Website Redesign

Monika
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm
Location: at Stralsund/ Northern Germany

Re: Website Redesign : poll ?

Post by Monika » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:17 pm

karinedauphin wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm
KateR wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm


(BTW, I still can't get the videos to load properly on my phone. Is that a problem for others? If the "Close Video" button is showing up on the left instead of the right, then the page is not loading the CSS script, but it loads properly on a computer and I don't know how to force a refresh. :roll: )

Kate
Good evening Kate ( and the others)
As requested, i tried to watch the videos on my phone. I have to confess... i never tried it before now... i have a computer and a touch pad, that is enough to enjoy from the website. Anyway, i tried. I have a samsung one. And i tried several videos with several times, short and long ones. I tried fast forward, etc... close videos. And for me it is working

Thanks a lot, Kate

Have a nice day or evening
Best regards

Hello Kate,
Thanks for your great job. :D
Also on my "simple" smartphone (no Name product with Android) all videos are played without problems.
Thank you for your many work and effort.

From Monika with love!

User avatar
JackGywer
Posts: 5217
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:52 pm
Location: Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Website Redesign

Post by JackGywer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 am

Also on my smartphone, the videos run smoothly :D
Image

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de


I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.


J.K.

User avatar
NiLa
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:21 am
Location: Hesse, near Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Website Redesign

Post by NiLa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi,

first of all I want to thank you, Kate, for your affords and hard work and your time to keep this site running.

I tried the video gallery tonight on my phone (Samsung galaxy J7) and on my laptop. On both devices the videos didn't work properly.
They played 2 or 3 seconds, stopped, loaded, played again a few seconds and so on.

I tried to select them, so that not all the videos had to be loaded, but it didn't work either. :(

I will try tomorrow again, maybe it's just much traffic here tonight.

I will keep you posted.

You told us, that you get small funds if we buy something on Amazon, if we visit Amazon via your site. Is this only for Amazon in the US or also Amazon in other countries?

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)

User avatar
KateR
Site Admin
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Website Redesign

Post by KateR » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:48 pm

NiLa wrote: I tried the video gallery tonight on my phone (Samsung galaxy J7) and on my laptop. On both devices the videos didn't work properly.
They played 2 or 3 seconds, stopped, loaded, played again a few seconds and so on.

I tried to select them, so that not all the videos had to be loaded, but it didn't work either. :(

I will try tomorrow again, maybe it's just much traffic here tonight.

I will keep you posted.
Hmmm... Thank you for the feedback, but I don't know if I have a solution for that. Are you sure that the NEW page is loading? (Right now the video choices only go up to "Breakfast" from 2014 - I'm still working on reformatting the others, and a new page opens when you click the link, instead of the video "popping out" and opening on top of the current page.)

This is the way the videos behaved before I changed the page, so I'm hoping that there will be a difference in the way they load now. I've noticed that when my own wifi signal or home ISP is slow, the whole page is slow, and as I mentioned before, I couldn't get my phone to refresh the page and for weeks I was getting a really weird effect where the video image was too big for the page and spilled out over the margins, and the gray "Close Video" button was on the left instead of the right. Then a few days ago, my phone operating system did a standard update, and it must have wiped out the cache, because now, even though I didn't change anything on the website, the pages now load properly on my phone.

It's so difficult to figure out just WHERE the problem really is! That's why I rely so much on feedback, because there is no way for me to guess how things are appearing on every device.
You told us, that you get small funds if we buy something on Amazon, if we visit Amazon via your site. Is this only for Amazon in the US or also Amazon in other countries?
I have set up accounts with Amazon.com in the US and Amazon.uk in the UK, so those are both options. I haven't set up accounts with other countries like Canada or Germany or France. I'm sorry! For the longest time, so much money was collected in foreign transaction fees that it almost wasn't worth it including the UK site, but recently that has improved so that the few dollars in commission that I receive is actually more than the fees for a change!

Thanks for all of your support!

