Website Redesign

KateR
Site Admin

Website Redesign

Post by KateR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

I developed this website 21 years ago. (yikes!) Back then, there was HTML2 (I think), and no such thing as CSS or javascript, and video beyond an animated GIF was unheard of. I was completely self-taught, and basically built the whole thing using nothing fancier than tables and frames. It's actually pretty amazing that it works as well as it does.

But nowadays we are up to HTML5, CSS3, javascript and video are everywhere, people need responsive designs to fit mobile devices, and frames are becoming so obsolete that soon they won't work at all. So, I've decided to improve my education and teach myself how to create a new design.

There's a lot to master. Right now I'm still playing around with color schemes and layout options. The big challenge will be replicating what frames can do. Because of frames, I can have a few thousand pictures or Lexicon entries showing up on the left side of the site and the links will make things happen in the main part of the page without reloading the whole thing. To me, that is the most efficient means of navigation because the page only opens once and everything is just one click away. Without frames, navigation becomes much more tricky, and I'm not sure of the best alternative. I think I've figured out how to keep parts of the page (like the header or navigation bar) from scrolling, but I also know they take up real estate on the screen and perhaps people would prefer if they scrolled out of the way? I may need to use breadcrumbs or javascript or popups to recreate something like the Photo Gallery, but not all devices can use that, and many people use popup blockers.

So... if anyone feels particularly skilled in any of these areas, I may be turning to you for suggestions. And I may be posting sample pages to get some feedback and to see what works best on different devices and in different situations. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions (I wish it were easier to reach... Or I have trouble finding... Or this never works right for me... Or I hate blue... Or whatever...) I'm open to suggestions!

(Even RDA asked once, "Can you change the picture on the front page?" But he never told me what he wanted it changed TO! I may need to get some feedback from him, too, though giving feedback is not his strongest trait. ;) )

Kate

bftlovesRDA

Re: Website Redesign

Post by bftlovesRDA » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:08 am

Hi, Kate,

I am not skilled in any of this website stuff. Not at all.

I just am in awe of your talents with the website and whatever you have to do, I guess it must be done. I hate that you have to go through all of this to redo everything.

Hopefully some will come along to help.

Maybe you need to post this message also in the News/Announcements section in case some don't read "off topics".

Thanks again for all you do.
B

frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 am

I think it would be a good idea to change something to the design, but without all to change, of course.

You're very kind to ask our feeling, Kate.
We're going to thinking there. Currently, it isn't easy to talk about, it is ? 😉
Personnely, the first think comes to my mind is the color. Maybe, the website could be more colored, not just blue.
And, about the picture on the first page, maybe could you post one more recent. Could we start a sondage, on the forum, with the choice between 3 or 4 pictures ? 😉. After, when Richard will watch the New photo, he gives his opinion...

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 pm

It is taking me forever to learn all the programming stuff that has happened in the last 20 years. Probably the main reason that the site has continued to work this long is that it was SIMPLE. But I'm trying to figure out how to make it "responsive" so that it resizes automatically on mobile devices, and it's an enormous pain.

I finally downloaded and started learning new software that is supposed to help with that, but it's not easy to learn. And the software allows you to build 125 pages and upload to a site with 20GB of space.

I checked the properties. My site is 50GB, and has 40,000 files. I'm not kidding. 40,000.

I enjoy learning new stuff, but this is going to take time. I may post some sample pages online for people to check out to see if they appear as they should on different devices. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the menu buttons to disappear into a little "Menu" symbol (three horizonal lines) with a drop-down when it reaches mobile size. Anyone know how to do that? I've been googling youtube and every one is different.

Once I get the basics, it should be fairly easy to change color schemes. As for pictures, it's not easy to find good hi-res current pictures that I own/can get the rights to for a homepage picture. I'll take suggestions, but I skimmed through my library of 10,000 pictures, and there aren't many.

Back to work.

Kate

UPDATE (two and a half hours later): I'm closing in on a solution for the disappearing menu, but it's easier to write it in raw code than to try to figure it out on the software! :roll: