RDA Trivia

tvero80

Re: RDA Trivia

Post by tvero80 »

Jan Newman
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

This thread is a very good idea, I've already learned something new. I didn't know about the dog and the bracelets. :oops: Thanks :D
Claudia
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

tvero80 - YES, Jan Newman was the makeup artist who had a long working relationship with RDA. I know he valued her skills. She can be seen in the "Behind the Scenes" vignette about Paradise Lost. She seems like such a pro. I think there is an article about her here in the Archives also - but not sure....I read it somewhere. I think I remember it said she had been a nurse which gave her the knowledge needed to do realistic "wounds" in makeup for example.

cmbj67 - Isn't this great though? I love this thread too because I am also learning new things. There is a ton of information in the archives and I enjoyed reading through a lot of those stories in the last couple of weeks. Thanks to Kate for putting them there. There are lots of other sources of info like this, not the least of which is those here who are full of Mac and Jack trivia knowledge..... :D :D :D
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Here's a GREAT quote about RDA that is in the Archives Section of this website:

[quote]Critics have hailed MacGyver as an "adventure series for thinkers" and praised Anderson's shy sexiness and aw-shucks charm. Says one crew member, "Other TV actors, after two years on a hit show, develop an attitude. But not Ricky Dean." " :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That same archive article tells what action the shy, sexy, charming RDA did at his audition for the MacGyver part that clinched the deal for Ricky Dean for co-producers Henry Winkler (and John Rich).

Anybody know what action RDA did that convinced the producers to hire RDA? (a side question - how many actors auditioned for the MacGyver part? - in the same article)

And, as we know, what has transpired since Henry Winkler made that momentous decision is one magnificent and even legendary history of our hero, the outstanding and shyly sexy Richard Dean Anderson!
B
mac_jack_fangirl

Post by mac_jack_fangirl »

bftlovesRDA wrote:
Anybody know what action RDA did that convinced the producers to hire RDA? (a side question - how many actors auditioned for the MacGyver part? - in the same article)

And, as we know, what has transpired since Henry Winkler made that momentous decision is one magnificent and even legendary history of our hero, the outstanding and shyly sexy Richard Dean Anderson!
I think there was something about him asking to read the script in his glasses.

I came across a couple of graphics that probably wouldn't go in the quotes section or anywhere else so I'm going post them here. They're quite touching and give some more insight into his character.
mac_jack_fangirl

Credit to whoever made them

This issue made me cry for real :(

Not everyone liked Lisa but I always loved his interaction with kids

Mac/Jack#1fan

Post by Mac/Jack#1fan »

mac_jack_fangirl wrote:Not everyone liked Lisa but I always loved his interaction with kids

What nice graphics! I LOVE the one with Lisa... such a sweet story. I love his interaction with kids too. And I liked Lisa as a character. Some people think episodes the "20 Questions" are too.. preachy, but I really like them. Lisa was a good character and RDA's interaction with her was great :)

I can't get over that graphic with Lisa.... thanks for posting it. I love it :D
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

mac_jack_fangirl wrote:there was something about him asking to read the script in his glasses.
Yes -- he was doing a cold reading, and asked if they would mind if he wore his glasses.

Here's a related trivia question: what's significant about the glasses MacGyver wears when he's playing the Dexter character?
mac_jack_fangirl

MacBeth wrote:
mac_jack_fangirl wrote:there was something about him asking to read the script in his glasses.
Yes -- he was doing a cold reading, and asked if they would mind if he wore his glasses.

Here's a related trivia question: what's significant about the glasses MacGyver wears when he's playing the Dexter character?
I think they were his own right? Oh boy, I loved Dexter *happy sigh*

Did he wear contacts or maybe just needed glasses for close reading?
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

Yes, they were his (at least according to another article)!

I'm sure he wore contacts at other times -- I suspect that's why his eyes appear so light in the later seasons of MacGyver. When he did his first Q&A at Gatecon in 2008, he mentioned that he had had eye surgery, which improved his vision a lot. He still wears glasses at least some of the time, but I think those are reading glasses.