Fires in CA.

grainofsand

Re: Fires in CA.

Post by grainofsand »

tvero80 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 pm Any news ? This is what I've just found but I don't know if it's true :

Evacuation orders finally lifting in Malibu, sheriff calls devastation ‘heart-breaking’
The blaze, which has singed more than 97,000 acres, from beaches to the Valley, is now 47 percent contained.
By Jenna Chandler@jennakchandler Updated Nov 14, 2018, 10:27am PST
The last information for 1 hour ago :

#WoolseyFire: 98,362 acres, 52% contained, estimated 504 structures destroyed.
#HillFire: 4,531 acres, 96% contained, 2 structures destroyed.
grainofsand

Post by grainofsand »

This article from The New Yorker talk, among other things, about Richard while the Woosley fire.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... -the-blaze
Near an askew sign reserving parking for the P.T.A. president, I saw Richard Dean Anderson, the sixty-eight-year-old actor who played MacGyver on TV. He had on a headlamp and, around his neck, a lanyard for his keys and eyeglasses. When the fire hit the point, he said, “It was like that scene in ‘Wizard of Oz’ where Dorothy’s caught in this whirlwind. I had zero visibility, and it was hot, dark brown smoke, and ash. I was starting to feel some little burning stings.” He stayed up for the next several nights, going after sparks with an extinguisher. “We’re without electricity, for a while there was no water pressure, and there’s no communication whatsoever.” Someone offered him a solar light to take home, which he accepted genially. I asked him if he’d had to rig anything from gum foil during the ordeal. “I’m hanging flashlights from a chandelier, putting them on broad beam,” he said. “There are numerous times when you just don’t have something, and you have to make it work. A couple of times, I have made myself chuckle.” A moment later, he couldn’t find his glasses. When I pointed out that they were around his neck, he smiled and said, “MacGyver, eh?”
zoeryan

Post by zoeryan »

Wow. I can't help feeling he really should have evacuated!
grainofsand

Post by grainofsand »

Considering that many houses in his street were burned, it would have been more careful, but we were not there to know if he could evacuate safely. Maybe taking the road was more dangerous than staying on the spot.
Beata

Post by Beata »

I was thinking the same thing grainofsand

Some people got trapped evacuating in their cars, RDA is very smart and I am sure he made the best possible decision.

Beata
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

grainofsand wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:26 pm Considering that many houses in his street were burned, it would have been more careful, but we were not there to know if he could evacuate safely. Maybe taking the road was more dangerous than staying on the spot.
I was thinking the same thing too!

Several died trying to flee the fires, in their cars, that I am sure Richard did the best thing he could do.

God was merciful to him! We are all so grateful he survived okay and his dogs and his house did too.

Would love another update from him though.....but know he has been busy taking care of his property and helping his neighbors.
B
grainofsand

Post by grainofsand »

You right Beata, he didn't turn back just to challenge the evacuation orders. I think the evacuation was also dangerous.

Sandrine
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

grainofsand wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:49 pm This article from The New Yorker talk, among other things, about Richard while the Woosley fire.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... -the-blaze
Near an askew sign reserving parking for the P.T.A. president, I saw Richard Dean Anderson, the sixty-eight-year-old actor who played MacGyver on TV. He had on a headlamp and, around his neck, a lanyard for his keys and eyeglasses. When the fire hit the point, he said, “It was like that scene in ‘Wizard of Oz’ where Dorothy’s caught in this whirlwind. I had zero visibility, and it was hot, dark brown smoke, and ash. I was starting to feel some little burning stings.” He stayed up for the next several nights, going after sparks with an extinguisher. “We’re without electricity, for a while there was no water pressure, and there’s no communication whatsoever.” Someone offered him a solar light to take home, which he accepted genially. I asked him if he’d had to rig anything from gum foil during the ordeal. “I’m hanging flashlights from a chandelier, putting them on broad beam,” he said. “There are numerous times when you just don’t have something, and you have to make it work. A couple of times, I have made myself chuckle.” A moment later, he couldn’t find his glasses. When I pointed out that they were around his neck, he smiled and said, “MacGyver, eh?”
That is an amazing article about Richard and the Woosley fire! How terrible it sounds! He really was in terrible danger! Thank GOD he is okay!
B
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Poor man … I guess at first he didn't realize it would be that bad and just couldn't leave his home .Glad some people helped him … but what a nightmare !

"The wealthiest—i.e., the Kardashian-Wests, not usually whom I’d think of as canaries in the coal mine—have already adjusted, and, it was widely reported this week, are utilizing private firefighting teams to save their homes. But what about everyone else? In much of Malibu, the gap between what people expected and what they got has been filled by citizen-led efforts"

Disgusted to hear that .Funny (not so funny when you think of it but predictable :x ) to see that a big a*** and big b*** rule the world over there ! Sorry if I'm vulgar but not as vulgar as those bimbos , vulgarity incarnate !!!! And I always speak my mind .
grainofsand

Post by grainofsand »

The first time I read about it, I must say that I agreed with you Tvero80.
Then I read an article about it.
In fact, insurance companies pay private firefighters so they don't have to pay for multi-million dollar homes. These aren't celebrities hiring personally firefighters.
In the case of the Kardashian-West, I also read that private firefighters saved their entire neighborhood, while public firefighters could take care of another place.
Who knows what we would do in such a case.

Sandrine