Currently Reading

Jemster

Currently Reading

Post by Jemster »

On the old forum there was a thread about what members were currently reading and I wanted to continue it here. So, if you are an avid reader, like I am, or just picked something up because you were bored then please post it here.

I'll start. I'm currently reading, "Wet Mind: The New Cognitive Neuroscience" by Stephen Michael Kosslyn and Olivier Koenig. I tend to read a lot of non-fiction and this year I'm concentrating on reading about the brain. Really interesting so far (both the book and the subject matter) so I think it'll hold my interest for a while longer. :)

Michelle
Mac/Jack#1fan

Re: Currently Reading

Post by Mac/Jack#1fan »

What am I reading?

Well, I used to be a bigger reader then I am now, but I do still enjoy a good book.

Right now I'm in the middle of "Fanta C" By Sandra Brown. She is my all time favorite writer...well, so far ;) Someone else will probably come along some day with an exciting new series that will amaze me lol ;) :)

But for now, I love all of Sandra Brown's books. I've read almost all of them.

Besides that, I've been reading lots of fanfiction. I'm a HUGE fanfic reader, and I respect all the authors who put their time into thinking up such awesome stories. For the time being, I've been reading a lot of MacGyver fanfiction :D "Hockey Lesson" by Jediferret is my personal favorite ;) :D Followed by "Wrong Side Of The Tracks" By Whaledreams
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

Hurrah for the reading thread! I was just thinking it would be great to get one going.

Mac/Jack, have you read Lothithil's MacFic? Hers is the best I've ever read -- I got back into fic writing because of her! (For that matter, have you read mine?)

Let's see. I usually have more than one book going at once, in different formats. At the moment, I'm re-reading P. C. Hodgell's classic fantasy "The Dark of the Moon" in dead-tree form, and reading Ivan Doig's "Sweet Thunder" on my iPad when I'nm at the gym. In addition, I usually listen to audiobooks during the 1.5-2 hours I spend commuting each day: at the moment, I'm listening to Patrick O'Brian's "The Surgeon's Mate", also on my iPad, using Overdrive. This is also a re-read, since I've already been through all the Aubrey/Maturin books. "The Surgeon's Mate" is one of my favourites in that series, so I picked it out for a fond revisit.
Mac/Jack#1fan

Post by Mac/Jack#1fan »

MacBeth wrote:Mac/Jack, have you read Lothithil's MacFic? Hers is the best I've ever read -- I got back into fic writing because of her! (For that matter, have you read mine?)
Actually, no, I haven't read any of Lothithil's Macfac's....but now I'm going to. You've made me curious :) I can't wait check hers out :) I'm always interested in checking out new fanfics, and new authors/authoresses :)

And YES! I've read your MacFics :) They are REALLY good :D "Aftershocks" is one of my favorites.....and so is :oops: :oops: :oops: "Tutorial" :oops: :oops: :oops: ;) VERY WELL WRITTEN ;)

But YAY! I can't wait to check out Lothithil's stuff! :D Thanks for the recommendation :D
Jediferret

Post by Jediferret »

I've also read some of your fanfics, along with Lothithil's. ^_^ I'm actually more of a writer than a reader, but I do read on occasion. I'm currently (and have been for some time) been working on a book trilogy of my own. It's evolved over the years into a more solid idea, and I write fanfiction to practice and challenge myself. :)
"Life is more important than what we do for a living." - Richard Dean Anderson
"That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney
Caty

Post by Caty »

That's the right thread for me, I'm never found without something to read.
But it's different if I'm at home or at work (only during the breakes ;) ), in bed, dentist, doctor, train ....

At home I mostly read scientific books about astronomy, cause I'm writing reviews of them for a large german astronomy forum.
So now I'm reading "Faszination Astronomie" (Fascination astronomy).

But like tomorrow, when I'm travelling to Berlin for a congres I'm reading lots and lots of fanfiction on my ebook reader :D
Mostly Sam&Jack-fanfictions :oops:

Can't help myself, deep down inside me I'm a hopeless romantic ;)
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
Mac/Jack#1fan

Post by Mac/Jack#1fan »

Caty wrote: I'm reading lots and lots of fanfiction on my ebook reader :D
Mostly Sam&Jack-fanfictions :oops:

Can't help myself, deep down inside me I'm a hopeless romantic ;)
Me too Caty ;) I'm a big Jack/Sam shipper. I like things heavy on the romance :oops: ;) Its all part of being a hopeless romantic ;) :D I think I've read EVERY Jack/Sam fanfic there is :)
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

I have a lovely new item to add to the Currently Reading list: I just finished Wintersmith, by Terry Pratchett. It is WONDERFUL. It's one of the Tiffany Aching books.
Jemster

Post by Jemster »

I'm reading two books at the moment (which I almost never do. I like to concentrate on one book, get that done, and then move onto the next one), Anyway, they are:

Quest: The Essence of Humanity by Charles Pasternick. General theme of the book is that searching, whether for information about the world, a way to make life easier, or a new place to live is what drives humanity.

How to Be a Really Good Pain in the Ass. A Critical Thinkers Guide to Asking the Right Questions by Christoper DiCarlo.
EDIT: Finished the book yesterday (05/10/14). Gave it 3.5/5 stars.

Michelle
Last edited by Jemster on Sun May 11, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caty

Post by Caty »

Jemster wrote: How to Be a Really Good Pain in the Ass. A Critical Thinkers Guide to Asking the Right Questions by Christoper DiCarlo.

Michelle
Did Jack read that book? Sometimes he could be "a really good pain in the ass", especially for Daniel ;)

I'm actually reading some heavy and very dry historic stuff:
"Advancing Variable Star Astronomy" - The centennial history of the American Association of Variable Star Observers.

First I couldn't get into the book but now, after more than 50 pages, it becomes interesting :)
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)