MysteryKnitter

Re: Astra's other figures in action

Post by MysteryKnitter »

Simply amazing!
Best: MK
Anne

Post by Anne »

I love love love your Jack O'Neill in Dress Blues. He looks GREAT. I always hoped they would release the O'Neill dress blues figure they planned to bring out, but it never happened. Yours is awesome. I lack the talent and eye-hand coordination to craft one myself, so I only get to buy figures who are already finished (I only colored my 12inch Jack's hair and gave him the eyebrow scar).

I bow to your talent and all the work you are putting into your figures. Great great job!
MysteryKnitter

Post by MysteryKnitter »

Astra knows her figures, if you ask me.
Astra

Post by Astra »

Anne wrote:I love love love your Jack O'Neill in Dress Blues. He looks GREAT. I always hoped they would release the O'Neill dress blues figure they planned to bring out, but it never happened. Yours is awesome.
Yeah, that last wave that not happened was awesome. Also General Hammond and Ba'al, and that serpent guard. I would have loved to have these. Also there was a black ops Sam planned.

Thank you very much! If you would like to see step-by-step pictures how I made him, please go here:

http://dieastra.livejournal.com/17055.html
Anne wrote:I lack the talent and eye-hand coordination to craft one myself, so I only get to buy figures who are already finished
As you can see from my pictures, there really isn't much I did actually. Just a repaint of the suit and a few extras. Maybe you want to give it a try?
Anne wrote:(I only colored my 12inch Jack's hair and gave him the eyebrow scar).
Great! I also want to thank you. Many many years ago, it was your pictures of Jack and Daniel in shirt and suit resp. jeans which convinced me to buy the 12" figures. I had wanted to skip them at first, as the faces are not so nicely done like the small ones. But your pictures showed me the potential that is there, with the more joints, and better natural poses, and other clothes. Now my figures have more and better clothes than I LOL
And while these are mere cheap toys, I also have ended up in the high end collectors market. There is a new Kirk and Spock coming out later this year which are amazing. Nobody before got William Shatner's face right, this is the first time.

There is something I did yesterday and of which I am very proud so I want to share it in here. I am so happy about my new camera which does pictures well in the dark. My old one would have not been able to. Please note the street lantern which is lit up (I had to put a German plug onto it as the British plug did not fit the socket) and also the traffic light in the corner, which I borrowed from my brother. It switches from red to green all the time and is simply awesome.

The story was done for a friend who likes the Tenth Doctor and Batman, so I invented this:

And some behind the scenes of my kitchen table. Doesn't this look professional? Next - animated movies ;)

I made the windows with just black paper and drew the frame with a crayon:

I used it also for the streets:

MysteryKnitter

Post by MysteryKnitter »

I can't but admire your skills.
Anne

Post by Anne »

Astra wrote:Yeah, that last wave that not happened was awesome. Also General Hammond and Ba'al, and that serpent guard. I would have loved to have these. Also there was a black ops Sam planned.

Thank you very much! If you would like to see step-by-step pictures how I made him, please go here:

http://dieastra.livejournal.com/17055.html
Yes, I saw this before. I think you shared that link with me before. My problem is my very bad eyesight so I would not be able to paint all these small body parts and make it look good. I'm much better at computer art :) I did try to re-paint my kid's Barbie kitchen to make it suitable for J and D, but it always looked awful after that. 'sighs'
Astra wrote: Great! I also want to thank you. Many many years ago, it was your pictures of Jack and Daniel in shirt and suit resp. jeans which convinced me to buy the 12" figures. I had wanted to skip them at first, as the faces are not so nicely done like the small ones. But your pictures showed me the potential that is there, with the more joints, and better natural poses, and other clothes. Now my figures have more and better clothes than I LOL
And while these are mere cheap toys, I also have ended up in the high end collectors market. There is a new Kirk and Spock coming out later this year which are amazing. Nobody before got William Shatner's face right, this is the first time.
Really? How cool. There was a new McCoy recently - I think last year or in 2014 - who looked extremely lifelike and I wanted to have him badly, but he was very expensive and I spent my fandom money on London last year, lol.
Astra

Post by Astra »

Anne wrote:
Astra wrote:Really? How cool. There was a new McCoy recently - I think last year or in 2014 - who looked extremely lifelike and I wanted to have him badly, but he was very expensive and I spent my fandom money on London last year, lol.
That must have been surely Nanjin's figure. He is a fan who did these figures out of love and wanting the best, but it was a very limited and also expensive run. In all the 50 years of Star Trek, there never has been a good official collector's figure, only toys and dolls which were cheaply made.

The good thing is, that Nanjin is now officially working for QMX (Quantum Mechanix) which is now doing these figures but with his heads etc. And there will be enough for everyone. Have a look around for pictures! If you are interested, I can give you an UK link as ordering from the US will be too expensive. And I sure hope that McCoy will be next! We hope that the line is going for a while and doing all the bridge crew, when it sells well, and I don't see why it shouldn't.
Astra

Post by Astra »

Are there any Star Trek fans in here? I want to show off some pictures I recently took with the new Quantum Mechanix Kirk and Spock figures. I am totally smitten with them and I also feel that my photographing skills have improved a lot. I do in fact plan to get a book printed with these, one that will look like those professional coffee table books ;)

A scene from the episode "Requiem for Methuselah":

The next two are supposed to show the sometimes very colorful fake backgrounds they had for "outdoor" scenes actually shot in the studio:

A scene from the episode "This Side Of Paradise":

This one was done for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek last Thursday:

Caty

Post by Caty »

Here! I've been a Startrek fan, especially for the TOS-Series.
And deep in my heart I'm still a trekkie, I guess.
Those figures have a lot more resemblence to the actors than the stargate figures, that's a shame.
And your pics are great, as usual! Thank you!
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
Astra

Post by Astra »

Caty wrote:Here! I've been a Startrek fan, especially for the TOS-Series.
And deep in my heart I'm still a trekkie, I guess.
Those figures have a lot more resemblence to the actors than the stargate figures, that's a shame.
And your pics are great, as usual! Thank you!
Yeah, the Stargate ones were mere toys and rather cheap. These are much better but also much more expensive. But I happily pay §179 when I get such good quality for it.

Let me know if you are interested in buying them - I have a link of an UK shop which is cheaper than letting them shipped from America. They plan to do the whole crew, we already saw some pictures of Bones and Sulu and Scotty at San Diego Comic Con. This is only the start!

I'm a very new fan, I only started to watch TOS last May. You know we didn't have West Germany TV in Dresden back then ;) I'm happy I came in time for the 50th anniversary, even met William Shatner at Fedcon this year. And I am a huge fan of "Star Trek Continues". Check that out if you don't know it.