Thank you, Kate

LadyPhoenixx

Re: Thank you, Kate

Post by LadyPhoenixx »

Per Mr. Anderson's last update, I don't care what kind of spider it is, just keep it away! :o :shock:
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

B could be right when she mentioned an Araneus diadematus .
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Kate,

Hello, Would it be possible to get an image of the underbelly of the spider?!
We love the challenge!

Jerseycoconut
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Or an Araneus quadratus maybe ?
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

GWhite wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:00 pm My friend is pouring through his reference materials, including BugGuide. He can post it on the BugGuide site, but I asked him not to, since Rick didn’t indicate it was ok to spread the pic all over creation, so to speak. High says he could probably find out exactly what it is today, if he could post it to the site, otherwise will take a few days.

He also said “Wow! Outstanding pic for identification purposes! You just never see them that good “

Thought I’d pass that pat in the back in to Rick, too, if he happens to look in here.
To Gwhite - hope your friend has an opinion on what kind of spider Rick found. Please post his guess when you can. Thanks.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

tvero80 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:25 pm Image

Or an Araneus quadratus maybe ?
That picture looks very much like Rick's spider, V. Could be it. Do you know the "common name" for that type of spider?
B
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

A four spot orb weaver… it looks like it but they say it lives in Europe and Asia … the diadematus may be found in the USA .
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

They are probably first cousins..... :D :D :D
B
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

To bftlovesRDA

“To Gwhite - hope your friend has an opinion on what kind of spider Rick found. Please post his guess when you can. Thanks.”

My friend was traveling yesterday, so I caught him on the road. He assured me he will let us know as soon as he has a few moments to do some digging. He’s never let me down, and I’ll share what he finds as soon as he gets it to me.

He and his wife have a new daughter. He slips her in a backpack carrier and goes for walks in the woods, keeping an eye out for interesting spiders. He posts pics on FB several times a week, so this is right up jus alley.

Rick’s great pic really caught his attention.
Beata

Post by Beata »

So sorry to hear Rick is under the weather with the sniffles. Drink plenty of tea and fluids to stay hydrated.

and rest in bed preferably indoors. Take care. :(

Beata
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver