RDA@Auckland Armageddon, NZ

bftlovesRDA

Re: RDA@Auckland Armageddon, NZ

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Welcome to the forum - AMG, Chebo, and angc121 :!: :D :!:

Chebo, I join the rest who are keeping you in thoughts and prayers. As others have said, stay strong and enjoy the forum when you can - it should cheer you up as often as possible.

AMG and angc121 - thank you for your recounting of your time meeting RDA at the Armageddon Expo. It's always very good to read about the face to face meetings of any of RDA's fans with him. I'm sorry it was so crowded also - but that's a good sign for those of us who love Richard Dean Anderson since his fan base is growing, not diminishing.

Welcome, again!
B
Stoneridge

Post by Stoneridge »

Hi All, I had posted this on my "about me" page, putting it here for those that don't read my posts.

Well I went along to the Armageddon Expo to meet Rick and he seems to be having a great time over here. He said that he loves our countryside and that we Kiwi's are a polite and friendly bunch of people. I have heard those same sentiments hundreds of times over in my lifetime from people of other nationalities, I wonder if it is because we are somewhat disconnected e.g.: not joined to other countries that perhaps NZ is so often called paradise untouched and we also don't have outside influences and trends setting us apart from other countries perhaps.

Rick has appeared on quite a few of our channels over here since he arrived and radio stations as well. I doubt that he envisaged just how popular he was and still is over here. Dating back to "MacGyver" and that specific character is actually how a lot of Kiwi's are. Ingenuity is HUGE over here and so is DIY (do it yourself) we have this thing which we call a No.8 wire mentality. No.8 wire is actually fencing wire used for paddocks over here but the theory is that if you have a piece of No.8 wire then you can do and make anything. And believe me... we actually do. Kiwi's are full of "can do" attitude and in some respects perhaps that sets us apart from others. We seriously do have a clean, green NZ and that is the way that we like it – Rick noticed this! I've heard many a person stipulate that NZ is so beautiful, yet I've never really left here so I don't have that experience. We don't have the crime, graffiti, rubbish, gangs, overcrowding and as for guns over here they are usually used for vermin hunting in the country or just plain target shooting within a shooting club.

The expo itself was bedlam, 3 days later and my back is still killing me - I am running out of painkillers. We left home early enough but did not envisage that the motorway would be stopped for kilometers because of the show; there was also a near miss accident beside us in another lane. That was scary; a truck loaded with logs nearly took out a car beside us who had decided that it was a good idea to stop dead on the motorway – of all the crazy things to do!

When we got to Greenlane Road where the expo was all of the parking was full and there was no entry. We drove a couple of kilometers up the road and finally found some parking then it was a seriously long walk back to the expo entry. I took a photo of my car so that I could find it when we eventually left.

We spent from 10am until well after 5pm standing without being able to move at all most of the time and no seating at all. Hours of not being able to move more than a foot every so often. No chance of being able to get to a restroom or something to drink or eat at all, you could not get out of the doorways and if you did then your chances of getting back inside were nominal to say the least. The queues for Rick went backwards and forwards several times in loops, I don’t think that I have ever seen so many people crammed into buildings like that in my life. Auckland is the largest city in New Zealand and I have seen a lot of crowds before but never like this, it was way over the top. I was talking with many people in the line and they were all awesome, most seemed to be from the MacGyver era, the photo on this website of the guy standing with Rick dressed as MacGyver and holding that missile was just in front of us. A lot of people had their photo taken with him as well – he was very authentic and looked the part.

As for Rick himself, he was awesome, he endured a hell of a lot this past weekend and I don’t think he could have ever envisaged how popular and revered he was going to be over here. I truly hope that he has enjoyed himself immensely but I bet he is completely tired out. Somehow I don’t think he will forget NZ or New Zealanders for quite some time. I heard him say that he would like to spend an extended month over here just being a tourist by the sound of it. That would be great but to see NZ properly you really need a few months, we may look like a tiny country but in between places there is hours and hours of vehicle driving with nothing for miles. I heard Rick saying something about a short trip from Australia to New Zealand, presuming it was just a short boat trip, not so – it’s actually a minimum of a 3 hour flight on a good day depending on which part of Australia that you are coming from, some areas it is a 7 hour flight.

