Tonight Show Interview Transcripts

Bella123

Tonight Show Interview Transcripts

Post by Bella123 »

This is for Frenchwriter and anyone else who might find it helpful! :D

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, October 10th, 1994

(R = RDA, J = Jay Leno, and P = Pamela Anderson)

J - Welcome back, folks! Got a good one for you tonight. Richard Dean Anderson, and from Baywatch, a woman who also
happens to be, I am told she's in this magazine called Playboy. A number of men often look at this, I understand. It has
some rather revealing photos. Pamela Anderson is here. And, of course, the music of Jimmy Buffet, so it's a good
program. Alrighty! My first guest, a good friend of the program, he is starring in Beyond Betrayal tomorrow night on the
CBS television network. Please welcome Richard Dean Anderson! (Rick comes out, shakes hands with Jay, and sets down)
We mentioned the network.
R - You usually say "On another network."
J - Yeah, but since they're in third place, phfftt, who cares now?
R - Not a problem anymore. Nice...
J - We're trying to help you out.
R - Nice digs you got going.
J - Yeah, a new, kind of a "new do", I think they say? New hair cut?
R - Well, it's kind of a, it's like, left over from the last job I did. I just got off a plane last night from Atlanta and I was playing a teacher. (Audience whoops) It's hot and muggy down there, darlin'.
J - Yeah.
R - That's why the hair looks the way it is.
J - Oh, so that's why you got it cut...
R - It's kind of left over, yeah.
J - Now see, so even if your hair looks bad you can always say "It's for a part. I played a murderer."
R - And don't you find it's really a drag to keep having to put that grey in there?
J - Yeah, you know, I had that little touch. This is that stuff called "Touch of Elderly", you just put it in.
R - It drives me nuts.
J - It drives women wild.
R - That's what I keep getting told.
J - Yeah I just put that in to confuse my bald friends, you know, at least it's grey. So where were you? Were you back home in
Minnesota? Isn't that where it is?
R - Yeah, well, I had a great summer. I was, I did a movie back in the beginning of the summer up in Vancouver, and then I went... (Audience whoops) Geography getting an applause. And then I..., I usually go up to, for the Fourth of July, I fly my brothers up to a cabin, up in northern Minnesota that my father and I purchased (Audience whoops) Sheesh!! Will you stop it?!
J - So you have a cabin way up in the, is it way out in the woods or something?
R - Yeah, it's like, in fact it's, fourteen miles away from the closest town, basically. And I fly my brothers up there and we bond. It's kind of a...
J - You bond?
R - Well, yeah, it's a kind of northern woods male bonding sort of thing. My dad comes up and we, uh, we do the guy things.
J - A Hungry Man dinner, is it that kind of thing?
R - Well...
J - "I'd like some more flapjacks, Little Billy"
R - Sort of, yeah. But we do stuff like work on the boat house...
J - Work on the boat house, yessiree, bob!
R - You got to get the dialect right. It's like "I'm home, snookums. What's for dinner? Asparagus, oh no."
J - That's right. Now there are no women on this thing? Just the men?
R - Well, occasionally, and eventually, my Dad's girlfriend comes up and blesses us with her cooking, thank..thank the Lord.
J - Well, that's very nice
R - But, um, but I discovered something about, I'm usually a little self-conscious about, and have been for years, I know this is..., about my body. You know, I look, like, tall and lean, but I've got (Audience whoops) Ah, thank you, another geography lesson, bu I've got these love handles that I've always been a little...
J - Love handles?
R - Yeah, like...like fat.
J - Let me see. Let me see.
R - You'll see 'em another time.
J - No, let me see them. Let me see. Let me see. Oh, what a fat pig! Oh man!
R - Yeah, but have you hugged Richard (Simmons) lately?
J - No. He won't let me hug him. He won't let me hug him. I tried to hug him, and he wouldn't let me hug him.
R - Well...
J - He has, like you, a fear of intimacy, apparently.
R - Well, that kind of intimacy, with Richard Simmons, I'm not looking for, okay? With all due respect.
J - Apparently, you didn't get a free pair of sneakers.
R - Obviously not.
J - Now what's with these love handles? It doesn't seem like any big deal.
R - Well, I just, it's always been kind of bothersome. I got skinny legs and I got, like, these little love handle things, and..but I'm looking at... my brothers and I'm sitting around, working on the dock or something, doing something very Minnesotan, you know, and I look around. We're all just wearing shorts, like in the water, and it's hot and muggy and I look around and I see.. And the first thing out of my mouth was "I don't feel so bad. It's hereditary."
J - The whole family has these?
R - We've all got them. It's like genetic, thank the Lord, so I'm feeling better about it now.
J - You should show the audience. You should get it over with now.
R - Um, next time.
J - I mean, a lot of people maybe not familiar with the term, show them what you're talking about, show them this horrible, disfiguring genetic thing you have.
R - I tell you what...
J - And the fact that you were able to over come it and go forward.
R - On national television. You know, I've got some other physical problems that...
J - Well, I know that.
R - That we may not want to delve into, but I'll come prepared next time.
J - Are you not going to...
R - I'll strip for you. You know, one time on the show I said "You should see me naked." You should have taken me up on it right then and there.
J - Um, yeah, I didn't really want to see you naked, but...
R - Well, what are you asking for now?
J - I just want to see the love handles. Show us...
R - You'll see them all in good time.
J - Oh, show us the love handles, go ahead.
R - Let me put on a little weight...
J - Come on, here you go, here you go, let's see what he's talking about.
R - There's one.
J - Let's see, can we get a...oh boy, look at that! Oh boy!
R - That thing is huge! Now let's see yours, Jay.
J - Imagine somebody...I don't have any.
R - Just take your choice, which one?
J - Imagine somebody tuning in now, just hearing the last thirty seconds "That thing is huge, show me yours." We'll be right
back with Richard Dean Anderson right after this!

