Thank you, Kate

KateR
Site Admin

Re: Thank you, Kate

Post by KateR »

Okay, I'm looking for help again since I know relatively little about cars, and even less about the German language...

I'm working on The Enemy Within now (the MacGyver one, not the Stargate one).

In the opening scene when he is riding the hood of the car to repair the brakes, he says that he thinks he can pump the power steering fluid into the empty brake cylinder. Then he tugs on a couple of hoses that have a reddish fluid, and he finally pulls another hose and fills the cylinder with clear fluid. My GUESS is that the power steering fluid or the brake fluid should have been colored, and that he wasn't successful in getting that hose to connect, so instead he used the clear fluid, which I'm thinking must be water/coolant from the radiator. It made sense to me that you can't go far with no coolant, so I figured that was why he asked how much farther before pulling the hose. But am I completely off? Exactly what fluid was he pumping into the brake cylinder?

Now, about his broken and very deliberately humorous attempt at German... (I've heard fans ridicule RDA for his very bad German, but the whole point of the scene was to confuse and distract the German officers, not to try to communicate with them, so he was intentionally making no sense.) But what, exactly, was he saying?

Here is what the closed captions say:
Esel! Ich bin ein Soviet officer. Und wir muss gehen zu dem Hause, bitte, fur es gehe eine Freunde sind there in the appelsuss...or in der Flugplatz. Une Sie is meinen Frau.

Which Google translates as:
Ass! I am a Soviet officer. And we have to go to the house, please, for one go friends are there in the appelsuss ...or in the airfield. And you is my wife.

Would any German speakers like to weigh in with any corrections?

Thanks! :)

Kate
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

KateR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 am

Esel! Ich bin ein Soviet officer. Und wir muss gehen zu dem Hause, bitte, fur es gehe eine Freunde sind there in the appelsuss...or in der Flugplatz. if that does not work with the house, then alternatively to the airfield

Ass! I am a Soviet officer. And we have to go to the house, please, for one go friends are there in the appelsuss ...or in the airfield. And you is my wife.

Okay, really funny scene and it does not really make sense.

The first part is clear, it means something like" Idiot, I'm a Soviet officer." Then it makes no sense ........ he says "We have to go to the house, please, for one go friends are there in the appelsuss.
The last part of this sentence makes no sense!

He says they have to go to the house,please......... so much is still understandable, then it gets crazy. "für es gehe eine Freund".......
"to a friend" maybe meant? ......."in the appelsuss"..... The word does not exist, in German. In Dutch, there is a similar word, it means applesauce (Appelsaus).
Or it is meant apple juice! (At least it sounds very much like that), but that does not make any sense. "Or in der Flugplatz", if that does not work with the house, then alternatively to the airfield?....LOL. I don't know.........

"Und sie ist meine Frau".........he points to the man next to him.
"And she is my wife", very funny :lol: :lol:

Think it all just makes for confusion. While the guys think about what he said, he can already act ;)

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Anne

Post by Anne »

KateR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 am Okay, I'm looking for help again since I know relatively

Now, about his broken and very deliberately humorous attempt at German... (I've heard fans ridicule RDA for his very bad German, but the whole point of the scene was to confuse and distract the German officers, not to try to communicate with them, so he was intentionally making no sense.) But what, exactly, was he saying?

Esel! Ich bin ein Soviet officer. Und wir muss gehen zu dem Hause, bitte, fur es gehe eine Freunde sind there in the appelsuss...or in der Flugplatz. Une Sie is meinen Frau.

Kate
😀 The translation isn't too bad, but "Esel" means "donkey" I'd translate it with "Idiot". "I'm a soviet officer and we have to go to the house, please, for one of our friends is there in the applesuss (I have no clue what that means😯) or at the airfield. And she is my wife."

Was there an orchard with apple trees where they were? I can't remember, maybe someone else can fill in that blank. I think that Mac's attempts at German were aleays cute😘
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

As far as I can remember, they were somewhere in the middle of the woods.

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Now about the fluids in the car.
Sorry, but I cannot believe they had any power steering at all, even if Mac is talking about it.
I mean, we talk about 80ies in GDR!
I will ask my husband and post later.
P
Irina

Post by Irina »

KateR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 am In the opening scene when he is riding the hood of the car to repair the brakes, he says that he thinks he can pump the power steering fluid into the empty brake cylinder. Then he tugs on a couple of hoses that have a reddish fluid, and he finally pulls another hose and fills the cylinder with clear fluid. My GUESS is that the power steering fluid or the brake fluid should have been colored, and that he wasn't successful in getting that hose to connect, so instead he used the clear fluid, which I'm thinking must be water/coolant from the radiator. It made sense to me that you can't go far with no coolant, so I figured that was why he asked how much farther before pulling the hose. But am I completely off? Exactly what fluid was he pumping into the brake cylinder?
Initially, MacGyver wanted to use the power steering fluid. But after, it looks like the fact that Mac used the coolant. But then why it is clean? It should have color ... it turns out that in the radiator originally was used plain water. But also in this case, it does not would be transparent, rather dirty ... Or this car was not used before? :?
The distance to the border was about 3 km. They could reach it without a cooling liquid.
"It's very difficult to say "goodbye" to someone who means so much... "
("To be a Man")
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

KateR wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 am Okay, I'm looking for help again since I know relatively little about cars, and even less about the German language...