Finally got to the photo session queue and there were loads of awesome people to talk to. There was really nothing to do at all but really get to know the people that were in the queue as well. We were certainly having fun and making the most of the hours of waiting, joking, laughing and talking. I was giving stick to one of the Armageddon staff members standing beside us because Jenna Coleman (from Doctor Who) walked up to us and was asking the staff member who we were waiting in line for albeit the staff member didn’t even recognize her. I think Jenna asked because the RDA photo shoot was supposed to be finished ages ago but it was still going.

Afterwards we headed for the autograph session and I’m afraid I think I really confused him, I didn’t mean to at all and if he ever reads this then “Rick I’m truly sorry” in fact you got me all confused as well. I think I had too many photos and other things in my hands and he didn’t know which he should be signing, we finally got it sorted and he was a gentleman. I told him I was great at multi-tasking and we both laughed.

It was fantastic meeting Rick for a couple of seconds and I’m glad that I went along. However I don’t believe that I could physically ever do it again with my back broken the way that it is. I doubt that I could stand this much amount of pain from standing and queuing again, (people who know me, know what this is about). I am normally so careful that I have no problems at all but all the standing and the queues were too much. As for Rick – I bet he is exhausted to say the least, even when I got to the autograph portion of the event he was looking somewhat tired and this was only the first day, he had two more days of this to come yet. Awwww

T
Clean/Green NZ
Take only photos, leave only footprints.
katann69

Post by katann69 »

Thank you for making me feel a WHOLE lot better about not attending. Just hearing every detail of you experience was like I was there. Awwww, poor Richard! He is going to be sooooo exhausted and will probably ride the plane sleeping the whole trip.

Thank you so much since at my age, I could not stand for that long a period of time. You are a 'GEM' for doing that for us!

Kay
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Chebo, all the warmest wishes for you!! With you in thoughts and keep positive! Hope you will enjoy our family ;) !!!

T, besides the hurting back ( 10 am til 5pm ???? :shock: ) glad to hear you had a good time with the people in the queue and met Rick!!

Loved your story! THANKS!!
Lots of love,

Lies

katann69

Post by katann69 »

Hey guys, have you heard if RDA is home yet? Or did he stay on to do more touring of NZ? Kay
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Paul Brown said in one of his tweets that he was back home in Canada after a stop in LA. So I suppose RDA is too(if they travelled together) :?:
Stoneridge

Post by Stoneridge »

Aha, I wondered who that guy was with Rick at Armageddon. Still wondering who the Lady with them was though.
T
Clean/Green NZ
Take only photos, leave only footprints.
Jemster

Post by Jemster »

Stoneridge wrote:Aha, I wondered who that guy was with Rick at Armageddon. Still wondering who the Lady with them was though.
T
Might have been Paul's wife. Dunno.

Michelle
Last edited by Jemster on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katann69

Post by katann69 »

I figure the woman was with Paul rather then RDA since the only girl he focuses on is his daughter, Wylie.

I believe that is why Apryl left when Wylie was 2 who is now 16 and left from Canada to Los Angeles. She lost her #1 position in RDA's life because Wylie now has been permanently planted in the #1 spot in RDA's life.

The woman that comes into his life has to agree to the same terms Apryl lived with for 17+ years... no wedding ring and since he has a child of his own now, that woman has to accept that new ground rules that Wylie is a part of the deal.

Since most of the women he knows... VERY HIGH MAINTENANCE life style and you aren't going to find that many women willing to get filthy dirty out in the wilderness when trekking out there or motorcycling. One thing RDA won't do is give up his Harleys... most potential wives want the hubbies to give up the bikes. Trust me when I say this... RDA would not like that at all. LOL!

Kay
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

I think this is becoming a bit too personal.We are not here to discuss his past or present private life.He wouldn't like it and he would be right .
Let's focus on other things,please.
V