What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

User avatar
KateR
Site Admin
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by KateR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:09 am

bftlovesRDA wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 am
Anyone who has seen this movie (Through the Eyes of a Killer) and who wants to add your comments to the discussion, please do so.
Strawberries..... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
The next movie I thought we could look at is "Pandora's Clock".
You're zipping through these pretty fast. I do plan to get them all into the Video Gallery soon. (I finally finished a huge project I was working on, so now I can go back to completing the Photo Gallery, and then move on to videos.)

Give me time and you'll be able to catch up with all of them. :)

Kate

User avatar
bftlovesRDA
Posts: 7304
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by bftlovesRDA » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 am

KateR wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:09 am
bftlovesRDA wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 am
Anyone who has seen this movie (Through the Eyes of a Killer) and who wants to add your comments to the discussion, please do so.
Strawberries..... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
The next movie I thought we could look at is "Pandora's Clock".
You're zipping through these pretty fast. I do plan to get them all into the Video Gallery soon. (I finally finished a huge project I was working on, so now I can go back to completing the Photo Gallery, and then move on to videos.)

Give me time and you'll be able to catch up with all of them. :)

Kate
Strawberries - yes.....them too. :D :oops: :D

My assorted and somewhat lengthy comments on "Through the Eyes of a Killer" are these......(And it would be GREAT if others would give their likes/dislikes about this movie).....

At first I hated this movie because I do not particularly like scary/thriller films like it and I did not like the idea of RDA as the killer.

But now I think it is absolutely one of RDA's best films as far as his acting skills go and I watch it over and over.....(along with his other films of course)

Viewers may feel some sympathy for Ray because Laurie basically rejects him.....and his mother was obviously a big part of his psychosis.....
But then there is the small problem of him being a mass killer (gotta remember the victims of all those years ago in that building.....)
So, aside from the fact that RDA looks so good in so many ways in this movie, it's tough to be "on his side" as you usually want to be when it's RDA...

And the ending is tantalizingly unclear = does Ray get away? Seems like he would have been cut almost in two by that metal door slicing down.....

Likes = RDA's appearance, RDA's depth of acting ability
Dislikes = don't like a potential rape/murder story

We can wait on Pandora's Clock for awhile and see if there are any more comments on Through the Eyes of a Killer...or In the Eyes of a Stranger... :D :D :roll: :roll:

(Look forward, Kate, to having all these movies in the video gallery.....so thanks in advance).
B

User avatar
NiLa
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:21 am
Location: Hesse, near Frankfurt, Germany

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by NiLa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:20 am

When I watched "Through the Eyes of a Killer" for the first time, I didn't know what to expect. I just knew, RDA was playing the bad guy that time, nothing more.

So at first I didn't realize at all that Ray was a psychopath. I thought it was a little weird that he told Laurie he wouldn't let her ex-boyfriend hurt her, as he didn't even know her by then. And it was weird, when he grabbed her in her apartment and they had that rough sex and he told her afterwards, that he had thought that she had been a burglar.
But I think he began to love her, and she didn't. So he was really hurt, when he asked her, if she loved him at all and she hesitated to answer and made it clear by that, she didn't. She just liked the sexual relationship with him. So she had said that before to her girlfriend Alison, that she didn't think she could love him because he was not as educated as her.
But I was surprised by her reaction after Ray had slept with Alison. She was upset and broke up with him and her immediately. So, what did she expect? On the other hand she had been cheated so often by her boyfriends, maybe that made her react that way. And I had the impression, that Ray was really sorry for having sex with Alison.

After he finished her apartment he left her a gift, a pyramid with an eye and the note "I won't let you go". It was exactly the same note, Laurie's ex-boyfriend Jerry had left on the flowers for her, after she broke up with him. That was the first time I thought: "That could get creepy."
Great also the scene when the bloody hand grabbed for Laurie in the shower, after Alison had disappeared out of her apartment.
Also that her electronic devices in the apartment turned on and off on their own was creepy.
When Alison was found dead and Laurie realized that Ray must have killed her and she was told by the police, that Ray had been found dead too, the movie got creepier with every minute for me.

One of the most thrilling part for me was, when all the puzzle pieces fell into place: Ray's mother telling Laurie's friend Max that Ray never had been married (he told her at their first date he had lost his wife to cancer), that she had raised Ray alone without a father, when it became clear, that she had been an overprotective mother, when Max studied the blueprints of the apartment and realized that Ray wasn't dead (but the body found belonged to Laurie's ex-boyfriend who had threatened Ray) but living inside Laurie's apartment walls.