I'm working on The Enemy Within now (the MacGyver one, not the Stargate one).

In the opening scene when he is riding the hood of the car to repair the brakes, he says that he thinks he can pump the power steering fluid into the empty brake cylinder. Then he tugs on a couple of hoses that have a reddish fluid, and he finally pulls another hose and fills the cylinder with clear fluid. My GUESS is that the power steering fluid or the brake fluid should have been colored, and that he wasn't successful in getting that hose to connect, so instead he used the clear fluid, which I'm thinking must be water/coolant from the radiator. It made sense to me that you can't go far with no coolant, so I figured that was why he asked how much farther before pulling the hose. But am I completely off? Exactly what fluid was he pumping into the brake cylinder?

Kate
Nope he uses the power steering fluid.
I did some research and the car is a 1970 Volvo 164. I compared the scene with a technical description of the engine compartment and it matches.
15 is the brake fluid container, so it matches the empty container in the scene
23 is the steering box, which contains the power steering fluid (and we can clealy see he takes the hose from there)
and 24 is the cooling system tank, which is way too far to reach the brake fluid container. Plus, the coolant has no hose, it goes directly into the radiator (number 1 on the pic)

When we see Mac do 'I don't know what' with the brake fluid hose (red fluid here), he probably just tries to stop the leak.

The colors of the fluids are not enough indication, since the color depends on the brand and the time spent in the system (it darkens with time since it gets more and more dirty)
Since the power steering fluid is like water, it is a non colored fluid and has been changed right before the scene Haha
I think they actually used water for shooting and not to waste oil. It doesn't look oily enough to me.. the probably colored red the water 'playing the role of' the brake fluid and let clean water for the steering fluid.

Hope this helps ;)
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Great research, Juliette!
My son said spontaneously: "If you put water into the brake system, it will collapse!"
Research did confirm this. Water would try to evaporate because it gets hot and this pressure of the steam would burst the system.
P
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Grimey wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm Great research, Juliette!
My son said spontaneously: "If you put water into the brake system, it will collapse!"
Research did confirm this. Water would try to evaporate because it gets hot and this pressure of the steam would burst the system.

Yes with water it would never work (they used it for filming (at least it looks like it) but we're not supposed to know ^^)

There used to be water a long time ago in the radiators only but now they found more efficient products.
In the other parts of the engine, it's always some kind of oily product adapted to the conditions :)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Thank you, one and all! Very helpful. :)
JackGywer wrote: Okay, really funny scene and it does not really make sense.

..."in the appelsuss"..... The word does not exist, in German. In Dutch, there is a similar word, it means applesauce (Appelsaus).
Or it is meant apple juice! (At least it sounds very much like that), but that does not make any sense.
It sounds like he was going for applesauce or apple juice, which wouldn't make sense anyway, so I may just leave it as appelsuss. After all, he is throwing in English words there, too, so none of it is really meant to be real German. (When someone mixes together English and French, we call it "Franglais." When someone mixes together English and Spanish, we call it "Spanglish." What does one call it when one completely mangles English and German? :lol: )
JackGywer wrote: "Und sie ist meine Frau".........he points to the man next to him.
"And she is my wife", very funny :lol: :lol:
Ah. I thought he was saying "And he is my wife," but google translate kept saying that "sie" is "you," so I thought maybe he was deliberately using the wrong pronoun to make it even more confusing. Does it matter, given the context and the fact that it's supposed to be wrong, if I use "he" or "she" or "you" there?
Anne wrote: 😀 The translation isn't too bad, but "Esel" means "donkey" I'd translate it with "Idiot".
Actually, in English, the word "ass" is also a synonym for "donkey," although it is rarely used that way anymore except for biblical references. Most often it is a less polite description of the backside of one's anatomy, or an even less polite insult of stupidity. So I guess the translation is a good one! But I'll be a bit more delicate and use the word "idiot." Thanks. :)
Grimey wrote: Now about the fluids in the car.
Sorry, but I cannot believe they had any power steering at all, even if Mac is talking about it.
I mean, we talk about 80ies in GDR!
LOL! :lol: :lol:

It would have been a funny scene if Mac had climbed on the hood of the car only to discover that "cars in the GDR don't have power steering - time for Plan B"! ;)

But clearly we have learned that not only did East German police cars have power steering, they were exceptionally well maintained and their power steering fluid was as clear as water! ;) ;)
Juliette wrote: Nope he uses the power steering fluid.
I did some research and the car is a 1970 Volvo 164. I compared the scene with a technical description of the engine compartment and it matches.

...Plus, the coolant has no hose, it goes directly into the radiator
Ah, yes, that makes sense. I did wonder, because I always thought one added coolant directly to the radiator, and not into a tank or container that would have hoses, but then, I figured there is a lot I don't know about cars.

I'm thinking now that when he grabs the first hose that has been damaged, it is leaking the red brake fluid. So he tries to connect the severed hose directly to the power steering box to feed the steering fluid in, but he cannot get them to connect. So when I thought he was going for Plan B, he was in fact just reversing the procedure - instead of connecting the brake hose to the steering fluid, he grabbed the steering fluid hose and brought it to the brake cylinder. And when he asked how far they had to go, he was not concerned about the car overheating, but rather about whether Bannister was going to be able to steer the speeding car without throwing him off the hood. :lol: :lol:

Thank you so much, everyone! I can get back to the updates now. :)

Kate