(Commercial break)

J - Welcome back. Talking with Richard Dean Anderson. You know, uh, I found a great photo of you from the seventies.
R - From the seventies? Well, blessedly...
J - Does this look like the seventies? Can you show this on... There he is! Yeah! It's Yanni! Yanni is MacGyver!
R - Yeah, Linda Evans and I used to date a long time ago.
J - That looks great.
R - That's a scary...what's scary about it is that you have it.
J - Oh, yeah, yeah. Oh, I have every embarrassing thing, so it's fabulous. I'm like J. Edgar Hoover. We've go a huge file upstairs.
R - You're a frightening man.
J - Now let me ask you, you're up in the woods, your're bonding with the family, yeah, bonding?
R - Yah, sure, snookums.
J - Now were you a scout? Did you do all that? Coming from...
R - Yeah, Boy Scouts, was an interesting phase in my life. It went by quickly because it was...I essentially look at the Boy Scouts as, and please, it's a great organization, I have a lot of respect for them.
J - Yeah.
R - That said, my first experience with the Boy Scouts was essentially the first experience with the military for me. And, um, I got kicked out of the Boy Scouts.
J - You were kicked out of the Boy Scouts?
R - I was kicked out. It's not an easy thing to do.
J - Now, what'd you do? Did you stab another scout or something? What did you do exactly?
R - No.
J - Fight?
R - Jay...
J - Stealing? I don't know?
R - I farted at a meeting. It's an absolutely true story, I swear to you...
J - Now wait a minute...
R - Lake Owassa Grade School and were all sitting around...
J - Lake Owassa?
R - Yeah, and we're in the gym and it's got like hard linoleum floors...this is...a really class act, aren't I?
J - I see, and the hard linoleum floor then made it, yeah
R - Yeah, and you know, a long time... we'd had some bad beans or something like that and I didn't...It wasn't a matter of forcing it out, it came out, and it resonated and it...they...what about you?
J - Now wait a minute. I never heard of anyone...so they said "That's it! You're out of Scouts, young man!"?
R - Yeah, and you know what? I wish I had had the where-with-all, I don't know how old you are when you're in the Boy Scouts, going for your Tenderfoot, or second class, but I wish I'd had the where-with-all to say, you know, "That a natural physiological process of the body. Leave me alone." How about you?
J - So what happened, what happened? You did this, and then what? The scout master said what?
R - I was asked to leave. "We don't want boys like you in our troop," Yeah, yeah, what about you? You've been in the...You know, you're laughing a little too knowingly.
J - No, no it's just the idea of, you know, we don't want boys like you in the troop. Now it's just life of crime for you.
R - No one with gas in our troop.
J - And you were kicked out?
R - Yeah, gone.
J - And did the other guys tease you about this?
R - Well, I was distraught, I was really upset at the time, but in retrospect...(weird noise offstage) There you go. Bless you.
J - I didn't know if that was you or something over there now. I can never be in a close car with you again.
