Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

KateR
Site Admin

Re: Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Post by KateR »

This thread has gone quiet, but perhaps this is a good place to add a MacGyverism story...

My refrigerator is 11 years old, and for the last several years, it has been making quite a loud and annoying vibrating noise whenever it is running. And since I have an open-concept apartment, it is distracting no matter where you are. :shock:

It seems to have something to do with the ice maker, and I have tried everything I can think of to at least reduce the noise. I tried turning off the ice maker, I tried removing the ice container completely, I tried tightening the screws on the plastic plate behind the ice container. About the only thing that would help is to open the freezer, press firmly on the ice container so that it presses against the rear plate, and then the noise lessens for a time. But lately even that doesn't work, or it only lasts for a few minutes. I've come very close to just unplugging the D##N thing, or rolling it out to the balcony and tossing it over. :roll:

I finally figured out that if I insert something in between the rear plate and the ice container, so that pressure is maintained between them, the noise will stop - but what to fit into that space, about a half inch wide? I thought of breaking pencils or popsicle sticks to the right size to wedge in between, or to create something out of cardboard and tape, or chewing gum...? Finally I opened my desk drawer to look for possible supplies, and I found my little post-it note pads, just about the right thickness. Just to take a measurement, I wedged the post-it note pad behind the ice container, and suddenly the noise stopped. And it hasn't made that noise since. :D

For YEARS I was putting up with this, and all I needed was a post-it note pad. Post-its really are an indispensable invention! :lol:

Once again, MacGyver saves the day.

Kate
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

this really made me laugh. 🤣🤣🤣
thanks for sharing. awesome story. hope it stays quiet now for a very long time...
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
Beata

Post by Beata »

:lol:

Last edited by Beata on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Kate, I too had a MacGyverism moment. I guess when we fix things ourselves, we look to the 'Man who can fix almost anything".

I had purchased a roll of 'Duck Tape- Glow in the Dark' - Duck Tape being Mac's go to fix it, but, 'glow in the dark' is a new product since the show ended. :(
My problem was living in a rural area, it is hard to see where the dog has gone to at night when I let him out. So I bought the tape & taped up the collar (not the dog :lol: ). The tape is so bright I can see him 1/4 mile away! Mac would be so proud!
But, next I put a stripe on the flashlight, so I can find that when the electric is out, and a stripe on the mailbox at the end of the driveway, and on the light switch, and swatches on the top of the stairs, the car keys, and the TV remote,,,, guess I went a little too safety conscious .. :lol:
1/2 a roll to go....Wonder what Mac would tape up??
. . . Easter eggs? Jelly beans??? :lol: Happy Easter Everyone! Stay safe & stay healthy!
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Jerseycoconut, how awesome is that! I need to get some of that glow in the dark duck tape!

Stay safe everyone!
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

that's cool, Jerseycoconut. never saw something like this here in the U.K.

I also had a moment where I fixed it MacGyver still. The release button for the petrol hatch in my car did break a few days ago. I was desperate to get fuel in it so I found out after looking how it worked in the first place (with a 19 year old car it is a bit easier as with all the electronic from today's cars). used a tool tongs to pull at the cable. fuel hatch was open again. yesterday i fixed it then with some cable binder, piece of 5 cm long wood and duck tabe. now i got a make shift release handle again. so i knew all this Mac episodes been good for something and not just watch at a cute guy.
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

A few days ago I repaired our plug in the sink of our bathroom. The original stopper lost its coating after so many years of use. Unfortunately I never got an identical plug anywhere (the size is not a nom). One day I found a big one, bought it and it fit, at least approximately. Problem was, the thing lay always directly on the drain, so that the water collected continuously and never ran off. I put a paper clip (MacGyver Style) in the fixture under the cover and it worked. Disadvantage - paper clips rust over time. So I was able to constantly renew them. A few days ago I was annoyed again because the paper clip was rusty and disintegrated into its individual parts when cleaning the insert.
So I thought about it ........ and came to the conclusion that a plastic part would be more suitable, more hygienic, better to clean. So I rummaged through our drawer with the useful things (everyone has such a drawer, right?) And found a suitable part, a plastic window hook that can be hung on the window frame (perfect suitable !!) I removed the unnecessary part with the pliers and hooked it directly under the plug, it fits perfectly. I wonder why I didn't think of it before. But as Kate said, better late than never :lol: :lol:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

JK, Jack, and Jerseycoconut - you gals rock! Mac would be proud!
B
NorthIdahoGirl

Post by NorthIdahoGirl »

When I read your story of shopping carts I totally relate. I have spent my life picking up after people so I try to always be mindful of my actions as well as my thoughts and words. I have always tried to also think outside the box and MacGyver things. I learned most of this from watching MacGyver and my parents. But the ? "What would MacGyver do" comes to mind a lot. LOL
Monika

Post by Monika »

Hello friends,
Thanks to CORONA, I have been working in another department of our organization since yesterday (04.05). And of cours I also used the bathroom there.
What do I see on a console? :?: Correct! Yellow ducklings. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The familiar image came to mind immediately.
Luckily I was alone so nobody could see my big grin.

From Monika with love
"As long as I always think of you and wish me somethings which I think is unattainable, there is no reason to be hurt by others."