RDA@Auckland Armageddon, NZ

AMG

RDA@Auckland Armageddon, NZ

Post by AMG »

Image http://armageddonexpo.com/nz

O M G

I have never seen the show so crowded. New Zealand's own "Mini-ComicCon" with an array of popular stars that drew fans from all over the country, and from overseas. Only up for the day (from Wellington), we didn't get to see any panels. It was a missions just to "swim" through the crowd to see a bit of the show and our two main events. Tokens pre-paid when we got our entry tickets. Everything sold out so fast. Crowded is a safe word. The place was literally packed to the gunnels and so slow-moving in places I found the panic of claustrophobia a bit much :!:

Usually a stall holder, this year saw me attending as a regular public member and with my Hobbits (children) in tow. We went to meet and have pic taken with Jenna Louise Colman (Doctor Who) and ...I was going to meet my teen hero - Squeeeee!!!! Image

2.30pm rolled round and people tried to cue up for the signing event. The crowd organisers were thrown in the deep end with more people than ever to wrangle into an enormous conga line that snaked through the show (and probably beyond).

Luckily, I was within the first 15-20 feet of the signing table...about 25 people from the front, so we got to see Richard arrive and then watched patiently while all the VIP's got first dibs at the signing desk Image

...after 2 hours of complete stand-still the rest of us started to move forward.

If someone had told me at the age of 15 that I would someday meet Richard, I probably would have melted. At this stage in my life, my questions, the things to say all went out the window. BUT it was all in all by far one of my best Hero-meet experiences to date. While signing the chosen pic, he asked my how I was and we talked briefly about travel, of being tired and how he'd just seen Hobbiton, Matamata. Then....I asked if I was allowed to shake his hand please. At this, Richard gave me a surprised look :shock: What ...Why? ...(Me:) Why not. May I?...

Nice handshake, Mr Anderson. Pleasure to meet you Image

(I have to say that although you may be told that Matamata is "near Auckland" is is actually a 3 hours drive away and the road has many twists and turns.
It can be quite tiring, even as a passenger...let alone a jet-lagged one.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Mat ... 6143a2e1b0
~~ skipping through the applegrass ~~
tvero80

Re: RDA@Auckland Armageddon, NZ

Post by tvero80 »

Well AMG I know the feeling .I met him 5 months ago in Germany at the FedCon .Welcome to the club :)
Great experience,isn't it?Too bad it was overcrowded.Must be tiring and stressful for everyone.
V
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Thanks for the fantastic story AMG!!!
Lots of love,

Lies

cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

Welcome in the forum AMG and thanks for sharing your experience :D
Claudia
Caty

Post by Caty »

AMG wrote: Nice handshake, Mr Anderson. Pleasure to meet you Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for sharing, AMG :D
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
chebo

Post by chebo »

Hi
I would of loved to been able to make it up to Auckland to meet RDA but as things dont always work out it did'nt happen I have been an avid fan ever since RDA first screen in NZ with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers ,MacGyver and Stargate ..
Have always wanted to meet RDA in real life and now wih finding out haveing blladder cancer I can see my dream not comeing true :( life can be cruel but still hopeing and praying on miricals you are and always will be awesum RDA xxxxx
Caty

Post by Caty »

I'm so sorry to hear that, chebo.
There are no words to help you through this. But maybe being a member of this wonderful forum can distract you for a little while every day. Watching the pics of our hero may help you to find a little pleasure.
And always remember - having nice thoughts is a good way to support healing.
I hope you get better soon.

Greetings from the other side of the world :)
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

My thoughts and prayers are with you chebo. Stay strong and try to think positive thoughts.

HUGS

Pam
If you can't say anything nice.....

angc121

Post by angc121 »

I just met Richard yesterday at Armageddon in Auckland. Have been a huge fan for the last 30 or so years - first started watching MacGyver when I was about 10 or 11, then went on to be a big fan of Stargate SG1.
I never in my wildest dreams thought I would meet him (for a few seconds!!) & have a photo taken!!! I figured how many opportunities would I have in my life to do this, so thought you just have to!!!
He was really nice & was quite chuffed he said he liked my zombie t-shirt!!! Was buzzing on a high the rest of the day - even today!!! :D :D :D
Dollie_Mama

Post by Dollie_Mama »

Also sending my love & prayers, Chebo. ***HUG***