How To Do Things on the FORUM - and other tips

bftlovesRDA

How To Do Things on the FORUM - and other tips

Post by bftlovesRDA »

We have quite a few new members on our wonderful forum who might like to learn how to do some things that are not obvious on here.

(Some of us oldies might like new information on things as well).

I immediately thought of a few "how to" subjects - and thought a thread that explained these "how to's" might be good - and I couldn't find one - so here this is.

I thought we could list the SUBJECTS and then some brave soul could come on here and explain how to do that topic.

For instance, here are some subjects for explanations:
  • How to join the forum (this is not as easy to figure out as it seems it should be)
    How to get an Avatar you want
    How to get a signature banner
    How to post photos of RDA
    How to post other graphics or poems or such
    How to send and receive private messages
    How to manage your private messages (so they don't get 100% full)
    How to respect the etiquette of the forum
    How to type in bold, large, colorful fonts or in list
    How to use the quote function
And I am sure there are many more "how to" subjects.

Who will "volunteer" to take a subject and tell about "how to" do that subject? I realize this is going to take some work...but maybe it will be worth it.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by bftlovesRDA on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
bftlovesRDA

Re: How To Do Things on the FORUM - and other tips

Post by bftlovesRDA »

How to post a photo of RDA: (Here's how I do it - there may be other methods)
  • FIND a photo you want to post = photos of RDA can be found on this website many places and can be found at other places on the web such as Gateworld.net.

SAVE that photo to your computer hard drive

GO TO Photobucket and create an account there. Then go to "Library" on your photobucket home page and "Create a new album". (Name your album something that makes sense to you so you can find the photos you are uploading later). Find your album on the left and click on it and an outlined box will come up - that says "Click to upload" - click on that and it should take you back to your location on your hard drive of the photo you want to upload. Click on the photo you are wanting to post and it will upload to photobucket (in the album you have created). Guide your cursor over the photo that is now in your photobucket album and in the upper left corner, 3 short lines will appear. Hold your cursor over those 3 lines and click on the option that says "share". A large white box will appear, and on the right side click on "IMG" and it should turn yellow and say "copied".

GO TO the thread on our forum where you want to post the photo, and in the posting box either hit CTRL + V or right click and hit "Paste"...and the link to the photo from photobucket should come up.

When you are done with your post to the thread, click on PREVIEW and if everything looks good, hit SUBMIT.
That's how I do it. There is probably an easier way but it works for me, so that's how I do it. If others want to share another method, please do.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

How to Join the Forum:
  • ON the upper right corner of the Log In page on the forum page, click on "Register"

That takes you to a page of agreements – where you read the terms and you agree with the terms of membership….then it takes you to the registration page.

You fill in your registration information – you choose a Username, enter your email address and then confirm it, Then you put in a password and confirm the password. Then you use a drop down list to choose your time zone from. Then it asks a question, which you answer. And then click submit.

After that, Kate, the owner of the website, will communicate with your email address to let you know if you are confirmed to join. (I am not sure of this part since it has been 18 months or so since I joined). I also believe that you have a “probation” period where you cannot post on the website or send and receive private messages right off the bat. But that “probation” period does not last long. If you have an issue with anything in the registration period you can email Kate at mail@rdanderson.com.
Once you are "in" the forum, feel free to post to any thread, observing the good etiquette rules that make sense. Your opinions and comments are just as welcome as anybody else's.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

bftlovesRDA wrote:We have quite a few new members on our wonderful forum who might like to learn how to do some things that are not obvious on here.

I immediately thought of a few "how to" subjects - and thought a thread that explained these "how to's" might be good - and I couldn't find one - so here this is.

I thought we could list the SUBJECTS and then some brave soul could come on here and explain how to do that topic.

• How to join the forum (this is not as easy to figure out as it seems it should be)

Who will "volunteer" to take a subject and tell about "how to" do that subject? I realize this is going to take some work...but maybe it will be worth it.

Thanks in advance.
I didn't think this topic would receive a lot of replies....but....not to worry.....there are many on here who will help if you are a "newbie" and need to find out how to do something.

You can:
  • Ask Kate
    Ask another member through Private Messages (PM)
    Come to this thread and post a question
Good luck in all things related to rdanderson.com forum - to all newbies. You are very welcome....and hope to see you posting around the forum. Your ideas and comments are just as important as those of us "oldies".
B
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

bftlovesRDA wrote:How to post a photo of RDA: (Here's how I do it - there may be other methods)
  • FIND a photo you want to post = photos of RDA can be found on this website many places and can be found at other places on the web such as Gateworld.net.

SAVE that photo to your computer hard drive

GO TO Photobucket and create an account there. Then go to "Library" on your photobucket home page and "Create a new album". (Name your album something that makes sense to you so you can find the photos you are uploading later). Find your album on the left and click on it and an outlined box will come up - that says "Click to upload" - click on that and it should take you back to your location on your hard drive of the photo you want to upload. Click on the photo you are wanting to post and it will upload to photobucket (in the album you have created). Guide your cursor over the photo that is now in your photobucket album and in the upper left corner, 3 short lines will appear. Hold your cursor over those 3 lines and click on the option that says "share". A large white box will appear, and on the right side click on "IMG" and it should turn yellow and say "copied".