R - You'll know know when it's me, you'll know. This is a classy interview, isn't it?
J - Yeah.
R - What about you? You got any, like, Boy Scout...
J - I don't have any fart stories, I'm sorry.
R - A likely story. Boy Scout stuff?
J - Quickly, any girls? Any new women?
R - Yeah....
J - Are you seeing anyone now?
R - Uh, yes.
J - This has been going on...
R - I know.
J - Like in the twenty years that I've known you, can't... you used to settle down.
R - You know something, I should have...I was going to bring a stopwatch out and just click it off right to the point when you ask me about it. And you did well tonight! You waited until the last split second.
J - Well, I wanted to find out if you have...is there anyone? Are you seeing anyone now?
R - Um, yea...no...yea
J - You were seeing that ice skater for a while.
R - "That ice skater." She's won like two world champion...
J - You know what my mother said when I told her that? Because she always about you. She would say "Oh, how is that nice young man? Has he met anyone?" This is absolutely true. I haven't told you this. I tell her, "Well, Ma, he's seeing that Olympic skater now, I guess that looks pretty serious." and my mother said "Oh, Sonja Henie?" I said, "Katarina Witt, Ma!" "Oh, yeah. Oh, I thought it was Sonja Henie." We got to take a break? Alright, Richard Dean Anderson, you guys. Tomorrow night, CBS, Richard Dean Anderson.

(Commercial break)

J - Alrighty, TV Guide has called my next guest the "Venus de Malibu" of the Baywatch Babe Brigade. That was the title previously held for eleven years by Margaret Meade. She's also the cover girl of the newest issue of Playboy magazine, for the fifth time on the cover, please welcome Pamela Anderson. How are you?
P - I'm nervous.
J - Did you see Richard's disgusting love handles? Is that, um...
P - I saw that. You want to see mine?
J - Yeah, I'd love to see, yes.
R - Disgusting? I thought they were cute.
P - They're beautiful. You don't have any love handles.
R - Thanks.
J - Have you guys met before? Do you know each other?
P - Actually, yeah, we met at a few things.
R - Yeah, we were at the Dodgers stadium one time, I let her wear my Dodgers "Anderson" jacket.
P - Yeah, he let me wear his jacket.
J - Ah!
P - Actually, that's not the first time I've seen you though. I actually saw you, um, in Vancouver. Everyone was in love with
you because you were on MacGyver, and I was just moved to Vancouver, me and my girlfriends were following you around a
pharmacy.
R - (Sounds like ex? Maybe the name of the pharmacy? Anyone?) And you didn't say anything?
P - No, we were just saying "That's MacGyver! That's MacGyver!"
J - What was he buying in the pharmacy, do you know?
P - He was actually buying film for a camera.
J - Oh.
P - Or something. I don't know what you were buying but we were following you around.
R - Why didn't you...we'll talk.
J - Now, how long ago...how long ago was this. That must have been in '88 or '87 or something like that.
R - Yeah.
J - So that was a while ago, so you were probably in high school and you would be in jail.
P - We go way back.
J - So you're from Canada
P - Yeah.
J - So how did you here? Did you work in Canada? Did you?

