrome 70 and was getting the weird effect. If I hadn't heard from you, I would have assumed that it was a problem only with my computer, and I would have switched back to Firefox and not tried to find a solution.

Hopefully we're back on track, and I'm back to updating the Filmography and Video Gallery.

Thanks!

Kate