The end of course got me sitting on the edge of my couch when Laurie was trapped inside her apartment and Ray nearly killed her and in the very end he escaped....and the movie ends with you sitting there, trembling, and wondering, where did he go and will he strike again....?

I especially liked the way symbols were used in the film.

- the all seeing and knowing eye in the window (what had this eye seen before, as the previous owner had been a mass murderer who had buried his victims within the walls of the apartment), also a symbol for her being watched through the gaps of the walls
- the little pyramid with again the eye as Ray's gift and a symbol for him watching her
- the dollhouse at their first date showing perfect life scenes of a "normal" family, a life Ray never had experienced and maybe had wished for
- later on the now smashed dollhouse, after their relationship had been broken

I am also asking myself, did Ray plan the whole thing from the start? Or did he make that plan after she broke up with him? If not, why did he lie to her about a wife he never had? Did he get the idea with the doubled walls because of the old newspaper article about the "history" of her apartment (which Max found when he took the blueprints)? Why had he the article in the first place? That is also a reason, why I like the film....it got me on the hook right away and always leaves me thinking about the character of Ray...

I even bought a book with the short story "The Master Builder" the movie is based on. And if you think the movie is creepy.....whoa....read the short story! :lol:

So, I like the movie very much, because it's absolutely thrilling.
RDA's performance is great and very convincing.

And like all of you, I won't complain about the fact, that he shows much skin there, too. :oops:

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)

User avatar
NiLa
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:21 am
Location: Hesse, near Frankfurt, Germany

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by NiLa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:37 am

bftlovesRDA wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 am
KateR wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:09 am
bftlovesRDA wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 am
Anyone who has seen this movie (Through the Eyes of a Killer) and who wants to add your comments to the discussion, please do so.
Strawberries..... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
The next movie I thought we could look at is "Pandora's Clock".
You're zipping through these pretty fast. I do plan to get them all into the Video Gallery soon. (I finally finished a huge project I was working on, so now I can go back to completing the Photo Gallery, and then move on to videos.)

Give me time and you'll be able to catch up with all of them. :)

Kate
Strawberries - yes.....them too. :D :oops: :D

My assorted and somewhat lengthy comments on "Through the Eyes of a Killer" are these......(And it would be GREAT if others would give their likes/dislikes about this movie).....

At first I hated this movie because I do not particularly like scary/thriller films like it and I did not like the idea of RDA as the killer.

But now I think it is absolutely one of RDA's best films as far as his acting skills go and I watch it over and over.....(along with his other films of course)

Viewers may feel some sympathy for Ray because Laurie basically rejects him.....and his mother was obviously a big part of his psychosis.....
But then there is the small problem of him being a mass killer (gotta remember the victims of all those years ago in that building.....)
So, aside from the fact that RDA looks so good in so many ways in this movie, it's tough to be "on his side" as you usually want to be when it's RDA...

And the ending is tantalizingly unclear = does Ray get away? Seems like he would have been cut almost in two by that metal door slicing down.....

Likes = RDA's appearance, RDA's depth of acting ability
Dislikes = don't like a potential rape/murder story

We can wait on Pandora's Clock for awhile and see if there are any more comments on Through the Eyes of a Killer...or In the Eyes of a Stranger... :D :D :roll: :roll:

(Look forward, Kate, to having all these movies in the video gallery.....so thanks in advance).
Yes, I agree that it is one of his best films.....and it was such a great contrast to MacGyver!

I don't think that he was the one, who killed all the students 15 years ago. When Max and Laurie found the newspaper article, it was said, that the killer had been caught. I can't believe that a mass murderer would be released out of prison (if he was in prison). Wouldn't such a killer not get a death sentence? Or he would be locked up in a psychiaty forever...unless he broke out.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)

User avatar
bftlovesRDA
Posts: 7304
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by bftlovesRDA » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm

GREAT analysis, Anja. Thank you for the details. They make me relive the story and want to re-watch the movie.....so I did. :D :D :D
I am also asking myself, did Ray plan the whole thing from the start? Or did he make that plan after she broke up with him? If not, why did he lie to her about a wife he never had? Did he get the idea with the doubled walls because of the old newspaper article about the "history" of her apartment (which Max found when he took the blueprints)? Why had he the article in the first place? That is also a reason, why I like the film....it got me on the hook right away and always leaves me thinking about the character of Ray...
Absolutely agree - have wondered the same thing = did Ray plan the whole thing from the start? It leaves you guessing and, as you said, thinking about Ray's character.
I even bought a book with the short story "The Master Builder" the movie is based on. And if you think the movie is creepy.....whoa....read the short story! :lol:
Wow - I don't think I could read that book - while the movie is scary, it does have RDA in it as a redeeming factor for me. The book would not have him....and, as I said in my comments, I don't usually like scary movies about a psychotic murderer.
So, I like the movie very much, because it's absolutely thrilling.
RDA's performance is great and very convincing.