(Cut to next part with Rick, [Thank you Kate!])

Jay discusses dream interpretation with Pamela.

J - How about Rick's dream. Rick, do you have a dream? Maybe she could interpret for you.
R - Well, none that we could...well, never mind.
P - We'll talk later.
R - This is psychology we're dealing with, not philosophy.
J - Ah.
R - You might want to get your questions straight, Jay.
J - Ah, well thank you. Thank you for setting me straight. Perhaps you have a question?
R - Goodnight!

(Cut)

Jay tells who is going to be on the show the next night.

J - Hey, you guys are hitting it off pretty good!
R - We're married now.
J - Hey, that's pretty good.
P - No, my boyfriend's in the green room. We were just talking.
J - Aw, that's too bad.
R - We'd save on monograms.
J - It looked like it was going good, chatting away.

The End :)

I hope this is okay; it's the first time I've done a transcript! Rick and Jay Leno talk over each other sometimes, so it makes it difficult to catch everything they are saying. If anyone has any corrections, I'd love to hear them.
I may transcribe some of the other interviews as I get time. Any requests?
Thanks so much for posting these, Kate! You're the best!
Last edited by Bella123 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credit goes to MacBeth (Lolmac) for the avatar!
PamK1950

Re: Tonight Show Interview Transcripts

Post by PamK1950 »

Great job on the transcript Bella. :D :D :D
If you can't say anything nice.....

tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

PamK1950 wrote:Great job on the transcript Bella. :D :D :D
Indeed .Great job ,thank you Bella.They are so funny together,so good at repartee. :D :D :D
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

Great job Bella !!! Thank you
Wouahh! what a patience to write all words!
Really nice and kind
Now, I'm able to translate into French..
Thousand thanks !!!!

(And thank Tvero for your help, too )
Bella123

Post by Bella123 »

Thank you for your kind words! I enjoyed doing it! :D
Cindy61

Post by Cindy61 »

You did a great job, Bella! Even though i had watched and heard all of this, i still find it exceedingly fun to read. Thank you so much for your efforts. ;) :)
CMac

Post by CMac »

What a great job! Your work is much appreciated. :)

That is one of my favorite interviews. I like how he flirts with Pam--he's so boyish and charming! :oops:
Bella123

Post by Bella123 »

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - October 29, 1996
(R = RDA, J = Jay Leno, P = Rhea Perlman

