why can't I watch the videos on my phone? seeking help...

rjas441

why can't I watch the videos on my phone? seeking help...

Post by rjas441 »

I've searched this topic on the forum & can't find the answer.
I use an Android phone & when I click to watch a video a description of the video pops up as a gray overlay over the video with the play arrow in the middle of the screen; but won't play. Do I have to do something special to my phone? I've never had problems watching videos on my phone from any form of social media.
bftlovesRDA

Re: why can't I watch the videos on my phone? seeking help...

Post by bftlovesRDA »

I don't know how things work on an Android phone. I use a computer to view videos from here. But when I was having problems viewing the videos, someone here suggested I switch my browser to Google Chrome. I had been using firefox. I did that (switched my browser to Google Chrome) and it worked - I could see the videos. Again, this probably will not help you but just thought I would give you this information.

Maybe someone will come along who can help you with the Android phone. Or you can send a Private Message to Kate and ask her if she knows the answer.

Good luck! :) :) :)
B
rjas441

Post by rjas441 »

Bftlovesrda,
Thank you very much. I will see what I can find on my phone regarding that. I have a 10 year old laptop; but no internet/cable. Just Internet on my phone. Plus I can't hook my phone into old laptop to watch videos. It stinks. But oh well. Yes, hopefully someone with an Android or knowledge of this problem could help me. Again, tyvm.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

It's more likely a problem with the server.

I have an Android phone, and the videos do play properly there, but sometimes when the server is overloaded, not all the videos will fully load. Then you get either the play button that does nothing, or the "spinning circle of death" as it tries to load. And the problem is, you never know which ones will play at any given time - it's completley random.

One way to tell is to look in the lower left corner of the image. It should show the length of the video in minutes, for example:

0:00 / 27:12

If there is nothing after the 0:00, then the video didn't load, and I haven't figured out how to force it to reload.

The good news is that I've been approached by two people who are willing to help and might have a server option that will make this Gallery more reliable. I'm hoping to pick up the conversation again now that the holidays have passed, and hopefully there will be a solution.

In the meatime you can try clicking on other videos to see if they are loading. Or, I find that trying in the middle of the night helps.

I've been adding new videos every few days as I work my way through updating the Updates section (I'm now all the way back to 2003 - yay!), and it's usually the middle of the night when I upload the new batch. I test them all, and they all seem to play fine then.

Sorry this is still an issue, but these servers just weren't meant to host hundreds of videos. I'm still working on it.

Kate
rjas441

Post by rjas441 »

Kate, tyvm
I've tried watching over a dozen & nothing.
Wish I knew how to post the screenshot here so you can see. It's crazy looking
Beata

Post by Beata »

rjas441 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Kate, tyvm
I've tried watching over a dozen & nothing.
Wish I knew how to post the screenshot here so you can see. It's crazy looking

Try downloading Google chrome app on your phone and then on that app put www.rdanderson.com. That has been working for me, I had trouble at first viewing them too, but now they work like a charm.

love,
Beata
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver
rjas441

Post by rjas441 »

DARN, I'm on Google chrome...... this is so frustrating.
Beata

Post by Beata »

[bby rjas441 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 pm

DARN, I'm on Google chrome...... this is so frustrating.][/b]
Sorry that did not work for you, other than that I have no idea. Do you have another electronic device you could use?
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver
rjas441

Post by rjas441 »

Hopefully I'll be getting a newer (still old) phone. Mines ancient, but without a monthly check I have to wait. I still have so much fun stuff to read on here. I can watch videos later.
Beata

Post by Beata »

y rjas441 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Hopefully I'll be getting a newer (still old) phone. Mines ancient, but without a monthly check I have to wait. I still have so much fun stuff to read on here. I can watch videos later.
I understand those darn Iphones are pricey, I just recently got mine, I had to wait too. The stories are great !

love,
Beata