And like all of you, I won't complain about the fact, that he shows much skin there, too. :oops:

Anja ;)
Totally agree on all you just said.....RDA said he "got in shape" for that movie and what a good shape he was in...... :oops: :oops: :oops:

and then you wrote
I don't think that he was the one, who killed all the students 15 years ago. When Max and Laurie found the newspaper article, it was said, that the killer had been caught. I can't believe that a mass murderer would be released out of prison (if he was in prison). Wouldn't such a killer not get a death sentence? Or he would be locked up in a psychiaty forever...unless he broke out.
You're exactly right = I had not noticed that detail - that the mass murderer of 15 years earlier had been caught. Yes, that murderer would have either been in prison or would have gotten the death penalty. I had not seen that detail so that's why I was thinking Ray had done that = since when he was telling Laurie why he had to kill Allison - it was to stop her from telling Laurie about what happened 15 years ago and he just "couldn't let her do that."......Anyway - yes, he probably just got the idea to find a way to live in those walls and watch Laurie....but do you think he built in those heavy metal panels that ended up sliding down and trapping Laurie inside the apartment during the closing scenes or do you think they were part of the apartment construction from that previous mass killer's time? If Ray built those in himself during the renovation, then he was planning something bad from the start...wasn't he?

Thank you again for all your good analysis and comments. :D :D :D

I hope others who have not commented will watch the movie and let us know their thoughts too.
B

User avatar
NiLa
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:21 am
Location: Hesse, near Frankfurt, Germany

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by NiLa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:47 pm

bftlovesRDA wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm
You're exactly right = I had not noticed that detail - that the mass murderer of 15 years earlier had been caught. Yes, that murderer would have either been in prison or would have gotten the death penalty. I had not seen that detail so that's why I was thinking Ray had done that = since when he was telling Laurie why he had to kill Allison - it was to stop her from telling Laurie about what happened 15 years ago and he just "couldn't let her do that."......Anyway - yes, he probably just got the idea to find a way to live in those walls and watch Laurie....but do you think he built in those heavy metal panels that ended up sliding down and trapping Laurie inside the apartment during the closing scenes or do you think they were part of the apartment construction from that previous mass killer's time? If Ray built those in himself during the renovation, then he was planning something bad from the start...wasn't he?
Thanks for you comment, B.

I think he did not built in the metal panels, because one crashed down when he just started the work. Ray said he would take care for her about that - that he did, but in his own way :shock:

And that he said the building had been talking to him and told him to kill Alison, that wasn't the first time he said that. He told Laurie earlier that places talk to him and tell him how and what they wanted to be. Not a bad thing for a master builder (I think), it is a great way to express one's creativity in renovating a room/building.
But usually buildings don't tell you to kill someone else... :oops:

I think, from his perspective, he had to kill Alison, because if she had told Laurie, what happened in her apartment 15 years ago, she might get so freaked out, that she would leave and maybe even sell the apartment, and so he would have lost his ability to watch her.
Same with Jerry, he threatened him to press charges, and because Ray was not a registered architect he might lose his business (and that he needed the money he said right in the beginning. But that could have been said, because he wanted to start a relationship with her, I am not sure about it).

I bought the book out of curiosity to read the story, the movie was based on. I did the same with Pandora's Clock. Btw, the movie Pandora's Clock is very much closer to the book than "Through the Eyes of a Killer".
And usually I am not a viewer or reader of that kind of movies/books either.

I hope, many of you will join the discussion and give their opinion about that movie, too.

And maybe we shouldn't rush so quickly through the movies or we will run out in a few weeks. :P

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)

User avatar
JackGywer
Posts: 5381
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:52 pm
Location: Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by JackGywer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:59 pm

So unfortunately I only have the German version of the movie, by having a really terrible dubbing voice. Not to mention the quality, simply videotape :roll:
I really wish there was this movie on DVD.


Of course, his appearance in the movie was really breathtaking, but you should not forget his acting performance. Very believable for me.
I was already scared a little and such thrillers are far scarier than horror movies. For a long time I sat there pleading, no, he can not be, no, he certainly is not! Although I knew, it was him!
I'm also a fan of Marg Helgenberger.
That's why I enjoyed the movie twice as much :D
RDA was extremely sexy in this movie-who could forget the strawberry scene-oh man! :oops:
The end was terrible, he acted like a monster! Of course, Ray was a monster!
I think I sat there with my mouth open.
A complete opposite to MacGyver.
Really well done Mr. Anderson!!



