The Chicago Tribune. May 28, 1989
By Cheryl Lavin
RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON -- FAST TRACK
- Birthday: January 23, 1950
- Birthplace: Minneapolis
- Occupation: Actor
- Current homes: Los Angeles and Vancouver, B.C.
- Marital status: Single
- Car: A brown Jeep CJ7
- Working on: Macgyver on ABC-TV on Monday nights
- The last good movie I saw was: Lawrence of Arabia
- The book I've been recommending lately is: Will, by G. Gordon Liddy. I just started his novel Out of Control. I'm fascinated by him as an extraordinary human being.
- Favorite performer: Leo Kottke. He's a guitar player extraordinaire who plays classical and jazz and everything in between except rock 'n roll.
- Favorite childhood memory: A bike trip to Canada when I was 17 that was extraordinary. I started out with two buddies, but after a month, I was alone. I went up to Alaska and through the Yukon. I was gone for three months.
- Every New Year's I resolve: For the last 6 or 7 years, I've been on the beach in Maui, and at midnight I've stood in the ocean, stark raving naked, and toasted the Moon. I resolve to keep doing it.
- I'd give anything to meet: Kim Basinger
- Prized possessions: I have a loft in a funky part of Vancouver. It's 3,300 square feet filled with my pinball machines and juke-boxes.
- People who knew me in high school thought I was: An enigma. I was always bouncing from one group to another, from the jocks to the kids on the debate team. I think they're pretty curious about how the long-haired freak of yesteryear changed into the long-haired television personality of today.
- Behind my back my friends say: "He's so tall."
- If I've learned one thing in life, it's: If you don't want people to know something, don't tell them.
- My most humbling experience: I crashed two racing cars in two months. I thought I knew what I was doing, but that brought me back to reality. Coming close to death humbles you.
- Three words that describe me best: Adventurous, curious, and anxious.
Lavin, Cheryl. "Richard Dean Anderson -- Fast Track." The Chicago Tribune. May 28, 1989.