Weapons discussion

Philippa M

Weapons discussion

Post by Philippa M »

I thought that maybe sooner or later that a discussion about guns should be discussed.
In 1996, Port Arthur Tasmania, 36 people were gunned to death in a mass killing spree by Martin Bryant... soon after our then Prime Minister, John Howard who banned guns and firearms (with the exception of professional shooters, olympians and farmers, vets). He created the 'Buy back scheme' where many weapons where bought in and the people were remerburst. This worked and gun violence here in Australia is rare. Last check we have approx. 3 million fire arms in Australia.

I understand fully that Richard is against weapons of this type and that they should be banned. I respect his view to a certain extent. However, I like many understand he dangers of weapons and i too would like to see these things being out of the hands of mentally unstable people, untrained and of course kids. On the flip side and since we good folks know that guns are bad, how do you tell the criminals... rapists... killer and the scum of society ... because these people won't listen. And how can a single lady like myself and many others... our elderly, sick and families... little kids, our pets.. how do we (if there is no guns) protect ourselves? How do we stop becoming just another statistic of a criminal act .. do we have the right to defend ourselves and what is deemed at 'reasonable force'...

As in recent time here in Perth, we've had these scummy crims turn around and sue the victims ... dogs have lost their lives biting and defending their families....

What is the answer? and Who has more rights? Guns?
Last edited by Philippa M on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Dean Anderson is Macgyver! .... *my hearts duet*
Anja

Re: RDA's stance on fire arms and guns

Post by Anja »

It's brave to state a topic like this but it shows that it really worries you.
I think the gun problem can be found in almost every country on our planet.
Laws and regulations cannot stop people from shooting when they really mean they must do it. This is human nature - Earth's population is growing rapidly and the more people live in an area the higher the level of aggression gets. Nobody can stop that because it's in our system. Rats bite each other to death, people use weapons. You can talk, you can teach social behaviour, you can pass laws - every human knows the rules but can decide against them.
As long as there are weapons available they will be used or should I write misused.
This is our world.
ANJA
CARPE DIEM Image
Philippa M

Post by Philippa M »

Guns do worry me, I am a single woman living on my own( we don't own any firearms), caring for my dying father and my furbabies... If someone wanted to break in to our house, wanted to rape, bash up or even kill one of us what can we do to protect ourselves? Because a 79 yr old man with heart disease and emphysema and me I am not physically strong enough to defend my father and pets. So what do we use to protect ourslves. are we meant to become another forgotten statistic.. if my dogs bit one of the sods, we'd lose our dogs
and we all know (us good folks) that guns are deadly bloody things- most of us are law abiding , especially in the wrong hands - teh hands of criminals and the distrubed. After the Sandy Hook killings, Port Arthur in Tasmania in 1996, The Lindt Cafe shootings in Sydney and now with today's tragic murder of Alison Parker and Adam Ward some how there has to be some way of stopping firearms getting into the wrong hands of these mentally sick people.

And your right on the money Anja, we are living in an overcrowded world were many people are jostling for space.We are all stressed,worried... battling to make ends meet. There is also a lot of people, some of whom are not coping mentally with all the modern day problems that we face.

mac_jack_fangirl

Post by mac_jack_fangirl »

I was almost hoping that there wasn't going to be a thread like this but, yes, it was pretty much inevitable. Do I or do I not post my thoughts?

I have my permit to carry my firearm and heaven forbid I ever have to use it. I'm a Brit by birth but now live in the US and my views have changed considerably. Maybe because I'm in the South helps.

More gun laws only succeed in hurting law abiding citizens who want to protect themselves and their families. So, if you see someone open carrying their firearm (in some states you have to carry concealed so you'll never know), please don't lump them together with some of the nutcases that are out there who think that toting their AR15 around Walmart is going to help the cause. They may be legal to do it but it doesn't always make it the right thing to do.

The Dad or Mom who wants to protect their children aren't doing it so show you how manly they are and to show off. Talk to them and for the most part they'd be most happy to tell you why they carry. They're no compensating for something else. Strapping a gun on you doesn't make you an instant policeman but responsible citizens who carry a firearm will make sure they know how to use it. Many ladies are getting their permit these days and you can see the reason why every day in the news.

I may not agree with RDA and even Amanda Tapping (I saw a clip on youtube last night of her talking about all the weapons they used on SG-1 and she said that Amanda Tapping believes no one should have guns but that Sam loved them), and I'll respect their right to their views but disarming the good people only makes them helpless. Criminals don't obey current laws so they're sure not going to obey new ones.