GO TO the thread on our forum where you want to post the photo, and in the posting box either hit CTRL + V or right click and hit "Paste"...and the link to the photo from photobucket should come up.

When you are done with your post to the thread, click on PREVIEW and if everything looks good, hit SUBMIT.
That's how I do it. There is probably an easier way but it works for me, so that's how I do it. If others want to share another method, please do.
It's quite lonely here B, but it's a magnificent topic!!!!
With pics (from internet) I always use my right mouse button.. then a menu appears and shows copy img url (I usually see that in Dutch, hope I translated it okay...) then you can post it on the site, by pasting it between img (beware, it has to end with .jpg!
Also counts for clips ()....
When I have a pic on the computer I use the same way as B ;)
Lots of love,

Lies

bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Annelies wrote:
It's quite lonely here B, but it's a magnificent topic!!!!
With pics (from internet) I always use my right mouse button.. then a menu appears and shows copy img url (I usually see that in Dutch, hope I translated it okay...) then you can post it on the site, by pasting it between img (beware, it has to end with .jpg!
Also counts for clips ()....
When I have a pic on the computer I use the same way as B ;)
Thank you Lies, for this "how to" - another way to post a photo or a clip. THAT is GREAT and you translated it just fine! See, us "oldies" can learn a thing or two still.

B
Titine1978

Post by Titine1978 »

bftlovesRDA wrote:
bftlovesRDA wrote:We have quite a few new members on our wonderful forum who might like to learn how to do some things that are not obvious on here.

Thanks in advance.
I didn't think this topic would receive a lot of replies....but....not to worry.....there are many on here who will help if you are a "newbie" and need to find out how to do something.

You can:
  • Ask Kate
    Ask another member through Private Messages (PM)
    Come to this thread and post a question
Good luck in all things related to rdanderson.com forum - to all newbies. You are very welcome....and hope to see you posting around the forum. Your ideas and comments are just as important as those of us "oldies".

I find your topic very interesting. Good idea. I don't really have any advice to give. However, I intend to read the tips posted.
Also I haven't yet understood the use of all the buttons above the writing area of a message (code :?: , list :?: ) :oops:

Have a nice day. ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Titine1978 wrote:
I find your topic very interesting. Good idea. I don't really have any advice to give. However, I intend to read the tips posted.
Also I haven't yet understood the use of all the buttons above the writing area of a message (code :?: , list :?: ) :oops:

Have a nice day. ;)
Hi there, Titine1978!

First - I was so delighted to learn from Lies how to post images - but now when I try it, it doesn't work. For anyone reading this who might know, what is the source of your images? And if I copy the location of the image (mine does not say copy the URL but copy the image location), and the result says "encrypted" in the location, does that mean it won't work? Because I have been trying to post another "thank you" image and it doesn't work. Nothing comes up. :( :( :(

As far as the tools at the top of the reply window and the little icons beside the reply window; I don't know what the "code" button does. The :?; and :!: buttons are just lo add emphasis to whatever you are typing.

The "list" button lets you type a list down the page. You click the "list" button (I don't know how the List= button works).

But when you click "List" button, this comes up: (I put in spaces between the word list and the brackets so you could see this): [ list ] [ /list ]

You put the words listed in between the last bracket of the first "list" and the first bracket of the last "list" and it will show your words in list form and it is indented.

So it shows up like this:
  • ONe
    Two
    Three
    Four
    Five
Hope that helps! More questions are good and more answers are even better. :D :D :D
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Trying out what Lies explained again - because it was not working after awhile.

Evidently, Lies' method doesn't work if the image location is encrypted. :( :( :(

I'll keep trying. If anybody who can help reads this, please do help. Thanks.
B
Titine1978

Post by Titine1978 »

bftlovesRDA wrote:
Titine1978 wrote:

Have a nice day. ;)
Hi there, Titine1978!

First - I was so delighted to learn from Lies how to post images - but now when I try it, it doesn't work. For anyone reading this who might know, what is the source of your images? And if I copy the location of the image (mine does not say copy the URL but copy the image location), and the result says "encrypted" in the location, does that mean it won't work? Because I have been trying to post another "thank you" image and it doesn't work. Nothing comes up. :( :( :(

As far as the tools at the top of the reply window and the little icons beside the reply window; I don't know what the "code" button does. The :?; and :!: buttons are just lo add emphasis to whatever you are typing.

The "list" button lets you type a list down the page. You click the "list" button (I don't know how the List= button works).

But when you click "List" button, this comes up: (I put in spaces between the word list and the brackets so you could see this): [ list ] [ /list ]

You put the words listed in between the last bracket of the first "list" and the first bracket of the last "list" and it will show your words in list form and it is indented.

So it shows up like this:
  • ONe
    Two
    Three
    Four
    Five
Hope that helps! More questions are good and more answers are even better. :D :D :D
Many thanks for your help. :D