Website Redesign

frenchwriter

Re: Website Redesign

Post by frenchwriter »

KateR wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:29 pm
LOL! I adjusted the size, and it suddenly translated into GERMAN. I wonder how I managed to do THAT?! :shock: ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Kate
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

JackGywer wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 am Yes, that's it ........ and legible. The photo is now a bit blurry, but only by the enlargement in the forum, on the phone, it is completely clear :)
LOL! I adjusted the size, and it suddenly translated into GERMAN. I wonder how I managed to do THAT?! :shock: ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. :D Now I need to figure out how to do text/picture pages like the Lexicon, and the Video Gallery pages...

Kate
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you're always good for a surprise ;)
My browser always translates the page, but usually I turn it off because the translation is confusing :roll:
I did not notice when I did the screenshot :lol:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

JackGywer wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:53 pm
JackGywer wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 am Yes, that's it ........ and legible. The photo is now a bit blurry, but only by the enlargement in the forum, on the phone, it is completely clear :)

Thanks for the feedback. :D Now I need to figure out how to do text/picture pages like the Lexicon, and the Video Gallery pages...

Kate
My browser always translates the page, but usually I turn it off because the translation is confusing :roll:
I was a bit surprised at first and then I thought the Germans must have fixed the problem :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

tvero80 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:17 pm
JackGywer wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Kate
I was a bit surprised at first and then I thought the Germans must have fixed the problem :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure, who else? 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

J.K.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

the site looks fantastic and works perfect on my mobile phone (Samsung).. when I'm home from the campsite I'll check it out on my computer
Lots of love,

Lies

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Okay, a lot more experimenting has been going on. I'm basically learning all this through trial and error, and I have to make sure that I have all the different kinds of pages mapped out before I start because working without frames won't let me tweak individual pages after the fact.

Today's project is figuring out how to enlarge thumbnails on pages like the Updates where it's not technically a gallery and I don't want to have to keep going back and forth to relaod the original page each time an enlargement loads.

So far I have tried just letting the enlarged picture open in a new tab/window, but then you have to close the window or use the back button to go back to the original page. It does seem to load faster, though.

Then there is the "modal" method which darkens the screen and lets the enlargement pop up without making you go back and reload the original page, but I'm not sure if that behaves like a popup, which would be blocked in many browsers.

Finally, I am trying to figure out if the same thing applies to videos, and if I can considerably reduce the size of my site by offering only MP4s without webm, ogg, and flash. As far as I can tell, most people can play MP4s, although they are rather bigger files than the others.

So... Here is the next experimental page:

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new/updates

Four of the images on that page are linked:
Wylie's birthday cake should open in a new tab or window.
The left and right pictures from the hockey game should open in a modal window, using two different javascripts (you can see the difference by the appearance of the caption and "X" to close the window).
And finally, the bottom picture should open and play the video of the Zaxby's commercial, but I am still working on how to turn off the autoplay and fine-tune the volume control. Also, it seems to have a "pause" button, but no "stop" button, which could be bad news for my bandwidth. When I tried it on my phone, the phone kept trying to remind me that I hadn't finished watching it yet!

So do they all seem to work? In a variety of devices? Is one version more preferable than another in certain situations?

Thanks for being my guinea pigs!

Kate
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Just tried it on my Samsung.. everything works perfectly fine.. pics getting larger in different screens like you mentioned..
The mp4 takes a little while to load, but not to long, plays perfect and is easy to quit.. no problems at all here😉
Lots of love,

Lies

bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks for all your work to do the redesign of the website.

It all works well on my Windows 10 PC. Just as you describe. But the video does have a stop button in my version.

Thanks again. Looking forward to the final effort whenever that's done.
B
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

With me it runs optimally on all devices, nothing to complain about :D

J.K.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Okay, here's the next experiment...

Remember when I wondered how I managed to get the website to appear in German? Well, I think I figured out how to do it for real. :D

Still playing around with the same experimental page:

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new/updates

In the upper right hand corner, a box should appear to "Select Language."

It only works when it's actively online, so it's hard for me to test it from my hard drive. At one point it got stuck on Dutch and I couldn't get it back to English! :shock:

I'm not sure if this feature is really necessary, since I suppose most people who don't feel comfortable in English are already viewing the page through Google translate, but it might be a helpful addition for some. I've selected the languages most common to the most frequent visitors, but I can easily change the choices up until the final version of the page is created.

It seems that you have to click your language for every page - it doesn't seem to remain active as you click from page to page. I don't know if that is something I can fix. And I'm not sure how accurate Google Translate is, so it might be a humorous feature for some. :D

Right now the code is very sloppy and I am still testing each feature one at a time. But once I get a sense of how these things work, I'll upload a sample page where the links and features actually work.

And at some point I really should go outside and get some fresh air. ;)

Kate