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by JackGywer on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de


I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.


J.K.

User avatar
bftlovesRDA
Posts: 7304
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by bftlovesRDA » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:24 pm


Thanks for you comment, B.

I think he did not built in the metal panels, because one crashed down when he just started the work. Ray said he would take care for her about that - that he did, but in his own way :shock:
You're right = the metal panels were already there - I had forgotten that little tidbit...... :cry:
And that he said the building had been talking to him and told him to kill Alison, that wasn't the first time he said that. He told Laurie earlier that places talk to him and tell him how and what they wanted to be. Not a bad thing for a master builder (I think), it is a great way to express one's creativity in renovating a room/building. But usually buildings don't tell you to kill someone else... :oops:
True.
I think, from his perspective, he had to kill Alison, because if she had told Laurie, what happened in her apartment 15 years ago, she might get so freaked out, that she would leave and maybe even sell the apartment, and so he would have lost his ability to watch her.
Same with Jerry, he threatened him to press charges, and because Ray was not a registered architect he might lose his business (and that he needed the money he said right in the beginning. But that could have been said, because he wanted to start a relationship with her, I am not sure about it).
You're right.
I bought the book out of curiosity to read the story, the movie was based on. I did the same with Pandora's Clock. Btw, the movie Pandora's Clock is very much closer to the book than "Through the Eyes of a Killer". And usually I am not a viewer or reader of that kind of movies/books either.
You are a dedicated movie watcher = reading the books that go with the films shows dedication. I admire that.
I hope, many of you will join the discussion and give their opinion about that movie, too.

And maybe we shouldn't rush so quickly through the movies or we will run out in a few weeks. :P
It will be great to read the comments of others who have watched this movie....and maybe this will motivate some who have not seen it to watch it.
Anja ;)
B

User avatar
NiLa
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:21 am
Location: Hesse, near Frankfurt, Germany

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by NiLa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:26 pm

JackGywer wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:59 pm
So unfortunately I only have the German version of the movie, by having a really terrible dubbing voice. Not to mention the quality, simply videotape :roll:
I really wish there was this movie on DVD.


Of course, his appearance in the movie was really breathtaking, but you should not forget his acting performance. Very believable for me.
I was already scared a little and such thrillers are far scarier than horror movies. For a long time I sat there pleading, no, he can not be, no, he certainly is not! Although I knew, it was him!
I'm also a fan of Marge Helgenberger.
That's why I enjoyed the movie twice as much :D
RDA was extremely sexy in this movie-who could forget the strawberry scene-oh man! :oops:
The end was terrible, he acted like a monster! Of course, Ray was a monster!
I think I sat there with my mouth open.
A complete opposite to MacGyver.
Really well done Mr. Anderson!!



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Ist's a shame that the movie isn't on DVD, you are right. So I recommend to watch it on YouTube, the links are posted in the beginning of this topic.
The monster watching in original English language ist well worth it!

Oh and thanks for the breathtaking pictures btw. :oops: :oops: :oops:


Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)

User avatar
bftlovesRDA
Posts: 7304
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by bftlovesRDA » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 pm

So unfortunately I only have the German version of the movie, by having a really terrible dubbing voice. Not to mention the quality, simply videotape :roll:
I really wish there was this movie on DVD.
I am sorry you have to put up with the terrible dubbing voice - RDA's voice really adds to the film/scary-ness of it and sexiness of it.
Of course, his appearance in the movie was really breathtaking, but you should not forget his acting performance. Very believable for me.
I was already scared a little and such thrillers are far scarier than horror movies. For a long time I sat there pleading, no, he can not be, no, he certainly is not! Although I knew, it was him!


Absolutely true - BREATHTAKING! IS RIGHT!!! Which is why I have watched this so many times.....

I'm also a fan of Marge Helgenberger.
That's why I enjoyed the movie twice as much :D


I did not know about Marge Helgenberger until this movie. She was brilliant in it also.

RDA was extremely sexy in this movie-who could forget the strawberry scene-oh man! :oops:
The end was terrible, he acted like a monster! Of course, Ray was a monster!
I think I sat there with my mouth open.
A complete opposite to MacGyver.
Really well done Mr. Anderson!!
Ain't it the truth! I think this film is spectacularly good and, as you say, RDA was extremely sexy in it. But I, like you, would buy it if it were out on DVD. Til then, we will have to settle for what we have = youtube right now and soon we will have this movie in the video section of this website.

JK - thank you for the HOT photos that go with "Through the Eyes of a Killer". They are TO DIE FOR! :D :D :D


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
B

Post Reply