Forum Update

frenchwriter

Re: Forum Update

Post by frenchwriter »

Thank you Kate for these information...and the new apparence of the forum. I'm going to study the new look and the new links ...

It's a pity to see spambots everywhere... until on our forum...
And Kate has to play " the policewoman" ... ;)

It's right, we can see a lot of members; but, often, no message...
Some cleaning will be a good thing... Thank you Kate... We love to be between real "wild loyalists" ;)
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

I have a question about the 'anonymous' thing, Kate.
I'm reported as anonymous but my username appears (in italics) at the bottom anyway. Am I the only one to see it ? Or does everybody know that the one who tries to hide in a very silly (useless) way is me ? In that case I won't hide anymore . ;)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

tvero80 wrote:I have a question about the 'anonymous' thing, Kate.
I'm reported as anonymous but my username appears (in italics) at the bottom anyway. Am I the only one to see it ? Or does everybody know that the one who tries to hide in a very silly (useless) way is me ? In that case I won't hide anymore . ;)
My understanding is that when you choose to be "hidden" when you log in, your name appears only to you, and in italics. As an administrator, I can see everyone, but I don't think anyone else will see the hidden names. The math seems to work out properly this way - the main page shows the number of registered, hidden, and guests, and the hidden ones are in italics.

This is the way the forum worked before the update - I could see the hidden people in italics but no one else should have been able to see them. Do you mean that before the update, you couldn't see yourself in italics either?

If you want to be sure, try asking (PMing) a friend in real time to see if they can see you when you log in.

Kate
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Thanks Kate. I see a person who's hidden at present but not a name (your name maybe?) .
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

tvero80 wrote:Thanks Kate. I see a person who's hidden at present but not a name (your name maybe?) .

I see two hidden members ;)

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

KateR wrote:
For what are the notifications?
That confused me, too, especially since the board used to send me an email whenever someone new tried to register or when someone sent a PM, and after the update it stopped doing that. It took me a lot of exploring and clicking to figure out where the setting was for that, but try this:

In the upper right corner, click on your name, and the drop-down menu includes User Control Panel. Then click on the tab for "Board Preferences" and on the left at the bottom is the link for "Edit Notification Options." There you can decide if you want the board to either show a notification on your next visit or send you an email for all sorts of different things, like private messages or when someone quotes or responds to one of your messages.

I'm still discovering some of the little differences in this new format myself! :)

Kate
Don't have to do a thing. I get the emails, and when I'm on the forum I see how much notifications I have, handy!!! There is 1 bot online (Bing bot) at the moment...
Lots of love,

Lies

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Annelies wrote:There is 1 bot online (Bing bot) at the moment...
There are a few bots that come by regularly (nearly every day), but they aren't the problem. They are the ones that search websites to index them for search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo.

The dangerous bots disguise themselves as people. :evil: I just deleted another one this morning from the Ukraine. <sigh>

Kate
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Oh, BTW, the server that hosts my website is in Florida. And at the moment, Hurricane Matthew is heading for Florida.

I just got an email from the ISP saying that they are preparing and are hoping that all systems will remain online, but there is a possibility for some downtime.

So... if the site suddenly disappears, worry not. It's not bots - it's Matthew.

Everyone on the east coast, stay safe!

Kate
CMac

Post by CMac »

Ooo...that is a little scary. :shock:

Yes, everyone in that part of the world please stay safe!
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Yeah, certainly is!! I hope everyone stays save and Matthew will calm down soon!!
Lots of love,

Lies