J - Alrighty, my next guest is a good friend of the show. He is starring in the upcoming miniseries "Pandora's Clock." A big plane is going to crash, everybody's dead. Will they make it? We'll find out. It premieres on November tenth on NBC. That's where we have those promos where the big plane is coming...
R - (offstage) It's HUGE!
J - It's huge. Please welcome Richard Dean Anderson, ladies and gentlemen! (Rick comes out) Have a seat, my friend.
R - (In Ernest Pratt voice) Thank you!
J - How nice of you to bring gum for every one.
R - I brought it for everyone.
P - Can I throw it out?
R - Oh, please, please!
P - I mean, really?
R - (Sounds like) Now you can't chew it.
P - Now I have something to do while you blab.
J - Thank you. That's right.
R - Well, just shatter me here, Rhea!
P - Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! You could have opened it for me!
R - You throw it all at once, someone else could do it.
P - All right, wait.
J - Now, you feeling all right? You have a cold. You all right?
R - Um, yeah, I'm sort of recovering, regrouping a little bit. Just, um...
J - Regrouping they call it now? The nineties?
R - Uh, re"croup"ing? (Clears throat) No, I'm...I came down with a little bit of a cold a little while a go, but I take steps to rectify the problem. Hot showers. Actually, I've got a very bad back, so, um, I tend to take a lot of hot showers, kind of in the fetal position to loosen up the lower back.
J - Hot showers in the fetal position?
R - Yeah. And I...I haven't been sleeping very well, either, so..but the other day I...I was heating up the lower and trying to take care of the cold at the same time, and I actually fell asleep in the shower.
J - Feel asleep in the shower? Really?
R - In the fetal position until the hot water ran out and it turned...
J - I see how that would wake you up.
R - Turned to cold water, which of course, what woke me up was the massive shrinkage that took place.
J - Yeah, maybe.
R - Something...something is missing here.
J - Yeah, that's it. Don't see...
R - Not much was missing, but it was missing.
J - Don't see a lot of Eskimo guys bragging.
R - Thank you.
J - Now let me ask you, why don't you just take a bath? Sit in a hot tub?
R - Um, not a big bath guy.
J - Not a bath guy?
R - Not a bath kind of guy. Actually, I don't have a bath tub.
J - Your house doesn't have a bath tub?
R - No. No. I'm a loser, Jay, for gosh...I have a hose.
J - Yeah, but I've seen these plastic showers with a hole in it?
R - Yeah, I'll work on it, I'm working on it.
J - So you have a house, but there's no tub in the house?
R - Well, I'm still renting.
J - Oh, that's right. You're still renting.
R - Yeah. Mr. Set-Down-Those-Roots-Make-A-Commitment Anderson is what they call me.
J - How's your love life? Anything happening there? Are you...that's why your back is bad. All these cocktail waitresses.
R - Now cut that out. We go...folks, you know if you watch the show over the years, we go through this, this is a ritual with Jay and I.
J - No, no, you should...I mean you're sixty-one years old, you should have a woman. Who you dating? You dating anyone I would know?
R - Um, no, actually you wouldn't know her...
J - Weren't you going out...you were going out with the ice skater Sonja Henie for a while. I remember that.
R - Right, Sonja Henie. It's your mother's reference of Sonja.
J - Now who are you seeing now? You seeing anyone famous?
R - I'm seeing a very lovely, witty...what I love about this woman is she gets it. That's all you got to say. She...
J - Well, yeah, that's what you want.
R - No, that's NOT what I mean. (To Rhea) I try with him. I try, I try...
J - So tell me about it. Tell me. What does she do? What does she do for a living?
R - She, um, does a multitude of things.
J - Yeah. What's one of them?
R - She's very extremely talented, she's associated with the business...
J - So she's in show business!
R - Not IN show business, per se, she's in the periph...she has sense enough to stay on the periphery.
J - I think that's called a groupie, if I'm not mistaken.
R - Will you stop it?!
J - It's called a groupie. So what does she do? How does she earn money? Assuming you're not picking up all the tabs.
R - She, uh, she...she...she writes, she produces, she...
J - Wow! Wears many hats.
R - She decorates.
J - She decorates. Wow.
R - She does everything. Writes, produces and decorates.
P - That's the peripheral?
R - That's the periphery, yeah.
J - So how long have you been going out with her?
R - Um, a while, Jay, just a while, okay?
J - Well, people are interested in this kind of stuff.
R - It only took us a minute and a half to get to this level.
J - That's all right. Well, people are fascinated with your love life. Marriage potential?
R - Please, are you really? (Audience cheers) Thanks a lot. Big help.
