RDA Trivia

mac_jack_fangirl

Re: RDA Trivia

Post by mac_jack_fangirl »

MacBeth wrote:Yes, they were his (at least according to another article)!

I'm sure he wore contacts at other times -- I suspect that's why his eyes appear so light in the later seasons of MacGyver. When he did his first Q&A at Gatecon in 2008, he mentioned that he had had eye surgery, which improved his vision a lot. He still wears glasses at least some of the time, but I think those are reading glasses.

Cute icon :D
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

*g* Thanks!

I made it for an RDA fan on LJ who wanted icons showing him wearing glasses. I also made her this one:

And here's one of Dexter, which I made for Lothithil:

Anyway, back to trivia! In what MacGyver episode did Chris Judge, later Teal'c, appear as a guest star?
mac_jack_fangirl

Oh man, I was just thinking of the youtube video of part of this episode. Awesome :D I'm going to go post that... I don't think it is there already but I had better check first.

It was Live and Learn

Edit: Just checked, I posted it already
mac_jack_fangirl

When you watch all these 80s TV programmes, people are always bound to pop up in different places. I geek out and say, oh she/he was in such and such a programme as well. Most of the times, they always play the good guy/gal bad guy/girl over and over again. You know what to expect sometimes.

Anyway, here's one. When Mac goes hiking with some Phoenix Foundation peeps, the park ranger they meet plays another character in another 80s programme. Name her and the episode and the other programme :D
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

The episode is The Invisible Killer, but I have no idea what other shows the actress playing the forest ranger appeared in.
mac_jack_fangirl

Have you ever seen Airwolf with Stringfellow Hawke? Another cutie :oops:
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Mac_Jack_fangirl - WOW! :o Those 2 graphics are totally awesome! Thanks for posting them!!!!! :D

MacJack#1Fan - Like you, I loved both of those episodes and did cry at the one with Pete and his glaucoma. Now that graphic tells us what a wonderful man is RDA (which, of course, we here all know). The one on teenage alcoholics and Mac saving Lisa from that almost plunging-down-the-hill car was also a good one. I liked it very much as well as the other stories that "Lisa" was in. MacGyver with kids always won my heart all throughout that series.

Beth - and Mac Jack Fangirl - yes RDA won the part because as Beth said: He was doing a cold reading, and asked if they would mind if he wore his glasses. There were over 100 who tried out for the part of MacGyver and this little seemingly innocent action won it for RDA. I am sure Henry Winkler didn't know at the time what a worldwide sensation RDA would become as MacGyver. This was so different from Stargate in which the guy at MGM (forget his name) actually called RDA and asked him to take the part of Colonel Jack O'Neill - right from the start...no audition needed. Again, little did that guy know that Jack/RDA would lead Stargate SG1 to be the huge success that it was.
B
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

That's unfair!!! So much is going on here while we are asleep in Europe. I knew about the glasses...

The park ranger was played by Jean Bruce Scott and she also played a recurring character in another tv programme of the 80s (not Airwolf of course).Which one? :)
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

bftlovesRDA wrote:This was so different from Stargate in which the guy at MGM (forget his name) actually called RDA and asked him to take the part of Colonel Jack O'Neill - right from the start...no audition needed. Again, little did that guy know that Jack/RDA would lead Stargate SG1 to be the huge success that it was.
That's what usually happens when an actor has become established -- instead of auditioning, they're simply offered the role. It's the equivalent of being headhunted for a job rather than interviewing. I doubt that RDA has had to audition for anything since MacGyver.

In addition, the core of his professional track record is the top lead in two very long-running shows -- 7 years for MacGyver, 10 years plus spin-offs for Stargate. This is a REALLY big deal in Hollywood. It's gold. At one of the Gatecon Q&A sessions (I think it was Gatecon; it might have been MTM), RDA remarked, "My name has become associated with longevity." He didn't exactly blush, but it was close.

The best thing was that he clearly doesn't think it's because he's special, or unusually talented, or extraordinarily gifted, or anything like that. He talks as if it's luck! Part of it is, of course, but so much of it is his own abilities. I love how genuine his humility is.
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

Right, it's one of the reasons why I was drawn to him. :D :D
Claudia