Kate

User avatar
NiLa
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:21 am
Location: Hesse, near Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Website Redesign

Post by NiLa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi Kate,

I tried again, with 2 devices, I used microsoft edge and google chrome with the same negative results. I reloaded the new page

The videos don't work. Same problems, the don't load properly and stop every few seconds. :(

I don't know why...

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)

User avatar
KateR
Site Admin
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Website Redesign

Post by KateR » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm

NiLa wrote: I tried again, with 2 devices, I used microsoft edge and google chrome with the same negative results. I reloaded the new page

The videos don't work. Same problems, the don't load properly and stop every few seconds. :(

I don't know why...
I'm so sorry, Anja, but I don't know why either!

All of the videos have now been uploaded to the fast server (and so far I am not getting dangerously close to my bandwidth limits), and each video should load individually without waiting for the "previews" of the other videos.

Even if you link directly to a page without going through the index, for example...?

http://rdanderson.com/videos/pages/1980 ... unaway.htm

It still doesn't work? Is it possible that there is a speed issue on your end, or some kind of international "firewall" that is interfering with the download?

I have now finished redoing all the videos that were originally in the Gallery, so they all SHOULD work properly. I have a few other sections to work on now, and then I will get back to adding new videos to the Gallery. (Well, "new" in the sense that they haven't been in the Gallery before, but of course they are all from the past - interviews dating back 30 years!)

I also posted RDA's latest photography experiment in the Updates, but I never know when to "announce" these because he tends to send a series of partial messages and I'm never sure when he is "finished." He sent another email last night saying that he had sent other black and white photos a few weeks ago (but I never got them) and he will try to find them again. So there may or may not be another update coming.

I will go ahead and send out the "Updates" announcement now, and a reminder that I will be away from home for much of July, so any updates for RDA's upcoming conventions will be delayed. But if you have anything you would like to offer to be added to the site, please feel free to send them along. I may not always be able to answer or acknowledge right away, but I will try to download the email frequently enough to prevent the inbox from overflowing. :)

Kate

User avatar
tvero80
Posts: 3768
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Website Redesign

Post by tvero80 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm
NiLa wrote: I tried again, with 2 devices, I used microsoft edge and google chrome with the same negative results. I reloaded the new page

The videos don't work. Same problems, the don't load properly and stop every few seconds. :(

I don't know why...
I'm so sorry, Anja, but I don't know why either!

All of the videos have now been uploaded to the fast server (and so far I am not getting dangerously close to my bandwidth limits), and each video should load individually without waiting for the "previews" of the other videos.

Even if you link directly to a page without going through the index, for example...?

http://rdanderson.com/videos/pages/1980 ... unaway.htm

It still doesn't work? Is it possible that there is a speed issue on your end, or some kind of international "firewall" that is interfering with the download?

I have now finished redoing all the videos that were originally in the Gallery, so they all SHOULD work properly. I have a few other sections to work on now, and then I will get back to adding new videos to the Gallery. (Well, "new" in the sense that they haven't been in the Gallery before, but of course they are all from the past - interviews dating back 30 years!)

I also posted RDA's latest photography experiment in the Updates, but I never know when to "announce" these because he tends to send a series of partial messages and I'm never sure when he is "finished." He sent another email last night saying that he had sent other black and white photos a few weeks ago (but I never got them) and he will try to find them again. So there may or may not be another update coming.

I will go ahead and send out the "Updates" announcement now, and a reminder that I will be away from home for much of July, so any updates for RDA's upcoming conventions will be delayed. But if you have anything you would like to offer to be added to the site, please feel free to send them along. I may not always be able to answer or acknowledge right away, but I will try to download the email frequently enough to prevent the inbox from overflowing. :)

Kate
Thanks again for your efforts , Kate . I only use my computer to watch the videos (microsoft edge ) and it works fine for me :)
We'll be patient and wait until you come back to get info from the cons , don't worry .
Image

Veronica LAKings

Post Reply