Gatecon: The Homecoming

KateR
Site Admin

Gatecon: The Homecoming

Post by KateR »

Here's the thread to talk about Gatecon: The Homecoming - September 8-12, 2016 in Vancouver. It's still a year away, but I imagine there will be plenty to talk about. :)

Gatecon is one of the smaller, more intimate fan-run cons. Their first was in 2000, and because it took place in Vancouver while Stargate was being shot, all manner of stars, guest stars, writers, producers, and crew would be known to stop by, whether they were on the schedule or not, because it was a celebration in their home town.

They moved away from Vancouver after a time, but I suspect this "Homecoming" will bring back lots of memories. :D

Kate
tvero80

Re: Gatecon: The Homecoming

Post by tvero80 »

September ? :( I won't be there .I'll be back to work.What a pity !
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

This is terrific. I was hoping to get back to Vancouver next year.... now I really have the incentive to do so..
If you can't say anything nice.....

tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

:( :( :( :( :( :( I guess I'd better leave now rather than be tempted by things I'll never be able to do :( :( :( :( :( :(
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

I'm glad to read it.
One year to organize the trip. I think it will possible to me!!!
I want to go there ABSOLUTELY! :o :D
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

Wow! :D :D :D :D :D I was just waiting for this to plan a week in Vancouver.

Now all I have to do is ask my boss for days off from work. :o Hoping... :)
Claudia
Babancat

Post by Babancat »

Another one here who won't be able to go :( Children will be back at school, so my place is here with them.
I'm very sad as Gatecon 2008 was my first ever convention and I then missed Gatecon 2010 when my husband was hit by an SUV when crossing the road :shock: .
Oh well, fingers crossed it won't be my last chance to see them all together.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Babancat wrote:Another one here who won't be able to go :( Children will be back at school, so my place is here with them.
I'm very sad as Gatecon 2008 was my first ever convention and I then missed Gatecon 2010 when my husband was hit by an SUV when crossing the road :shock: .
Oh well, fingers crossed it won't be my last chance to see them all together.
I know the feeling :( I sympathize, Babancat.I have decided to ask my boss if somehow...but I guess he won't agree unfortunately.However, if RDA knew what we/I were/was ready to do/ask to meet him...(nothing inappropriate of course).

PLEASE COME TO FRANCE (not too far from the North please=personal message, I don't live in the south!!! there's nature there, birds,seals...)
Firefly74

Post by Firefly74 »

Well, now I know where I'm spending my holidays next year! :D
So nice to go back to Vancouver for a con.
It'll feel like MTM and Fedcon 2014 mixed up together, with Michael and Amanda there, too.
Maybe I'll finally find the courage to talk to you, KateR. ;)
(I'm just assuming you'll be there.)
Sandra
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Firefly74 wrote:Maybe I'll finally find the courage to talk to you, KateR. ;)
(I'm just assuming you'll be there.)
Yes, this one I will go to. :)

I went to the very first Gatecon in 2000. It was my first convention ever, so I didn't have much to compare it to. It was a learning experience for the organizers, too, and lots of things went wrong, but it had a very close, family feel to it, mostly because we had all gotten to know each other online first, and it had strong support from the studio and the people behind Stargate.

The following year, Gatecon was about two weeks after 9-11, and my strongest memory of that event was that airports were still shut down around the world and the fans were literally talking each other into the city by going online and posting messages like, "I'm in Paris, but if you can get here in the next hour, there is a train to Amsterdam, and from there you can get a flight to London that will connect with a flight to Dublin that can get you into Vancouver." There was such a sense of unity when we all finally made it into Vancouver that year.

And each year since, Gatecon has felt more like a family reunion than a convention. I think I went to all the Gatecons that were in Vancouver - I couldn't work out trips to the ones that were held elsewhere - but returning to the original hotel 15 years later will indeed feel like a homecoming. I've been to only a couple of the big conventions that RDA is doing now, and tens of thousands of people standing in lines in an enormous hall just doesn't have the same feeling. (Although a funny story from Gatecon one year: We were all so used to being told to stand "against the wall" and to line up so as not to cause congestion in the hallways of the hotel that one day my friends and I were having a conversation, standing in a little cluster against the wall, and another group of fans simply lined up behind us. They assumed we must be in line for something! :lol: )

Besides, I love Vancouver and any excuse to go back, so I'll probably extend my stay and make a vacation of it.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the guest lineup. Gatecon has a really good relationship with the people involved in the show, so I'm crossing my fingers that they can get Christopher Judge and make the original foursome complete.

This is a convention I'm actually looking forward to. :)

Kate