Video

KateR
Site Admin

Video

Post by KateR »

It has been an ongoing battle to find a way to post videos without relying on a third-party service like YouTube (which can shut you down for posting copyrighted material), which will work both on computers and mobile devices, and which will not completely drain my bandwidth (and cost me a fortune).

As far as I can tell, the technology is currently somewhere between the older devices that relied on Flash, the newer devices that are adopting HTML5, and the mobile devices in between that don't like Flash but are not necessarily ready for HTML5.

BUT, I may be coming closer to a solution. Want to help me out?

I have posted another video test here:

http://rdanderson.com/videotest

It would help me if a bunch of people tried it out on a bunch of different devices, and let me know if it worked.

I've tried it on FireFox 30.0, Internet Explorer 11, an old iPhone 5, and a new Android Galaxy S 5, and they all worked, so I'm feeling hopeful.

Thanks!

Kate
xena

Re: Video

Post by xena »

it worked with google chrome too..on a laptop..
Jemster

Post by Jemster »

KateR wrote:
BUT, I may be coming closer to a solution. Want to help me out?

Kate
Same here. Chrome on a laptop. Worked for me as well.

Michelle
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

xena wrote:it worked with google chrome too..on a laptop..
Thanks, xena and Michelle.

So far no one has said that they *can't* see it, so I'm hoping that is a good sign. (Usually when I post new videos, I only hear from the people who complain that it won't appear on their mobile devices.)

I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying for the software that can do this, and then to redesign the Video Gallery. The videos are larger, and should be able to be viewed full screen, so that is an advantage if they don't drain my bandwidth.

BTW, this is not the same link as the one we were trying out in the chat Saturday night. So if you were one of the people in the chat who was having trouble getting it to appear on an early Kindle Fire, I'd appreciate knowing if this one works any better.

Thanks!

Kate
taxi

Post by taxi »

Nice video , thank you !!
Karyyl

Post by Karyyl »

Worked great on Safari on a medium-old Mac running Snow Leopard (10.6.8)

Is there a way to donate to the costs of this site? I donate to the other forum I spend lots and lots of time on, ECF.

I couldn't see Firehouse well-enough to watch it at all, and I'm totally up for watching RDA.
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

Internet Explorer 10, no prob
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

I'm using Internet Explorer 9 on a laptop and it worked, even if a little slow in uploading, but maybe it's normal. I like that video :D :D :D
Claudia
Caty

Post by Caty »

Works fine with Windows 7 and Firefox 31.0 :D
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Working fine with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer version 9 on a laptop.

And, I too like that video! Doesn't RDA look spectacular in it? :D

Thanks Kate for all you do to get these videos posted and working so well. Looking forward to even more improvements! :D
B