for the man's 65th birthday...

Kti

Re: for the man's 65th birthday...

Post by Kti »

Have we a concept now? Time is running, thats a fact!
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Hope everybody is voting on Legend on the moment!!
Lots of love,

Lies

xena

Post by xena »

hey guys,

time is running, that is right.. :)

i have something in mind; if i can explain it properly i hope many of you will like it..

a slide show where we, one by one, first choose one of his photos which we like and take a similar photo of ourselves.. and we first show his and ours..
the more funny is the photo the more is good.. i hope i could explain it, hard to express..

for ex. if you have a dog you can pose like this;

or if you have bird, pose like this.. i love this btw. :)

for sure they do not have to be with animals.. think about it and please let me know.. :)
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

I love it!!!!
Lots of love,

Lies

DUCKY

Post by DUCKY »

That's a great idea, xena. :)

If you are ok with this we maybe could combine your idea with something that was running around in my head for two weeks now.

My free time however was already dedicated to something else. :lol: I was really tired for the last two weeks and also I tried to get some work done.

I'm gonna post some of my ideas and may add more photos on Friday = today too tired.

So far we don't have a song yet, for the slide show or vid.

So I thought we could have a birthday message with two soundtracks fitting the clips and photos to speed of the songs. (I thought clips and photos would bring it more to life.)

Everyone said it should be funny, so how about we use the Legend song first and use bits and pieces from any kind of project or his real life where he is involved in a funny or cute kind of action

For example, there is a picture of him joggling in a New York Sports Muesum, the one time where Jack puts his head under the microscope and talks to Carter, or rides a bike through the SGC, Mac dressed as the joker. Rick squirting water through his teeth during behind the scenes filming of Stargate, on the ice with the little seal pup, Wylie and her dad wearing Shrek ears at the Shrek premiere. You get my drift.

In the end in could say something like. "Because you're legendary'" or "Even if you don't think so, we know you're legendary." So on your special day this is for you."

Then it goes over to Stevie Wonder's 'Happy Birthday to you''. I know it has been used a lot but not as bday vid for Richard Dean Anderson.

For this part of the message we could have the photos of him and then people who take picture of themselves in a similar way.

If they could have a sign in the picture saying 'Happy Birthday'' or something to that effect.

If people would like to send other photos of themselves, with their kids or maybe one that was taken together with Richard Dean Anderson at a convention, that's fine as well

I made a jpg file for Stickers and Postcards etc and would hold up a print out of that in my photo. :)

The photo is from 'Legend Memorabilia. I came up with the rest and changed the color of the photo, etc.

Anyone who would like to put the 'Wanted' pic in their photo would be welcomed to do so. This way Richard Dean Anderson could actually see 'How much 'Legend' is 'Wanted'. :D

The program I used at the printing company was cool, but if you look closely the word 'WANTED' is not really in the middle. They said they can fix it before they would print the stickers but it seems they forgot. I only realized it when I looked at one of the 40 stickers later when I was already Fedcon.

They assured me though they would fix it when I go there tomorrow or on Friday. (Also a reason why I thought I post later because I wanted to have the perfect file.)

Btw we can just use the first verse and chorus of the 'Happy Birthday' song and repeat once, in case you don't wanna use the rest because it was originally dedicated to Martin Luther King. When it says 'Happy Birthday to you' it would be cool if there was always a photo of him to go together with the 'you'.

Let me know what you think.

So I'm off to bed now.

Good night

Ducky
Last edited by DUCKY on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
'LEGEND' will be out on DVD. Thanks to everyone who helped to make this happen. :)

katann69

Post by katann69 »

I think what would really be cool is a photo of his two dogs being held with Wylie. I have only seen photos of the dogs only and not all three of them together. Maybe Kate and arrange something for us by having her ask Wylie to send some selfies pictures of herself and the dogs?

K
Kti

Post by Kti »

O.K. Time is running, that's right. And I'm not in the position to express what I really think. First of my question is how many want to work on this project? All ideas I saw here are good. But we get no concept. Pardon me if I repeat myself, but something like the birthday websites from Kates features could be a good template. Who could create it... if not Kate does.

That was also a nice idea so I think, but not really much persons have participated. This would be sad if we have the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTorwKaYYwE

During I've watched I got a new idea. It could be nice, if everybody shows his national flag somewhere in a little corner or... So to demonstrate there are fans all around the world. Of course he knows it! It's only came into my brain.

Phew! grammatical jumble :oops:! Excuse me. No time to do it better... time is running
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Kti wrote:something like the birthday websites from Kates features could be a good template. Who could create it... if not Kate does.
My name keeps popping up on this thread, so I'll add a few thoughts.

Way back in the early days, before yahoo groups and website forums and social media, "the" online group of RDA fans was the MacList, which had only a couple hundred members. Our first attempt at sending birthday wishes to RDA happened in 1999, when his assistant gave us the suggestion to support the Challengers Club and honor him with a "birthday brick."

For the next six years, various other ideas were used, usually involving a website with fan messages, videos, photos, etc, and sometimes also including donations to charity. The 2001 donation to the Klahoose Nation was one example of this, in which fans sent messages on actual postcards that represented their home countries, and money donated to Chief Kathy Francis helped to support that First Nation's efforts to protect their lands through eco-tourism. (The hiking/rafting trips to Headwall Canyon, which RDA and Robert Kennedy participated in, were part of that program.)

As the years progressed, as the online fan base grew, as more options for social media arose, the number of online RDA fans exploded. I found it nearly impossible to keep up with the number of birthday greetings sent by fans and to get them formatted for the website in time for his birthday. (This was especially difficult since fans realized that the messages would appear with the most recent first, so hundreds or even thousands of people would wait until the last minute to send their messages in order to be at the top of the list.) Also, collecting donations for a single charity became more difficult with so many different currencies, and since RDA supports a number of different charities it seemed preferable for people to choose the charity they wished to support.

So, in 2006, I changed the way birthday wishes were done on the website. I set up the Fan Mail page so that fans could leave personal messages that RDA could access on his birthday or at any time at all. And I set up the Charity page so that fans could make a donation from virtually any country to the charity of their choice and RDA would be able to see not only the total dollars increasing but could also receive the personal messages that accompanied the donations. Since then, each year in honor of RDA's birthday, fans are invited to leave a message on the Fan Mail page and to make a donation if they choose.

I wasn't sure how often RDA might stop by to read the messages or to see the accumulating donations, but it was one of the topics that came up when we had a chance to talk last month in Baltimore. He expressed amazement at the number of messages that have been sent to the site. I wondered aloud if he had noticed the Charity page recently, since there must be at least $20,000 worth of donations there. He gave his broad impish smile and declared proudly, "Twenty-two!" So it does seem that he sees and appreciates the messages and donations year-round.

For these reasons, I haven't prepared a "special" website or project for his birthday for the past 8 years or so. That being said, nothing is preventing fans from creating something special to honor his special day. While I had no plans to create a special webpage to add to the site as we had done in the past, I am certainly happy to help with something else, if my help is needed.

Kate
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

Thanks for the input Kate. Although there have been some good suggestions for celebrating RDA 65th, I think I'll go with the donations. The less complicated things are the better -at least for me.
If you can't say anything nice.....

Stoneridge

Post by Stoneridge »

I agree with Pam, I think Rick being the humble person that he is, would appreciate this kind of gesture much more than anything else. Especially if it was gifted in honour of him.

A great sentiment is sharing what somebody is passionate about in perhaps that you can make a small difference, but in great numbers you can make a huge difference to the lives of many and not just one. That's an awesome gift in my book at least.

T
Clean/Green NZ
Take only photos, leave only footprints.