RDA accent

Root

RDA accent

Post by Root »

Ok, I didn't find a topic on that, and as a non american, I have a question. Does RDA have a strong Minnesotan's accent? Or did he lost it? Is it more present in what movies/series?

I recognized some of the expression from there, sometimes when he said Minnesooota (I lived here for one year and all the american that asked me where I was, when I said Minnesota, they were like "oh my god, you sound like one of them :shock: , I didn't know I "caught" a little bit of that accent that I love! :oops: ).
Other than that, I find that Michael Shanks has a strong canadian accent...and well Don S. Davis, he couldn't say he wasn't from texas ;)
bftlovesRDA

Re: RDA accent

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Root wrote:Ok, I didn't find a topic on that, and as a non american, I have a question. Does RDA have a strong Minnesotan's accent? Or did he lost it? Is it more present in what movies/series?

I recognized some of the expression from there, sometimes when he said Minnesooota (I lived here for one year and all the american that asked me where I was, when I said Minnesota, they were like "oh my god, you sound like one of them :shock: , I didn't know I "caught" a little bit of that accent that I love! :oops: ).
Other than that, I find that Michael Shanks has a strong canadian accent...and well Don S. Davis, he couldn't say he wasn't from texas ;)
Hi, Root = I don't think RDA has a strong Minnesotan accent - from his roles in TV and movies and from his interviews. I have relatives from Minnesota and they have a very distinctive accent, it's true. RDA was always quoting famous Minnesotan cultural items (or at least he did some of the time in Stargate).....e.g. Loofas, curling...and others I can't pronounce or spell. And I bet he can put on a Minnesotan accent whenever he really wants to do that. Just my opinion.
B
mac_jack_fangirl

Post by mac_jack_fangirl »

In Moebius, I love it when Sam and Daniel are trying to convince alternate Jack that they are supposed to be on a team that travels to other planets and save the world. :D

This is the best line iIMHO said in a very strong MN accent.

Alternate Jack: Yeah. Okay. Sure. I'll buy that. Uh huh. The three of us. The world, we save it, right? Okay.
CMac

Post by CMac »

Have you ever noticed that he also either has a slight lisp or an unusual way of pronouncing his "S's"? My stepdad is from Ohio and I have noticed this with him, too--that he draws out the "S" a little longer on some words. It might be a Midwest thing that my fellow Midwesterners are unaware of, but I think it's cute. It makes RDA sound boyish and sweet. :oops:
zoeryan

Post by zoeryan »

for me I thought it was always hilarious how he pronounces "anything" all throughout MacGyver - not sure if it's a Minnesota thing, but he always sounds like he has a cold when he says that word. (See beginning of the episode Friends for an example). :D
uniquelyjas

Post by uniquelyjas »

I just read that in the beginning of the series they had RDA adopt a more "neutral" accent which, to me, sounded almost Southern at times. Later on they let him just speak like he normally does and I didn't hear any accent...perhaps because I'm from Wisconsin so we talk the same??