J - Marriage potential, possibly?
R - I'm not going into this with you, okay? You know, the air conditioning is on, but it's awfully...
J - You're blocking! You're blocking.
R - You think I'm in denial, Jay?
J - You're in denial.
R - Just a tad.
J - Now what are you doing now, sports-wise. I know you hurt your knee, so I know you go for the extreme sports.
R - I have.
J - The bungee-jumping without the cord and all that nonsense. You do all that kind of goofy stuff. What's your latest sport? What are you doing now?
R - Uh...the latest sport?
J - Yeah.
R - Um, over...over this last winter I...in fact, since I've seen you last, I've had two major knee surgeries, one of which I did playing hockey. The other one three months later, I blew out at sixty miles an hour skiing.
J - Oh wow.
R - I was doing training for a downhill run that I do every year.
J - Now what did you...did you hit something or just...
R - No, I just blew out at high speed, compression bump and just, those of you who ski know what those are all about, and sixty miles an hour, you don't save it. So, um, I had another surgery to kind of piece that back together again and get me ambulatory. So I decided it was time to possibly acknowledge the fact that time marches on. And, uh, to take up a low-impact sport, so I took up, uh.....golf.
J - Golf? Now is it, uh, regular or miniature, or...regular? Regular golf?
R - Actually regular golf.
J - Regular golf.
R - Yeah.
J - Now do you have the whole bit? Do you have the whole...
R - You know, I've embarrassed...I embarrassed some friends in Seattle. We were shooting Pandora's Clock (Audience whoops) Oh, Pandora's Clock?
J - The exciting miniseries here on NBC, of course!
R - It's HUGE, Jay! It's huge.
J - The plane...
R - No, but I honestly didn't, about golf, didn't know that there was an actual protocol involved in dress, mode and behavior and such. And I...these guys in Seattle, we were shooting Pandora's Clock.
J - Yeah.
R - Used my name to get us into a private cl...into a private...country club, I guess is what they're called.
J - Yeah.
R - Big field of green grass is what I called it.
J - Sounds like a golf course, yeah.
R - That's what it was, actually.
J - Yeah.
R - And I'm dressed in high top tennies, shorts, um, kind of a shirt, tee shirt and that type of thing. I got a major double take. I was doing things like running down, running after my ball. Um, my golf game kind of took on the air of a polo match. I actually, in the middle of a back swing of our director of photography's putt, for money, they were playing this "skins" thing, whatever that is, um, I actually passed wind in the...
J - You know something? This whole single thing is becoming clear now.
R - (can't make out first part) didn't have to move that far away.
J - That's funny, I always see...I always wondered why I see you in a convertible on the coldest day.
R - Yeah, that's why, why I'm so alone.
J - Well, listen, good luck on the miniseries. You have the Van Johnson part? Are you the captain of the ship?
R - Uh, I am actually...I play Captain James Holland (makes static noise), but, um...
J - (makes static noises and gibberish) So what, somebody has some kind of disease on the plane, some kind of cold sore?
R - Yeah, there...it...it involves every aspect of the disaster movie you could imagine. It's got, uh, intrigue, it's got viruses...
J - And the plane can't land, right? Everybody's got herpes and they won't let it land anywhere.
R - Yeah, I...It is herpes, actually, but it's spectacular. November tenth and eleventh right here on NBC.
J - Well, it looks pretty big. It looks very, very exciting.
R - On NBC.
J - Called Pandora's Clock, ladies and gentlemen. We'll be right with Alan Jackson. Thank you, Richard. Richard Dean Anderson!

(Commercial cut)
Jay mentions Alan Jackson's new CD and thanks him.
J - Richard Dean Anderson. Pandora's clock is the exciting miniseries.
R - Happy birthday, Dad! Happy birthday!
Jay thanks Rhea Perlman and Intrique

The End :)
Bella123

Post by Bella123 »

CMac wrote:What a great job! Your work is much appreciated. :)

That is one of my favorite interviews. I like how he flirts with Pam--he's so boyish and charming! :oops:
Yes he is! :oops: I think I read somewhere that they dated at one time, but maybe not. I can't remember. Kate, do you know? I don't want to say things that aren't true! :lol:

I noticed when Pam tells him he doesn't have love handles, the way he says "thank you" and his body language is just like when he guest-starred on The Facts of Life and said "What's not to love?", or something like that. I thought that was neat! :D
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Sorry Bella . When I read your last message I didn't realize there was another transcript too ( October 1996) .Thank you very much for posting it.