This gift would make RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON very happy :)

Firefly74

Re: This gift would make RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON very happy :)

Post by Firefly74 »

You're right Anne. The registration is a problem.
I clicked on the link and tried to registrate and the site sent me in circles.
Maybe I'm just a bit dumb, I don't know.
But I gave up because I was in a hurry. From my phone I can't see the whole site. Or I just can't find the registration.
...dumb issue again.... :oops:
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

It was a problem,indeed.I couldn't get the list of series at first so I had to find the legend url from imdb (and when I found it at last after many attempts they said they were sorry(woops) but legend was in their list !!! So I can understand some people give up for lack of time: they don't seem too eager to see us vote for it (but I did :D ,because unlike Firefly and maybe others I wasn't in a hurry so I tried again and again).
V
DUCKY

Post by DUCKY »

I know that this is not a 'oh let's click on that box' vote thingy. But it is also not that hard.

They just want to make sure real people are voting which is understandable.

So here is what to do to register:

You actually have to click the word 'register' on the right upper corner, then a form will come up where you fill in your first and last name, your email address, confirmation of email address, the state you live in and how many DVD's you buy on average.

Then and this is important and they especially point that out in the FAQ, they will send you a password to the email address you provided. With this password you can log into your account.

Once your logged in you put in 'Legend' in the search option. OK there are 36 TV series that include the word Legend but there is only one called simple 'LEGEND' Year was 1995.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just hoped that by giving people the link to How to vote FAQ they would read it and manage what then turns out to be an easy task. Or if they can't read it, that they, and that includes you 'FireFly', would ask for help. You like many others post a lot on the forum on a daily basis, so a short and simple 'Can someone help me please' would have sufficed.

I can't read minds. Not yet anyway. :P

The website doesn't make it super easy but it's not hard either.

The real problem here is, and I don't care if people bombard me with fruits and vegetable for what I say now, that most people probably are too damn lazy to read the instruction.

It reminds me a bit of what Kate said a while ago about the students she teaches these days. 'Most of them don't think for themselves in order to help themselves' or something along the line. One of the kids spilled some water on his/her desk and stood and looked like it was something he/she had never seen before and was the biggest problem in the world although they had paper towels in the classroom, which Kate pointed out to the kid.

I also see it very often that adults give up and don't think for at least a moment, if the tiniest obstacle should occur. And I know we all have jobs and stress but that I can understand, it's a 'I don't wanna invest anything to get something '- mindset, that gets to me. (Sorry for the rant but I needed to get that out of my system.)

Although this 'I only do it if it's very easy' attitude annoys me a little bit, I'm always happy to help.

I was thinking of emailing the website about making it user friendlier but I have a feeling they will tell me that for that reason they have a FAQ on how to vote.

People on Twitter and other social media have asked me for help and I always answered as soon as I could.

So let me tell you this, I'm as stubborn as a donkey and I can be patient as MacGyver. I won't stop until we are down to rank 1.

Here a little treat and incentive to make voting a little sweeter and even a win/win/win situation. :D

For every 10 votes that come in I will post a pic/photo that are rarely seen online.

When I was still collecting stuff, I managed to get a hold of some pretty cool stuff.

Two pics because we have reached 920 & 930.

By the way the firefighters ask celebrities for personal recipes of stuff they like.

Richard Dean Anderson didn't have one for chocolate cake and asked one of the cooks who provided catering for Stargate. This is the mmmhhh result.

When I went from vegetarian to vegan I substituted the cake recipe for one of a yummy vegan chocolate cake and cream with soy cream or a yummy vegan cream cheese. It tastes the same and makes me really happy.

Still I tried not to eat more than two pieces of cake a day. Key word is 'try'.

Enjoy pic & cake and have fun voting.

Ducky

Last edited by DUCKY on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
'LEGEND' will be out on DVD. Thanks to everyone who helped to make this happen. :)

Firefly74

Post by Firefly74 »

I really don't know if calling people lazy gets them to vote.
I'm on vacation at the moment.
And being called lazy or not willing enough doesn't want me to try again soon, even if I had a computer here.

Insulting people doesn't make them join you. Honestly.
DUCKY

Post by DUCKY »

I did not say you or anyone was lazy.

I said 'Most people probably are too lazy to read instructions.'

There is a big difference.

I said this because people have contacted me and asked how to vote and I always explained it nicely and also told them where to find the info in case the should need it, and then sometimes came a 'oh I didn't read the instruction'.

Thankfully all of those who asked me voted and told me so afterwards, but it made me come to the conclusion that probably most people who get the link don't read the instructions.

This would be probably frustrating to you as well if you had been in my shoes at the moment. So because I'm human, although I knew it might cause fruit and vegetable bombardment, I needed to rant a bit.

I did not intentionally insult you or anyone else. I was merely telling about what happened and my feelings and that it reminded me of one of Kate's experiences. Like you expressed your problem, I have a right to express mine.

It's not about trying to register again to join me or anyone else. I'm so not important here. It's about doing something for a man who is special to us all, to each in a unique way, and to get a series on DVD we would like to have. We all vote so the DVDs will be released.

When you vote, you do it for Richard Dean Anderson or/and for yourself.

Plus I said that the voting site wasn't set up super easy (and I thought of even writing to them) and I agree that it could be easier, but I don't think that they will change it soon. Nonetheless if you want to send them an email and let them know it's not so user friendly, I say go for it.

I hope you and everyone else can see from where I was coming.

In your case Firefly, I was wondering why you didn't ask for help, which is not a bad thing. I was just surprised by your 'So I gave up', but I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Just to make it clear, if someone has troubles to read the TVShowOnDVD page for whatever reason and needs help, please don't hesitate to ask. I gladly help, if I can.

