Forum Update

KateR
Site Admin

Forum Update

Post by KateR »

You may have noticed a new look on the Forum today.

There was an issue over the weekend where some malicious file, probably inserted by one of the spambots trying to register on the forum, got into the system and was sending out spam at a rate of thousands per hour.

My ISP helped me get rid of the problem, and I updated the Forum to a newer version, so it has a slightly different look, but it should still be working as before.

This brings up the issue of security, however. I use CAPTCHA, and a security question, AND admin approval for new members, plus new members are moderated until I know they are human. So far, the system has worked fairly well, and I've caught and blocked quite a few spammers, but as viruses become more sophisticated, problems can still arise in spite of it all.

For this reason, I'm considering shutting down the registration page altogether and just asking people to email me if they would like to join so that I can register them manually. I haven't decided for sure yet - I'll sort of see how this new phpBB version works first.

I'm only mentioning it here so that registered members and unregistered visitors know what has been happening. Several of the newly registered members are suspicious since they never return after registration, even as lurkers. So I may be deleting any member I don't recognize who never returned after registration, assuming they had other reasons for joining. This won't affect any regular visitors, but if you see the membership numbers suddenly drop, you'll know why. :)

In the meantime, all is well, and over the next few days I'll decide the best way to handle the security and registration.

Thanks to all the members and visitors who keep the Forum going. :)

Kate
CMac

Re: Forum Update

Post by CMac »

Thank you for the update, Kate.

I did notice something unusual when I tried to log in over the weekend, where it took me to the phpBB main page instead of this one. I thought it was just me. :)

Thanks for keeping us safe! :)
Caty

Post by Caty »

Thanks for the update, Kate. Although it's a different kind this time :lol: :lol:
I just logged it and - ups - a new look! And it looks good :)
Just a few days ago I scrolled through the member lists and was wondering why some people only write once and never again.
Deleting those members won't hurt them, I guess.
Thank god, I've been here a few times after registration, so I'll stay ;)
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

What a fantastic update Kate, THANK YOU!! I love it!!!!!!!!
Lots of love,

Lies

Cindy61

Post by Cindy61 »

I like the new look!! :D Thank you Kate for the update!!!!!!
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Looks good :)
Somewhat unusually, on the cell phone, I can not see if someone has posted something new.
But that's no problem :D

For what are the notifications?

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

JackGywer wrote:Looks good :)
Somewhat unusually, on the cell phone, I can not see if someone has posted something new.

:lol: that was my question to till you posted a new reply in this topic, I had one notification :lol:
Lots of love,

Lies

JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Annelies wrote:

:lol: that was my question to till you posted a new reply in this topic, I had one notification :lol:

Oh,I see :lol: :lol:

J.K.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Some things are in different places, but the new version of the forum is still working on my phone for me.

Before, there used to be a link near the upper left to view new messages since your last visit. Now, instead, in the upper left, you see something called "Quick links" and the drop-down menu includes "New posts" so you should still be able to go directly to new posts as before.
That confused me, too, especially since the board used to send me an email whenever someone new tried to register or when someone sent a PM, and after the update it stopped doing that. It took me a lot of exploring and clicking to figure out where the setting was for that, but try this:

In the upper right corner, click on your name, and the drop-down menu includes User Control Panel. Then click on the tab for "Board Preferences" and on the left at the bottom is the link for "Edit Notification Options." There you can decide if you want the board to either show a notification on your next visit or send you an email for all sorts of different things, like private messages or when someone quotes or responds to one of your messages.

I'm still discovering some of the little differences in this new format myself! :)

Kate
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Oh thank you Kate, you've helped me :D
By properly setting the hooks,I get exactly by email,what I want,no more,no less. Thank you :D
The rest i will figure out ;)

J.K.