Thank you, Kate

Grimey

Re: Thank you, Kate

Post by Grimey »

KateR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 pm Thank you, one and all! Very helpful. :)
JackGywer wrote: "Und sie ist meine Frau".........he points to the man next to him.
"And she is my wife", very funny :lol: :lol:
Ah. I thought he was saying "And he is my wife," but google translate kept saying that "sie" is "you," so I thought maybe he was deliberately using the wrong pronoun to make it even more confusing. Does it matter, given the context and the fact that it's supposed to be wrong, if I use "he" or "she" or "you" there?

Thank you so much, everyone! I can get back to the updates now. :)

Kate
We clearly hear: "Sie" ist meine Frau. So it cannot be "he".
"Sie" has two possible translations to English. One is just "she" which is meant in this case.
The other one is like the French "vous". You use it instead of "du" (you) if you are not familiar with the person you talk to.
That's why Google says it means "you".
But if that would be the case, Mac would say: "You is my wife". "She is my wife" makes much more sense, especially because he talks to the Police or soldiers and not to this guy next to him.

Hope I could express what I mean.
Conclusion: Translate it as "She is my wife."
P
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

KateR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 pm
JackGywer wrote: "Und sie ist meine Frau".........he points to the man next to him.
"And she is my wife", very funny :lol: :lol:
Ah. I thought he was saying "And he is my wife," but google translate kept saying that "sie" is "you," so I thought maybe he was deliberately using the wrong pronoun to make it even more confusing. Does it matter, given the context and the fact that it's supposed to be wrong, if I use "he" or "she" or "you" there?

In German we use two different forms of address, once the "DU" (you), for people we know well and for people we do not know well or not at all, we address them as "SIE".
It is in this case a formal address for persons and not a gender-defining form.
However, the translator does not take that into account because "SIE"(as a form of address) does not exist in the English language, so the translated sentence does not really work.
The translator translates "SIE" as "she", which is not true in the context!
The German language is a little complicated :roll:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

KateR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 pm

It sounds like he was going for applesauce or apple juice, which wouldn't make sense anyway, so I may just leave it as appelsuss. After all, he is throwing in English words there, too, so none of it is really meant to be real German. (When someone mixes together English and French, we call it "Franglais." When someone mixes together English and Spanish, we call it "Spanglish." What does one call it when one completely mangles English and German? :lol: )

I call the combination of English and German "Nicklish",
because my son is called "Nick" and the English language is very difficult for him.
He speaks absolute gibberish from both languages ​​and still believes it is correct :shock: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Thank you for the clarification of German! I understand the difference between "tu" and "vous" in French, so I understand what you mean about the two forms of "you" in German. But I'll stick to "She is my wife" for now - and the expression on Jaeger's face will add all the context you need. :lol: :lol:
JackGywer wrote: I call the combination of English and German "Nicklish",
because my son is called "Nick" and the English language is very difficult for him.
He speaks absolute gibberish from both languages ​​and still believes it is correct :shock: :roll:
He and MacGyver would probably understand each other perfectly! :lol: :lol:

Incidentally, we had the earlier discussion about the translation of "Esel" and then just a bit later in the same episode Viktoria calls MacGyver a "bolvan." Of course the context is pretty clear, but I wasn't sure if google translate would work for that since actual Russian would use the Cyrillic alphabet. But I remember a tiny bit of my two years of Russian in high school, and I still have my Russian/English dictionary, so I was able to look it up and find the proper spelling and definition. The dictionary translates болван as dolt, blockhead, and jackass. Apparently a synonym for Esel.

So now I know how to insult people in two new languages. ;) :lol:

Kate, who is about to document the recipe for making nylon...
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Just one correction about my thought there couldn't exist a power steering:
The Volvo from Sweden had one, as Juliette told us.
My husband and me did some research: For the GDR "Volkspolizei" they usually used Eastern products like Lada, Wartburg, GAZ, of course. But even those had power steering very early because they were so heavy, said my husband! :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't mind that they were green-white and never black. But this colour scheme was obviously successful for Bannister to get to Mac. :mrgreen:

Also the soldiers' cars and the whole frontier is far away from reality, but that's no problem. This was not meant as a historical work.
But here: A big bug for your collection, Kate:
The signboard at the small grey frontier house you see when Mac and Bannister managed to cross the border and the camera looks back again.
The signboard says "SIE BETRETEN DEUTSCHE BUNDESREPUBLIK" (sorry, cannot post screenshots).
This means: You enter Western Germany.
Either they got confused on set where to put this sign, or they installed the frontier houses the wrong way :lol: :lol:
P
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Grimey wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:37 am Just one correction about my thought there couldn't exist a power steering:
The Volvo from Sweden had one, as Juliette told us.
My husband and me did some research: For the GDR "Volkspolizei" they usually used Eastern products like Lada, Wartburg, GAZ, of course. But even those had power steering very early because they were so heavy, said my husband! :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't mind that they were green-white and never black. But this colour scheme was obviously successful for Bannister to get to Mac. :mrgreen:

Also the soldiers' cars and the whole frontier is far away from reality, but that's no problem. This was not meant as a historical work.
But here: A big bug for your collection, Kate:
The signboard at the small grey frontier house you see when Mac and Bannister managed to cross the border and the camera looks back again.
The signboard says "SIE BETRETEN DEUTSCHE BUNDESREPUBLIK" (sorry, cannot post screenshots).
This means: You enter Western Germany.
Either they got confused on set where to put this sign, or they installed the frontier houses the wrong way :lol: :lol:
Yup your husband is right! Haha

Oh indeed that is a flaw :lol:

On thing I wanted to add, I found Denglish for the name of the mix of German and English (Deutsch and English) ;)
Firefly74

Post by Firefly74 »

When I was living in London, I was talking a lot of Denglish with my next door neighbour, who was originally from Germany, too.
We even called it Denglish back then (17 years ago).
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Kate, I LOOOOVE the MacGyver Lexicon... Thank you SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!!
Lots of love,

Lies

Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Yes, Kate,

Thank you for the Mac Lexicon. :D
Will get into it next week vacationing. :)

Thanks again for all your hard work! ;)

Jerseycoconut :)
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Jerseycoconut wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 pm Yes, Kate,

Thank you for the Mac Lexicon. :D
Will get into it next week vacationing. :)

Thanks again for all your hard work! ;)

Jerseycoconut :)
Kate,
Visited 'Special Features' On The Set of MacGyver

Thank you for your hard work in bringing this to us. :D
It is so well written thought I spent the day in Hollywood with Mac and the crew!
The detail that went into all aspects of your work was like the experience of being there filming.
How wonderful!
Jerseycoconut :D