RDA book

nicolemj@otenet.gr

Re: RDA book

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

Annelies said: If there's one person who is honest, listens to Rick's wishes very carefully AND writes fantastic it sure is Kate!!! I mean that! Don't get me wrong it isn't a push over or a request or something like that, just thinking that When there would be wwitten a biography about RDA she should be the one to write it... ;)

I agree a 100% with you Annelies. Kate should be the one to write Rick's biography or whatever. She's the most perfect and the most reliable and trustworthy person for that job, and I'm sure the only one that Rick could really trust. I wish there will be sometime in the near future, an official book about RDA, authorized by him. That would be awesome.

And I'd love to have Kate's "Stargate - The Ultimate Visual Guide", but unfortunately, I can't have it through Amazon cause I don't own a credit card. If there's a way to order it somehow, through another source,(from a bookstore maybe, although I heard it is not available any longer), that would be great. Or if someone can tell me where else could I get a copy of that book?
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

Annelies wrote:
Anne wrote:
I would love to read a Richard Dean Anderson biography. Even though I'd prefer it to be written by himself or that at least he'd have the final say on what's going to be in there. He has such a unique way with words.
... If there's one person who is honest, listens to Rick's wishes very carefully AND writes fantastic it sure is Kate!!! ... When there would be witten a biography about RDA she should be the one to write it... ;)
She sure is :!: :D The interview "A life well lived" is the best of all the archives. He told her things that he would've hardly told to another interviewer.

I agree with you Anne, he really has a unique way with words and would be a good writer, but I doubt that he'll write a book, especially a biography, even if it would be great.

After all the biography of this site, archives, features and updates contain so many informations that it's like an online book :D
Claudia
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

You are so right about that Claudia :D we've got our own biography on the site thanks to Kate :D
Lots of love,

Lies

tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

cmbj67 wrote:
The interview "A life well lived" is the best of all the archives. He told her things that he would've hardly told to another interviewer.

I agree with you Anne, he really has a unique way with words and would be a good writer, but I doubt that he'll write a book, especially a biography, even if it would be great.
You're probably right,Claudia.He doesn't seem to be a nostalgic type of man . He lives in the present and I don't think looking back for more than an interview but for a whole book would please him.And writing an autobiography is the 'end' of something if you see what I mean.But I can't read his mind of course, I may be wrong.

V
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

Writing a biography about someone you care about at all (or an autobiography) is the most likely the single hardest book ever to write.

I knew a person that I admired very deeply. He had a national reputation in his field and when he died I had been one of the last people to study with him. After his death, I began researching him for my own personal reasons. Soon I had people clamoring that I should write a biography and that I should publish! Oh, heavens! Getting a timeline straight was hard enough, sorting through the mountains of materials was nearly overwhelming...and then something else started to happen. You see, even those people we dearly admire...they're human. Humans aren't perfect creatures. They make mistakes, sometimes horrible ones, stupid ones, regretful ones. They have loves and fears. They have moments of great strength and also wracking weakness. They often have vices of one kind or another. They have winning times and then times of true tragedy. All of these things start to come to light. As the writer, and someone who cares, you have to weight each thing. 'If I include this fact or that fact, is going to hurt others that also still care about this person?' Would such a book do more harm than good? If you don't include the ugly or painful things, is it still a true biography? I never published. I don't have the heart for it.

Rick is a good man. There is no doubt in my mind on this matter. But there may be things in his past that should, for the meantime, stay in the past. If he doesn't want to revisit old pains and old regrets, maybe this isn't the time for that book. We already know what we need to about him. And we can respect his privacy. He is a good man and he deserves that.
katann69

Post by katann69 »

Just been in RootsWeb.com (a genealogical site) to see if someone was doing RDA in it and there have been people on it.

I discovered one guy telling everybody that Rick married each one of the women he has dated over the years. I finally had to e-mail him to tell his the facts about him as he wasn't doing his research. He sent me a really nasty note back stating he hated RDA. I wrote back, then why are you even doing his family history in the first place. He did not respond.

I thought that was an interesting tidbit to share.

katann
katann69

Post by katann69 »

Understand from his one interview when asked to write a book... he said, "Noooo!" because he doesn't remember what he did the day before... so how could he be so interested in writing a book. All you have to do is go to Kate's site where he gives her all the information about him and his daughter... and all his growing up 'vagabond' days... She could actually write the book and get a return for all the work she had done.

He isn't interested in being an author at this time of his life. That would be a very 'dry' reading for him to be reminded of everything he has done in his life all at once.

All the interviews are shown in Kate's site and it will be book enough for me.

Save your money and just read Kate's site! It is very well informed by RDA himself! Kay
Anja

Post by Anja »

Fandango wrote:

Rick is a good man. There is no doubt in my mind on this matter. But there may be things in his past that should, for the meantime, stay in the past. If he doesn't want to revisit old pains and old regrets, maybe this isn't the time for that book. We already know what we need to about him. And we can respect his privacy. He is a good man and he deserves that.
http://www.floridafandango.com/
Fandango

I fully agree to your last paragraph. RDA has the right of privacy - biographies written by somebody else always lie!!!!!! Anja :!:
ANJA
CARPE DIEM Image
Gatelady

Post by Gatelady »

I have never had the privilege to meet Richard, but he always comes across as a kind man, from what I've heard from others, especially those who have worked with him, like those on Stargate, we know that filming on these things can take a long time, so it must be much nicer working with someone lovely.
Philippa M

Post by Philippa M »

bftlovesRDA wrote:Julia MH wrote:
Sorry, folks, but I would never ever buy such a book that he didn't authorise on one single page in it or that he himself or his manager (or who ever is allowed to represent him in this cases) has announced. Not worth a cent. Even if it just includes carreer facts that can also be found in the Internet.
I agree with Julia. I looked at the first few pages as shown in the Amazon listing - and it is a hodge podge of poorly organized information, none of which seems to make sense.

Kate - yes - please do let us know when YOU are going to do a REAL book on RDA. You've already done so much of the work that shows up here. I would buy THAT (your) book!
Here, here bftloveRDA,

I agree 100%, Kate should do Richards bio!

Richard Dean Anderson is Macgyver! .... *my hearts duet*