That's my .02 cents :)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I was almost hoping that there wasn't going to be a thread like this but, yes, it was pretty much inevitable.
I cringe every time this topic comes up too, mostly because it is such a hot-button issue and depends so heavily on cultural and historical backgrounds. But as long as it doesn't spiral into an angry debate, I can let it stand.

Also, please be careful of assuming "RDA's stance" on the issue. Although he has talked about his attitude toward handguns in the past, the issue is not quite so black-and-white.

Let me just thank the members for keeping the discussion here thoughtful and respectful.

Kate
Philippa M

Post by Philippa M »

To be honest I think I am on the fence when it comes to the issue of fireman/gun ownership. On one hand the authorities need to try and keep these weapons out the hands of criminals. On the other hand we do hand professional shooters, hunters, sports shooters and farmers as well as people in the types of jobs that requires guns...ie vets. and yet in recent times more and more individuals here have resorted to using knives, blood filled syringes to broken bottles to hurt and harm our citizens. I think that as a society we do need to protect ourselves and we do need to protect the more vulnerable, especially our elderly.

On the other hand how do the thugs in society , terrorists etc gain access to guns so easily ... i just don't know.

education about firearms, proper safety, handling and usage and storage of them must be taught. Stemming the flow of crime and criminal activity at he source should also be a priorty as well.

mac_jack_fangirl

Post by mac_jack_fangirl »

Philippa M wrote:To be honest I think I am on the fence when it comes to the issue of fireman/gun ownership. On one hand the authorities need to try and keep these weapons out the hands of criminals. On the other hand we do hand professional shooters, hunters, sports shooters and farmers as well as people in the types of jobs that requires guns...ie vets. and yet in recent times more and more individuals here have resorted to using knives, blood filled syringes to broken bottles to hurt and harm our citizens. I think that as a society we do need to protect ourselves and we do need to protect the more vulnerable, especially our elderly.

On the other hand how do the thugs in society , terrorists etc gain access to guns so easily ... i just don't know.

education about firearms, proper safety, handling and usage and storage of them must be taught. Stemming the flow of crime and criminal activity at he source should also be a priorty as well.
You're right... if someone wants to harm someone they'll find something to do it with that's available. And, yes, proper education is paramount for kids from a young age.
Philippa M

Post by Philippa M »

KateR wrote:
I was almost hoping that there wasn't going to be a thread like this but, yes, it was pretty much inevitable.
I cringe every time this topic comes up too, mostly because it is such a hot-button issue and depends so heavily on cultural and historical backgrounds. But as long as it doesn't spiral into an angry debate, I can let it stand.

Also, please be careful of assuming "RDA's stance" on the issue. Although he has talked about his attitude toward handguns in the past, the issue is not quite so black-and-white.

Let me just thank the members for keeping the discussion here thoughtful and respectful.

Kate

I agree Kate, people lose the argument with me when everyone starts getting abusive... often hot topics like guns, abortion, drugs, animal rights, womens rights , politics and most prodominantley religion certainly can most folks' blood fired up. I have always liked listening to, reading about other peoples POV and i have always believed that everyone is entitled to their opinions.. to me an opinion is never wrong as these come from your own thoughts and feelings... I just reckon if we all went and blindly agreed with each other, I reckon it'd get bloody boring.

Yeah keep it friendly, and then you learn about each other.

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Philippa M wrote:Yeah keep it friendly, and then you learn about each other.
But also keep in mind that this is a forum primarily about Richard Dean Anderson, so it's not really the ideal place for topics like guns, sexuality, abortion, drugs, animal rights, women's rights, politics, and religion. I allow it, as long as the discussion is civil and at least remotely related to RDA, but I've had to diffuse enough of these "discussions" in the past, that I still cringe when they show up.

Kate
Philippa M

Post by Philippa M »

Absolutely I have no interest in talking about the topics I wrote down and I am certainly donot want to talk about them... not on here. When I was at school last year, i was taught to add things as examples and issues like woman's rights and drugs. I am all about Richard like all you lovely ladies are.

I agree with you 100% Kate, and I never had any desire in discussing anything else apart from this topic, the rest are way to emotive and i do see nice people getting slammed... don't wanna see that on here. I mentioned guns because of Richards feelings about them and how passionate he is about banning these types of weapons. Just what I read about in the articles in the archives section.

I certainly want to stay Richard related so and i donot want to shift any focus away from him, I was thinking animal rights would be and Richard involved in animal rights and he's does love animals so that wouldn't this issue be ok to discuss and to support him on that as well I love animals to pieces as well. Er, talk about dogs? Richard is mad about dogs.

And anyone who loves animals is alright with me. Anyone who talks to his dogs is ok with me!