Lyon Game Show - September 2018

KateR
Site Admin

Re: Lyon Game Show - September 2018

Post by KateR »

Let me see if I can summarize...

RDA has had a number of accounts on social media - some allow public access, some do not. It began many years ago when a friend encouraged him to open a Facebook account so that they could share photos between them. But a fan found it, and posted it, and he started to get lots of follower requests, until he finally stopped using it and eventually shut it down. And then, of course, there was the unfortunate incident with the RDA imposter on Facebook that eventually led to his lawyers getting involved to shut it down, and which left a bad taste in his mouth.

Several years later, Wylie encouraged him to open a Twitter account. He did, and he intended it to be public, so I posted the information here on the site. (Actually it was Wylie who wrote to ask me to post it!) And for a time he enjoyed the novelty of posting to the general public. But the idea of maintaining a running social commentary with strangers never really appealed to him, and he eventually lost interest. When he says he "doesn't understand" Twitter, he doesn't mean that he can't figure out how to use it, he means that he doesn't really see the point.

What he has enjoyed doing is sharing photos, and so Wylie introduced him to Instagram. Again, he enjoyed sharing photos with family and friends, although many of the photos were dark in tone and often personal. Again the word got out, and he said his phone was constantly pinging with new followers and comments, which he wasn't reading anyway. He stopped posting, and a few months back he asked Wylie to change the settings to block comments from anyone who was not family or friend. He hasn't posted there since, although he does apparently still use the account to follow and to comment to people he knows.

He said that while he was in France, he was trying to update the account and to send congratulations to a friend who had just become a grandmother. Hence the "grandmother" theme of the picture, I suppose, but I'm not sure if he even realized it was posting publicly. He may have thought it would go only to her. I asked him if he meant it to be shared (which I would have done), but he said no.

The issue is not so much whether the picture should be public. The issue is that once it is, the natural question is "where did it come from," which then leads to the spreading of his account information, which leads to a jump in followers who feel they can communicate with him directly, and which eventually makes it less likely that he will keep the account active. Of course, now that this discussion is happening, I'm sure there will be a flood of fans seeking the various accounts that he still has access to. :roll:

RDA has said often enough that he values his privacy. He lives his life surrounded by friends and family. I know fans WANT him to be the sort of person who interacts with them regularly on social media, and they feel he SHOULD be more active, but that is just not his nature. Even trying to get him to send a message that can be posted here on the site can prove to be a challenge.

I know that fans elsewhere have managed to track down his home address and have gleefully shared it publicly. Others have determined his personal email address and passed it on (which he has now changed). He has reported getting emails from strangers, and packages delivered to his door, but he has never opened them. This sort of personal information I would absolutely remove from a forum like this one. Thankfully it's only happened once or twice, and I imagine those fans moved on to seek their personal details somewhere else. Pictures such as the one posted yesterday I have never forbidden. (It was public after all, and Irina, no one is blaming you.) But I cringe each time I know that overly enthusiatic fans who want to be a part of his personal life are more likely to simply drive him back into his private realm.

This isn't meant to be a warning or caution - merely an explanation of why I have or have not posted certain information here, and why fans who choose to post it elsewhere may actually be pushing him farther away.

Thanks for understanding.

Kate
Anne

Post by Anne »

Thanks, Kate, it pretty much confirms what I was thinking and what I was trying to get across to that person on twitter two days ago. 😘

We don't want to scare him away, but I guess there's always someone in the crowd...
Beata

Post by Beata »

Thanks Kate for your explanation for what happened with the photo and other incidences. It makes me sad to hear that RDA had to endure so much disrespect from people that claim to be fans, especially revealing his home address, etc. I hope he remembers that there are more of us who would never do anything to upset him, most just love him, enjoy his humor, and his presence at conventions. He really gives to the fans and deserves the best treatment we can give him is to respect his privacy.

Beata
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Found the q&a panel .

https://youtu.be/ZrFZRZJ7bGc
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

tvero80 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:34 pm Found the q&a panel .

Thank you tvhero80 for the link!

If you wanna see me, just watch the video 😂 (tall blonde in the front :lol: )
I even get a wink at 46' after the Legend reference, I was the only one to applaud :lol:

Such great memories of that day! Best day of my life to be honest 😍
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Juliette wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:45 am
tvero80 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:34 pm Found the q&a panel .

Thank you tvhero80 for the link!
'Tvhero', Juliette ? :lol: :lol: :lol: No, I'm not MacGyver :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad you had a great time !
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

tvero80 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:38 pm
Juliette wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:45 am Thank you tvhero80 for the link!
'Tvhero', Juliette ? :lol: :lol: :lol: No, I'm not MacGyver :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad you had a great time !
Bwahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: My brain must have made a shortcut!! :lol: I didn't even notice it when I wrote it.. :roll: ;)
Yes I definitely had the best time ever :)
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

For some obscure reason the link to the panel has changed . Here's the new one :

https://youtu.be/FhQ0ruR4SO4
lesliekretchmar

Post by lesliekretchmar »

I just watched the panel at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dbi_dJ7d2A
ImageWith a little imagination, anything is possible"
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

Hi all,

I was in LGS last Saturday, it was a marvelous day with our adorable Richard. lots of stars in our eyes when he talks with their fans...
Fabulous undying memories again... :oops: :oops:

True to my passion for writing, I wrote a little article on my blog, about this wonderful day of 22/09 at LGS.
Here is the link if some of you want to read it.
But it is in French of course ...
Thank you...

https://www.desmotspour1don.com/effeuil ... n-lyonnais