Ducky
Last edited by DUCKY on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
'LEGEND' will be out on DVD. Thanks to everyone who helped to make this happen. :)

Anne

Post by Anne »

Hmmm.... I don't think most people are lazy at all. And when I said they want 'easy' I meant that not everyone is actually computer savvy enough or whatever to figure out where to find what or has time to spend ten minutes going through Q and A. It's not super hard to register on that site, but it's not really user-friendly either imho. I had trouble, too, when I registered with my second mail because the site DID sent me in circles, which meant it wouldn't take my password and kept sending me back to the register site. Which has nothing to do with reading Q and A. It was a glitch that took a while to go away. I had to give up and start again later, too.

And, yeah, if you want to register via your phone it's even more tricky because it doesn't display everything for some weird reason.

Anyway... my issue with havaing to register is that I'm just not comfortable to give away my e-mail address, name etc to so many websites. I had the same issue with the Billie site - when they wanted my phone number I quit because there was no valid reason to give it to them.

But that's just how I feel about it and I assume others have the same issues with registration.

But still I think this is the best way to get Legend on DVD so I hope we can get more votes as time goes by. Please keep voting - for the cause/DVDs or for RDA, whichever is your driving force for this.
DUCKY

Post by DUCKY »

Anne wrote:Hmmm.... I don't think most people are lazy at all. And when I said they want 'easy' I meant that not everyone is actually computer savvy enough or whatever to figure out where to find what or has time to spend ten minutes going through Q and A. It's not super hard to register on that site, but it's not really user-friendly either imho. I had trouble, too, when I registered with my second mail because the site DID sent me in circles, which meant it wouldn't take my password and kept sending me back to the register site. Which has nothing to do with reading Q and A. It was a glitch that took a while to go away. I had to give up and start again later, too.
Well, that totally sucks and is a total different thing than what happened to me with people contacting me on other social networks then finally telling me they haven't even read the FQA.

Being send in circles and not accepting the password is frustrating and we should tell the website organizers. Not sure if they can do something about it as it might be sometimes a temporarily glitch as you said, but they should know. Also about the phone issues.

It is save to say both experiences are annoying. I hope you guys felt better after sharing yours like I did after sharing mine.

I started the thread to get the thing going but I think it is from vital importance, when working on a long term project that you are able to share your experience/frustration, so you can go on afterwards.

We can only hope that those people who actually read the link, don't have troubles with their registration.

I have to add here, I had a lot of positive reaction as well before the 'non-readers' contacted me and got to me. About 10 people retweeted my post and send me tweets saying they hope that their followers on twitter and facebook will vote too. :)

That was great. Maybe the votes of some of their followers will come in within next days and weeks.

Anne wrote:Anyway... my issue with havaing to register is that I'm just not comfortable to give away my e-mail address, name etc to so many websites. I had the same issue with the Billie site - when they wanted my phone number I quit because there was no valid reason to give it to them.

But that's just how I feel about it and I assume others have the same issues with registration.
I normally don't like to give away private data either and understand the issue very well. In this case there is no other option unfortunately and it was the way how we got MACGYVER on DVD, so for me it was definitely worth it and I hope a lot of people can see that as well.

It's just like you said.

Anne wrote:But still I think this is the best way to get Legend on DVD so I hope we can get more votes as time goes by. Please keep voting - for the cause/DVDs or for RDA, whichever is your driving force for this.

Ducky

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

DUCKY wrote:it was the way how we got MACGYVER on DVD
It is true that many people used the tvshowsondvd site to show their support for MacGyver many years ago and that Paramount did eventually release MacGyver on DVD, but I don't think it can be said with certainty that one was the direct cause of the other. There are many factors that Paramount would consider, including letters and phone calls the studio received, evaluation of the market, and the most significant deciding factor - money.

At the same time, all those years ago, fans also voted for Legend, which is why so many of us can't vote again. But Legend just doesn't have the numbers that MacGyver did, so getting it on DVD is going to be a much harder struggle.

That said, one of the reasons that the tvshowsondvd site is used as a source of information is because it is "not easy." If people could simply click multiple times without verifying an identity, it would completely invalidate the results. But people have grown used to online voting where fake IDs and multiple votes are accepted, where little or no effort is expected, and where the assumption exists that this is all it takes to get what they want.

I'm afraid these recent posts have been giving me flashbacks to the BILLe Celebrity voting from 2013. What started out as a selfless gesture to honor RDA and support charity became a ruthless campaign focused on getting RDA's attention and pitting fans against each other. In the end, the whole thing was so uncomfortable that even though RDA got the most votes, he preferred not to accept the donation. (I still get asked about what happened there. Perhaps I should link the posts to the new Forum as a cautionary tale.)

Getting Legend on DVD would make a lot of people very happy, and so by all means I would encourage people to continue calling or writing to Paramount or to use sites like tvshowsondvd to voice their support. I have been making the same suggestion for years. Hopefully one day Paramount will believe that there is money to be made in the idea. But by the same token, reprimanding fans for not acting quickly enough to get the job done in time to impress RDA for his birthday is rather counterproductive.

Let's try to keep the tone as one of encouragement rather than frustration, and let's try to remember that voting for Legend began 10 years ago and getting it on DVD may take more years to accomplish. If/when it happens, many people will be happy, and RDA will be just one of those.

Kate
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Thank you Kate for your moderation.
The way the conversation developed, concerning a great topic at first, made me very sad.
V
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Yes, thanks, Kate for clarifying things. I voted and I hope others will too. But, as you said, Kate, it may take years more to get this goal accomplished. In the meantime, we can do whatever we can to help it along.
B